Couture Speaks out On Lawsuit

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Couture Speaks out On Lawsuit
DCRage
2/7/08 8:10:58AM
UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture recently spoke out on the recent lawsuit filed by Zuffa against him, which Couture may have further fueled by cornering Mike Pyle at a Canadian MMA event recently. Zuffa claimed that was a no-no in his employment contract.

Article
MALICE
2/7/08 11:14:44AM
I'm already tired of hearing about Randy and Dana flexing their nuts at each other. And I know there are many months to come, so I better get used to it. It's quite obvious that Dana has his story, Randy has his story, and somewhere in the middle is the truth.
RMFG_187
2/7/08 11:23:54AM
randys gonna lose, but thats cuz its zuffa.

and wtf is up with ur avatar, u a nazi?
Darnok
2/7/08 11:24:42AM
I still can't figure out why he didn't just finish his contract and then leave. It would have made him look like the bigger man in front of the fans. Unless the whole reason he did it in the first place was to make the UFC look bad.
DCRage
2/7/08 12:03:14PM
The whole reason Randy's left...well, there really are 2 reasons that stick out: Money and Fedor. Randy apparently felt he wasn't getting paid enough per fight (probably seeking more Liddell money, around $500K per fight) and he wasn't happy about UFC not being able to sign Fedor as that now seems to be the only fight he wants.
Shawn17
2/7/08 12:07:08PM
Zuffa seems to have a lot of stipulations in their contracts that seem unfufillable. I think Randy will win.
prozacnation1978
2/7/08 12:48:43PM
how could randy want to come back, they sue him ban his clothes, try to do sirty tactics how will that lure him back?? ufc plays dirty and sure seems to try to make your life miserable if you don't play ball... oops!!!!! should i have said that i don't need anymore hate mail towards how to behave in the forums!!!!!!!
Jackelope
2/7/08 1:05:46PM

Posted by RMFG_187

Read what it says above the avatar. I don't think he's trying to rep nazis, I think it's more of a joke. Kind of funny/creative if you ask me
BlazinSaddle
2/7/08 1:21:34PM

Posted by RMFG_187

its only racist cuz you brought up race, besides it being from american history x, its more of a funny thing ya know just curbstompin itself...cant tell that guy on the curb is black anyway
BlazinSaddle
2/7/08 1:24:13PM
honestly who cares about his career anymore, hes gonna fight fedor and probably lose, selfish but whatever
brutalbones
2/7/08 4:11:19PM

Posted by BlazinSaddle

honestly who cares about his career anymore, hes gonna fight fedor and probably lose, selfish but whatever

This comment doesn't make sense. First off, there is a TON of people that love to see Couture fight. Secondly, he has a very good chance of beating Fedor. Lastly, how does that make him selfish?
MALICE
2/7/08 6:21:41PM

Posted by Jackelope

Read what it says above the avatar. I don't think he's trying to rep nazis, I think it's more of a joke. Kind of funny/creative if you ask me

Thanks Jackelope and BlazinSaddle, Props to you for seeing my avatar for what it was. A scene from a movie, where one man was performing a stomp on another man. Simple as that.

I was asked to remove it. So I did. But not without saying this, For everyone who saw this avatar, and automatically saw a white man and a black man, and assumed racism was involved, maybe it is you who needs to rethink your morals.
BlazinSaddle
2/7/08 6:34:06PM

Posted by brutalbones

Posted by BlazinSaddle

This comment doesn't make sense. First off, there is a TON of people that love to see Couture fight. Secondly, he has a very good chance of beating Fedor. Lastly, how does that make him selfish?

