Couture-Toney UFC 118 Fight Nearly Set; Weight Issue Last Hurdle

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Couture-Toney UFC 118 Fight Nearly Set; Weight Issue Last Hurdle
Jshep714
5/12/10 12:11:26AM
Randy Couture wants it, James Toney wants it, and Dana White wants it, so what's holding up the Couture-Toney UFC 118 fight? Simple, it's a weight-ing game.

The fight, according to two sources MMA Fighting spoke with, could be signed as early as this weekend. There are only a few small issues to be worked out, including what weight the fight will be contested at.

LINK
jae_1833
5/12/10 12:46:30AM
It won't matter to Couture, he will get the takedown and GNP or Sub in the first regardless.........
brutalbones
5/12/10 1:06:29AM

Posted by jae_1833

It won't matter to Couture, he will get the takedown and GNP or Sub in the first regardless.........

THIS
BlueSkiesBurn
5/12/10 2:19:37AM
I still say James Toney has a shot at that knockout.
Jshep714
5/12/10 2:46:55AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Call me crazy, but I hope Toney wins. I'll pick Randy because thats the smart pick, but I have never really liked Randy.
DuncanFan819
5/12/10 2:52:12AM
Hopefully Randy gets KTFO
BlueSkiesBurn
5/12/10 2:56:59AM
I want Toney to win but after the Daley-Koscheck fight, I won't make that mistake again. Randy will do the same thing Kos did only finish it. Unless Toney catches him on the way in for a take-down, which could happen, I will be picking Couture TKO via GnP.
finnish_line
5/12/10 10:29:24AM

I hope the fight takes place at Super-Heavyweight!
DCRage
5/12/10 10:40:35AM
Any MMA fan who wants Toney to win is not a true MMA fan. It would be one of the worst things to happen to MMA from a boxing standpoint.
Jshep714
5/12/10 12:06:39PM

Posted by DCRage

Any MMA fan who wants Toney to win is not a true MMA fan. It would be one of the worst things to happen to MMA from a boxing standpoint.

Yep you got me, I hate MMA haha. Hopefully James Toney takes out Randy and then works his way up to Brock to take him out too.

It's not going to happen so its not much to worry about, besides Ray Mercer already knocked out a former UFC champ and nothing too much came of that.

Randy will win by TKO in Round 1
Taylor8766
5/12/10 4:01:29PM
No way Couture is losing this fight, simple GNP stoppage in the first, as for weight shout take place at HW give Toney the weight advantage, cause to be all honest Couture is a very good boxer and will be able to stand with Toney.
MaxOne
5/12/10 4:07:44PM
is the Mayorga vs. Din Thomas thing still happening?
I read it was off cuz of don king but it's still listed on wagers/picks.

that should be a preview of couture vs. toney.
ThaAxeMurderer7
5/12/10 4:28:20PM

Posted by MaxOne

is the Mayorga vs. Din Thomas thing still happening?
I read it was off cuz of don king but it's still listed on wagers/picks.

that should be a preview of couture vs. toney.

Last I heard it's still on for this Saturday. Shine Fights CEO Devin Price said that Don King is the boxing promoter for Mayorga and Shine Fights is the mma promoter so the fight will go on as planned.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/12/10 4:33:14PM

Posted by DCRage

I couldn't disagree with you more. Wanting Toney to win has nothing to do with wanting to see boxing surpass MMA. I've been a James Toney fan for sometime and I want him to win because I have more emotionally invested in him than I do Randy Couture. I've never liked or disliked Captain America. I am sort of indifferent about him. I don't know what it is. I would definitely disagree that I am not a "true fan" just because I want someone other than Couture to win.
BustedKnuckle
5/12/10 7:27:47PM

Posted by Jshep714

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Call me crazy, but I hope Toney wins. I'll pick Randy because thats the smart pick, but I have never really liked Randy.

BOO THIS MAN!!!!!!!!!

I cant wait to see Randy TD and smash Toney through the canvas
BlueSkiesBurn
5/12/10 7:34:08PM
I guess my question becomes this, why are we even posting this thread if the people that will be pulling for Toney are just gonna be boo'ed and told they aren't a true MMA fan? It should really just have the article and then "thread closed." I've never received so much flack for a pick since I've been on this forum or told that if I want someone to win, I am not a true MMA fan.
prozacnation1978
5/12/10 7:42:25PM
Will be a catchweight just watch maybe 215
I gotta go with couture smart fighter dirty boxing takedowns
And sub him out or ground n pound
Toney will gas out!!!
Caesarrrr
5/12/10 8:32:25PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I want Toney to win but after the Daley-Koscheck fight, I won't make that mistake again. Randy will do the same thing Kos did only finish it. Unless Toney catches him on the way in for a take-down, which could happen, I will be picking Couture TKO via GnP.

As I do so often, I stopped reading after I decided to quote this, excuse me for any repeated comments.

The difference I see here is that Coture has a glass Jaw, where as Kos has only ever been KO'd once, and everyone can be caught. His Takedowns are far superior to that of Coture's as well.

As to the matchup, it should be obvious that Toney has been drilling TD def like it's his job (which it is), and he has a serious chance of KOing Coture early.

Coture says he wants to fight Toney at 205, because he feels Toney will be better there, but that's bullshit. He wants Toney at 206 because Toney will have less energy there, due to the cut, and he'll be able to gas him out on the cage and ground, and eliminate any chance of a KO later. At 265, Toney has far more power than Coture can get, and hopefully more size.

I'm sure Coture will win, but I hope he gets KTFO, because I never want to see him fight again.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/12/10 8:38:20PM

Coture says he wants to fight Toney at 205, because he feels Toney will be better there, but that's bullshit. He wants Toney at 206 because Toney will have less energy there, due to the cut, and he'll be able to gas him out on the cage and ground, and eliminate any chance of a KO later

Can you clear this up for me? I'm not being a douche, I'm seriously confused. Did you mean 206-265 rather than 205 or did mean that the one pound will severely impact the fight.
Caesarrrr
5/12/10 9:41:32PM
It was completely a typo, I'm in Miami and i wasn't even looking at my screen when I was typing, I'm sitting on the balcony checking **** out, and I usually have faith in my typing skills, sorry. 205.
Wolfgang666
5/22/10 2:33:55PM

Posted by Taylor8766

No way Couture is losing this fight, simple GNP stoppage in the first, as for weight shout take place at HW give Toney the weight advantage, [b]cause to be all honest Couture is a very good boxer and will be able to stand with Toney. [/b]

I fear there are two people on this planet who seriously believe this is true, and Couture may be the other person. If this is indeed the case I hope Randy says he loves whatever new chick he'd have been divorcing in three years before the fight.

BlueSkiesBurn
5/22/10 6:09:54PM

That was great.
c-dub
7/21/10 5:47:37PM
I could't agree more!!!!!!