Couture: If UFC Wanted Me To Fight Anderson Silva, I'd Be All Over That

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Couture: If UFC Wanted Me To Fight Anderson Silva, I'd Be All Over That
DCRage
7/20/10 2:16:05PM
Although he's got to get through James Toney first, Randy Couture appears ready to jump onto the bandwagon that is an Anderson Silva fight. "I'm definitely interested at fighting at 205. I think Anderson would be a great fight. I'm not sure what his perspective has been the last couple of times, though. I think since the Cote fight he's taken on a different style and hasn't been as explosive, not trying to finish fights early on. I don't know if it's concerning, but it's interesting where he's coming from with that. He certainly still has that capability. Maia, Cote, he could have finished those guys if he wanted to take the risk, so I'm not sure what's going on where he doesn't want to step up and take that risk. I think he's a fantastic fighter, and if that's someone they want me to compete against I'd be all over that."

Article
icantthinkofanything
7/20/10 3:01:12PM
It is becoming more clear that a guy who could theoretically outwrestle Silva like Chael hopefully plans to, is the best way to beat Silva. Smother the spider. Im sure Randy could do it up against the cage, maybe not get the takedopwn tho. In a 3 rd fight, there is more a chance of upseting Silva than in a 5 rder imo. If Randy fought Andy I would hope for more action than the Randy Vera fight. GSP may be the only guy to beat Silva imo, and that would be a great fight.
seanfu
7/20/10 3:10:41PM

Posted by icantthinkofanything

It is becoming more clear that a guy who could theoretically outwrestle Silva like Chael hopefully plans to, is the best way to beat Silva. Smother the spider. Im sure Randy could do it up against the cage, maybe not get the takedopwn tho. In a 3 rd fight, there is more a chance of upseting Silva than in a 5 rder imo. If Randy fought Andy I would hope for more action than the Randy Vera fight. GSP may be the only guy to beat Silva imo, and that would be a great fight.

He could sub both. GSP can probably win via sitting in guard.
BigIP
7/20/10 3:18:56PM
Can you imagine if Machida ever fought Silva? It would turn into a game of tag with both of them running away from each other. LOL. I think Rampage, Shogun and Machinda have the best chance of beating him.
jlock003
7/20/10 3:26:06PM
I mean, I appreciate the willingness to fight anybody, but that fight would be suicide for Randy....does everybody remember the last two Chuck fights with Couture??? Silva is a better striker now than Chuck was then IMO and I'm a huge Chuck fan, but Anderson is nasty with his strikes.
seanfu
7/20/10 3:53:54PM

Posted by jlock003

I mean, I appreciate the willingness to fight anybody, but that fight would be suicide for Randy....does everybody remember the last two Chuck fights with Couture??? Silva is a better striker now than Chuck was then IMO and I'm a huge Chuck fan, but Anderson is nasty with his strikes.

Randy would be a toy in all ranges but the clinch, and that would be offenseless anyway
icantthinkofanything
7/20/10 3:54:03PM
I think the the people to do the best or possibly win Vs Silva in order from greatest chance are
1. GSP
2.Shogun Rua
3.Jon Jones
4.Chael-Randy tie
5.Lyoto
6.Rashad
7.Rampage

GSP and Shogun have a 50-50 chance of Beating Anderson imo. The rest I give them 10% chance.

If Silva submitted Maia, I would have thought Silva was the best ever, but his last fight was weird and dissapointing to me. Silva looked a little gassed and a little less invincible, especially when Maia practically won the last round imo
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Wand_is_GOD
7/20/10 3:58:13PM
I think Couture might have a chance to get the W in this fight if it goes down, It will be interesting to watch
bjj1605
7/20/10 4:22:46PM
Considering Randy's chin lately I think this would be a horrible match up. He's strong, a great wrestler, and a great grappler. If he could take anderson down over and over he could win a decision or maybe even get a stoppage if Anderson gassed in a 5 round fight.