he quit he UFC and gave up a belt he didnt deserve to fight sylvia for in the first place now he leaves just to fight fedor thus selfish i like randy dont get me wrong but this decision is selfish plain and simple, if he cant beat nog he probably cant beat fedor and he even says nog is a bad matchup for him

do you honestly think he deserves a shot at fedor? obviously you do and id like to see it too but the way he left is narrow minded to the fans just because "this is his last fight" how many times has he retired? im finding it hard to believe him anymore, you dont just give up the crown at your peak he obviously left because he dosnt wanna fight nog, arlovski, cro cop etc.. and if he loses to fedor well he lost to the best and he can quit and if he wins then what? he was at the pinacle and retires? sounds like he wants to quit at the top instead of proving a number 1 status and ppl are giving fedor a hard time for lesser reasons, sure fedor isnt exactly proving #1 right now but look at the competition theyve faced and there records, i cant imagine the odds that would be against couture maybe 9:1 ...idk maybe not since lots of ppl will pick couture out of blind countrymen mentality and hatred for russia/fedor etc.
telnights
2/7/08 6:50:55PM
I don't see why anyone is blaming the UFC for doing what any company would do if one of its people pulled the same stunt Randy is doing. Their contract is just a standard pro athletic contract and isn't any different then say your avg pro football players contract. Let any pro athlete demand more money mid contract and see how far it gets them.
cmill21
2/7/08 6:52:34PM

Posted by telnights

I don't see why anyone is blaming the UFC for doing what any company would do if one of its people pulled the same stunt Randy is doing. Their contract is just a standard pro athletic contract and isn't any different then say your avg pro football players contract. Let any pro athlete demand more money mid contract and see how far it gets them.

Ussually gets them traded or more money acctually. Watch more pro sports.
Manfred
2/7/08 7:20:36PM

Posted by DCRage

The whole reason Randy's left...well, there really are 2 reasons that stick out: Money and Fedor. Randy apparently felt he wasn't getting paid enough per fight (probably seeking more Liddell money, around $500K per fight) and he wasn't happy about UFC not being able to sign Fedor as that now seems to be the only fight he wants.

The 3rd reason is risk. If Randy lost either of his last two fights, it would kill a lot of the luster of the Fedor / Randy fight. Esp. if he lost to Nog.
mrsmiley
2/7/08 7:23:18PM
I believe Couture also cornered someone at the last Elite XC event,but I can't remember who it was.
EliasG
2/7/08 10:43:24PM
Coture will win his lawsuit. It's hardball tactics by UFC. Since he has competing business interests it is inevitable that he will be involved with other fighters but the vagueness of the language that is used by those who "report" on the contract (none of us have seen the contract so we rely on reports) sounds as if a good lawyer will harpoon it.

They can't even sue him over his fighting contract which tells me they are grasping at straws. Hey anyone can sue anyone else if they have the money to spend. THey'll lose though. I think it gives the UFC a black eye but it does the serve the purpose of letting the less well heeled fighters know--don't play with us we'll try to ruin you.
EliasG
2/7/08 10:50:06PM
Lastly, Cotoure being selfish for wanting to fight Fedor gets a big WTF of the week.

He won the heavyweight title in the UFC. It really doesn't matter whether anyone "thinks" he deserved to fight for it. He won. That's like saying the NY Giants aren't really deserving of being Superbowl champs because they were a wildcard and the Patriots "should have won." He won. He deserves to fight the guy everyone else thinks is the best in the world. Guess what, Fedor wants to fight him too. When you earn it in the realm of sport, you ought to control your own destiny.

Call him selfish if he decides to fight a bum to make some money but refuses to fight a real fighter. Dana just couldn't get it done so there it is. The best fighter in the UFC heavyweight division had to leave the UFC to fight the #1 recognized fighter in the world. It will happen and I'll be watching. I can't wait.

