Crappy upcoming cards

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Crappy upcoming cards
Svabbi
4/5/07 9:38:59AM
How is it possible that there are 3 UFC/Pride cards this weekend and hardly one interesting fight?
Mayo
4/5/07 10:03:01AM
I think there is an overabundance of TUF fighters with contracts and also there are so many smaller organizations these days that fighters are being spread thin across all of them. Back in the day when you just had UFC and Pride, fighters would be lining up to get a chance to fight. These days decent fighters are headlining the small shows. Furthermore, we're seeing one UFC ppv per month now. Back in the day it would be a small handful of ppv per year.
AchillesHeel
4/5/07 10:20:15AM
"Hardly one interesting fight"? I'm going to assume this is just hyperbole. I'm very much looking forward to tonight's UFC Fight Night and the premiere of TUF 5. I'm on the fence about this weekend's PPV events, because of the cost. If I can arrange to see them without spending $40, I won't hesitate to do so. I might spring for one of them, but definitely not for both.

As Mayo points out, there are now many, many events every year. Every organization is scrambling to scout new talent, and personally I think they're doing a good job. The fact that I haven't heard of many of these fighters is exciting to me, not disappointing.

From a subjective perspective, there are just natural ups and downs. I think the UFC 70 card is way more exciting than this weekend's card. And that'll make three UFC events in one month, by the way - not counting the debut of TUF 5 - and two of them will be free here in the U.S.

And that's not even counting the IFL and BodogFight. I'll be lucky if I can remember all of the fights I watched, by the end of April.
ffforgottenx
4/5/07 10:37:16AM
i think there are plenty of interesting fights coming up this weekend.. maybe not to everybody, but alot of them are interesting to me.. you should watch them anyway, maybe you will pick up on something new
shackle
4/5/07 12:30:17PM
Just because they don't have all big name fighters fighting doesn't mean there won't be some great fights.

Hell I'd rather watch a war vs No names then a lackluster fight vs contenders. However top fighters fighting is very interesting, and normally makes up some good wars.

I want to watch quite a few fights upcoming... I do think the pride card is a bit weak though.
hippysmacker
4/5/07 12:30:53PM
I agree that there are plenty of interseting fight's, and even more competitive fight's I want to see. What I think this weekend lacks are real championship caliber matches. I think Serra has very little chance against GSP, and I wouldn't want that to headline my card if I was the UFC. Wandy/Igor would have been a worthy Pride headlineer 5 years ago, now it's just something us diehard's want to see. Still, I am a diehard , and will get both
Trapt1nw0nder
4/5/07 12:55:15PM
"Crappy upcoming cards"?.....not in my opinion.....and more other knowledged MMA fans here....i think these cards are great!....April will be an awesome month for us fans!
Jeffanori-Gomi
4/5/07 12:59:53PM
I really think the PRIDE card does look a little lack luster, but if its half as exciting as PRIDE 33 we will be in for a treat.

the UFC card has some solid bouts as well but none that really stick out above the rest. IMO Kos and Deigo will be the fight of the nite.
hathcock32
4/5/07 1:58:23PM
No card is a bad card to me. I love it all. The Main Event could be Ross Pointon vs Frank Mir and i would watch it. Its all good to me. You never know whats going to happen. I would rather watch good fights where you might not no much about the guy, opposed to Main guys fighting and getting quick KO's or Sub's. One of the fights that no one is talking about could be the best...example Serra takes GSP 4 rounds get him in some submission attempts...you never know. Imes vs Herring turns into a brawl.
hippysmacker
4/5/07 2:22:12PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

I really think the PRIDE card does look a little lack luster, but if its half as exciting as PRIDE 33 we will be in for a treat.

the UFC card has some solid bouts as well but none that really stick out above the rest. IMO Kos and Deigo will be the fight of the nite.

Excellent point. The majority of folks were complaining about that card, and it turned out to be one of the 2 most exciting Pride cards ever IMO.
ManBeast
4/5/07 5:13:33PM
the UFC 69 card does seem a bit lackluster, but I do think the Kos-Sanchez fight will be the fight of the night as well. I'm looking forward to Pride as well, its got some fun bouts in there along with Wandy vs Igor ( its a make or break fight for wandy a lot to ride on it imo)

looks like a pretty good month to me, although I can't wait for liddel-Jackson 2, hopefully the new Pride event will have something quickly underway as well.
Ultimate_fighter
4/5/07 7:28:19PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

"Crappy upcoming cards"?.....not in my opinion.....and more other knowledged MMA fans here....i think these cards are great!....April will be an awesome month for us fans!