But that's 25 mins that he has to avoid getting hit by one of the most accurate, powerful, and technical strikers that ever lived.
Pookie
7/20/10 4:37:26PM
I think Silva beats Gsp decisively, and early.

You need to go to 205 if you want to find someone who can beat Anderson. Gsp wont be able to mount any offense on the ground because he'll need all of his strength to hold position. If he starts Gnp'ing Anderson will just stand up like Alves did.
sparky
7/20/10 4:50:21PM

I think the the people to do the best or possibly win Vs Silva in order from greatest chance are
1. GSP
2.Shogun Rua
3.Jon Jones
4.Chael-Randy tie
5.Lyoto
6.Rashad
7.Rampage

GSP and Shogun have a 50-50 chance of Beating Anderson imo. The rest I give them 10% chance.

If Silva submitted Maia, I would have thought Silva was the best ever, but his last fight was weird and dissapointing to me. Silva looked a little gassed and a little less invincible, especially when Maia practically won the last round imo

Vitor will beat Anderson mark my words
seanfu
7/20/10 5:13:27PM

Posted by sparky

1. GSP
2.Shogun Rua
3.Jon Jones
4.Chael-Randy tie
5.Lyoto
6.Rashad
7.Rampage

Vitor will beat Anderson mark my words

Vitor will be made to look like a child. Mark those.
srund21
7/20/10 6:30:53PM
Randy would probably lose that fight. His head movement isn't good enough to fight Anderson in the stand-up game. I don't see this fight ever happening...could be wrong.

Vitor could beat Anderson I think. His hands are good, accurate, and very fast. But there are so many elements to being a good mixed martial artist who knows what would happen if that fight were to go to the ground....We will have to wait to see what will happen in the fight with Sonnen.
Boo_Radley21
7/20/10 7:20:56PM
I want to see that it would be awesome, even though Randy would probably get knocked out cold. I'd also like to see him fight Wanderlei
seanfu
7/20/10 9:00:03PM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

I want to see that it would be awesome, even though Randy would probably get knocked out cold. I'd also like to see him fight Wanderlei

Holy **** I never thought about that matchup, that would be epic.
AchillesHeel
7/20/10 9:08:36PM
There isn't anyone at 205 or under that I would pick to beat Anderson Silva, but an upset is always possible.
SamPan
7/20/10 10:30:10PM
For some reason I just think Chael's the guy to beat Silva. I could see him breaking Silva's will just by holding him down and nullifying his offense. Randy obviously has great wrestling too. Great gameplans too. But I don't think he'd be willing, like Chael, to hold Silva down for five rds. I think he'd try to make the fight more interesting, testing himself in his clinch game and standup, and end up getting caught there.
hate4thestate
7/20/10 10:52:53PM
"I'd be all over that" ?????

does he mean face planting on the canvas?
tcunningham
7/21/10 1:53:12AM
theres definitly the possibility of randy getting ko'd but at the same time he could bring a serious fight to silva. i rally think that he can bring the fight to anybody out there. theres one thing thats for sure and that is at some point randy will get the clinch and take silva down. i would love to see that fight just cause its randy
jlock003
7/21/10 11:41:58AM
I realize that Randy has a solid clinch game...but has everybody forgotten that Silva has the most dangerous clinch in the game??? I know randy likes to work over/under and utilize dirty boxing, but Rich tried to use the over under in the first Silva fight and Anderson pummelled right into his Muay Thai Plum and we all remember what happened from there. Rich said after that fight that he thought the clinch would be a sweet spot for him, but he had no clue that Anderson would be so strong. I feel like the only place we haven't seen Silva is maybe in Side-control off his back. Lutter got the mount and silva pulled some WWE reversal **** to get out of that, but I don't recall seeing him on his back in side controll....did Hendo get him there? He isn't a real vulnerable guy in any situation especially not in the clinch.