Btw, expect a lot more fighters to leave as well when their contracts come up. You'll see a free agent exodus...not only that but you'll see guys like Mark Cuban work behind the scenes to apply the Mohammed Ali Act to MMA as well. Then it will be all over for the contracts that the UFC currently hands out.
telnights
2/8/08 12:03:33AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by telnights

I don't need to watch anything because I know your wrong. If you do a little research you will see that 99% of the time players never get more money. It would be dumb for any team owner to give in to those demands because then he would have all his players refusing to play if they didn't get more money. Before you start telling me to watch more sports maybe you should take your own advice.

telnights
2/8/08 12:31:02AM

Posted by EliasG

Coture will win his lawsuit. It's hardball tactics by UFC. Since he has competing business interests it is inevitable that he will be involved with other fighters but the vagueness of the language that is used by those who "report" on the contract (none of us have seen the contract so we rely on reports) sounds as if a good lawyer will harpoon it.

They can't even sue him over his fighting contract which tells me they are grasping at straws. Hey anyone can sue anyone else if they have the money to spend. THey'll lose though. I think it gives the UFC a black eye but it does the serve the purpose of letting the less well heeled fighters know--don't play with us we'll try to ruin you.

Randy's contract was made open to the public by Zuffa once this ordeal started. I use to have a direct link to his contract but cant find it at this time. To be honest I think Randy is in trouble.

For good info on this go HERE and HERE. One of their writers over there is John Gross, he is very anti-UFC and even he says Randy is in the wrong.

I will keep looking to see if I can find this link.

The hole point of this is Randy is asking for more money mid contract and from legal standpoint he doesn't have a leg to stand on. Go to a judge and tell him you signed a contract but decided you wanted more money and see how that Judge treats you. This has been talked about so many times on here. Hippysmacker and I have both posted long detailed post explaining everything in other threads so I'm little burned out explaining this all again. I will just say Randy is in the wrong.
telnights
2/8/08 12:43:29AM

Posted by EliasG

Lastly, Cotoure being selfish for wanting to fight Fedor gets a big WTF of the week.

He won the heavyweight title in the UFC. It really doesn't matter whether anyone "thinks" he deserved to fight for it. He won. That's like saying the NY Giants aren't really deserving of being Superbowl champs because they were a wildcard and the Patriots "should have won." He won. He deserves to fight the guy everyone else thinks is the best in the world. Guess what, Fedor wants to fight him too. When you earn it in the realm of sport, you ought to control your own destiny.

Call him selfish if he decides to fight a bum to make some money but refuses to fight a real fighter. Dana just couldn't get it done so there it is. The best fighter in the UFC heavyweight division had to leave the UFC to fight the #1 recognized fighter in the world. It will happen and I'll be watching. I can't wait.

Btw, expect a lot more fighters to leave as well when their contracts come up. You'll see a free agent exodus...not only that but you'll see guys like Mark Cuban work behind the scenes to apply the Mohammed Ali Act to MMA as well. Then it will be all over for the contracts that the UFC currently hands out.

I will just reply to the back end of your post because the front of it is in my first post.

What makes you think fighters are going to start leaving the UFC. The UFC pays its fighters very well compared to other orgs out there. Most of the UFC fighters have made it very clear they are very happy in the UFC. So your claims that a lot of fighters will be leaving has no real solidarity to it.
cmill21
2/8/08 12:55:15AM

Posted by telnights

Posted by cmill21

Posted by telnights

I don't need to watch anything because I know your wrong. If you do a little research you will see that 99% of the time players never get more money. It would be dumb for any team owner to give in to those demands because then he would have all his players refusing to play if they didn't get more money. Before you start telling me to watch more sports maybe you should take your own advice.

Lol Shawn Marion was just traded after asking out, ummm Kobe demanded shaq get traded, Owens got out of San Fran, Briggs got Chicago to agree not to re-franchise him in turn he stayed with them for this season. Those are just a few of them off the top of my head, not all monetary because well not all randy's are.
telnights
2/8/08 3:40:51AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by telnights

Posted by cmill21

Posted by telnights

Lol Shawn Marion was just traded after asking out, ummm Kobe demanded shaq get traded, Owens got out of San Fran, Briggs got Chicago to agree not to re-franchise him in turn he stayed with them for this season. Those are just a few of them off the top of my head, not all monetary because well not all randy's are.

Notice how none of the things you posted had anything to do with more money mid contract. We are talking about telling an owner I want more money or I wont play. Not one of those players got more money mid contract from an owner.
hippysmacker
2/8/08 4:55:17AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by telnights

Posted by cmill21

Posted by telnights

Cmill, I am sure you mistaken on all but Briggs, and he didn't get more money. I think you may hear what the agent claims as a victory, and not know the actual contract details. Briggs had to play for them at the franchise tag last year, and got agreement that they would not franchise him again next year as long as he played 75% of the snaps. Hardly a sure thing, and the new NFl collective bargaining agreement makes franchising players for 2 years in a row ridiculously expensive. Bears GM Jerry Angelo said he would not have paid 120% of players previously franchised year salary anyway.
As for Shawn Marion. he has a clause in his contract that he can opt out after this season ,or take 17 million, so he had some leverage now. Randy has no such leverage in his contract, and can't legally refuse to abide by the terms of his deal. Marion has been asking to be traded for over a year, and Phoenix was cash strapped till recently ,and still wouldn't trade him till they knew they were going to lose him on the opt out clause after this year. They actually traded Kurt Thomas, and 2 # 1 picks for a second round pick just to save money not that long ago. Marion wants to shoot more, and stop being the guy who defends 4 different positions. Those were his own words on the Jim Rome show. He did not get more money, and wasn't traded, until the suns got what they wanted for him,and therefore didn't get his way. . They actually tried to trade him and others for garnett in the off season and didn't . They said they would not trade him for anything that they felt didn't make their odds of getting a championship better. So if you think over a year later, when they finally got what they wanted in a trade he got his way, I guess we will agree to disagree. Owens did not get out of San Franciso becuase he threw a fit. . He had a clause in his contract to make him a unrestricted free agent if he sent in the right paperwork by a certain day. His old agent did not do it, and they tried to then trade him to Baltimore. They went to arbitration and the arbitrator told the NFL he would rule against them if they didn't try to make a deal with TO. He then was traded to Philly and got less money than he would have as a unrestricted free agent.The NFLPA actually advised him not to sign the deal, and then he tried to renegotiate after 1 year. He complained about it, but was a good p0player for one year. Next year, he wanted more money, and was mad at Mcnabb. Not only did he not get his way, he has to pay back 3 million to Philly, and lost almost half a season on suspension. . The contract he later signed with Dallas took most of his ability to make a fuss out of it. It was basically structured as 3 one year deals, and yes they paid well, but Dallas could cut him after every year if he acted up and have no cap hit. He only got 5 million guaranteed in the initial deal , which is laughable compared to what other top receivers are getting. Kobe is on record , ( and so is Jerry Buss and Shaq himself) saying that Kobe never demanded Shaq get traded. Jerry Buss, and it now appears he was right, said he did not want to pay Shaq 30 million a year, or 80 million over 3 years. He said he felt Shaq was getting older, his body was breaking down, and he wanted to get value for him while he still could. Now Shaq did help Miami win a ring, so their investment wasn't a waste but he has broken down a lot since the trade, and is past his prime obviously. No player in the NFL/ NBA/ MLB has gotten traded
, had their old deal ripped up, and gotten more money in over 5 years. Daniel Snyder made that mistake once with Santana Moss , and he learned from it. Right after he extended Moss , Shawn taylor, Clinton portis, and Chris Samuels all made similar threats. He didn't give in to them, and the commissioner made sure of it. If owners let one guy do it, then a whole bunch more will follow. Whether you agree with Randy breaking his contract , or not, there has been no examples for a while. Also,Randy can't be traded to another company. This is serious apples and oranges, and Moss got a contract extension, not a new deal. The 2.9 million Randy made from the UFC in 2007 for fighting twice is more than he made any other year. it's also more than anyone not named Chuck Liddell made in MMA last year, and Chuck fought 1 extra time.