Couture, Hieron official for "EA Sports MMA," exec says "growth of sport" a primary goal

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Couture, Hieron official for "EA Sports MMA," exec says "growth of sport" a primary goal
postman
8/15/09 6:28:12PM
Just two weeks before he'll take center stage for the UFC at the company's first-ever fight card in Portland, Ore., former UFC champion Randy Couture today took the lead role for one of the company's newest sworn enemies.

Couture joined EA Sports president Peter Moore for a press conference in San Jose, Calif., in which "The Natural" was officially announced as an "important part" of the software developer's 2010 MMA-themed video game, tentatively titled "EA Sports MMA."

The MMA Junkie

Fanhouse
Wolfenstein
8/15/09 7:06:07PM
I hope the UFC backs off--because as far as video games go--you're not going to beat EA sports. They're the premier developer of sports games period, and THQ might not even be around by the end of 2010.
mkiv9secsupra
8/15/09 7:16:56PM
Fedor vs Couture will finally become a reality
D0wnUnd6e6r
8/15/09 7:17:45PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I hope the UFC backs off--because as far as video games go--you're not going to beat EA sports. They're the premier developer of sports games period, and THQ might not even be around by the end of 2010.

true, but what happens if they dont back off? the ea sports game's roster is gonna be awful
mkiv9secsupra
8/15/09 7:37:50PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by Wolfenstein

true, but what happens if they dont back off? the ea sports game's roster is gonna be awful

The roster wont be awful by any means imo. It may be a bit smaller than UFC Undisputed's but it will still have many superstars. Babalu, Fedor, Couture, Lil Nog, Milendez etc are enough for me to pay 60$
Wolfenstein
8/15/09 7:45:57PM
I dunno, I could list of a ton of fighters like Shinya Aoki, Hansen, Alvarez, Overeem, Rogers, Yvel, Manhoaf, Nick Diaz, Lawler, Shields, Trigg, Ishida, Lindland, Gomi--I mean I could just go on and on, on top of the already confirmed roster which is a hell of a starting point thus far.

To me it'll come down to gameplay. Without the UFC label, I think the UFC game is pretty mediocre. Just my opinion, I know a lot of people love the game--but I think it's crap.
Ordep
8/15/09 10:58:25PM
EA > THQ, anytime

Would be nice to have Randy and Fedor in the cover a la Madden '10
DJDark41
8/16/09 2:00:56PM
Screw EA. As much as I love their games, this is some low sh*t on their part. If they were really in it for the "growth of the sport," they wouldn't have turned down the UFC a few years ago when they were approached about a video game. From Dana White himself:

"EA Sports told us, 'You're not a real sport. We wouldn't touch this thing. We want nothing to do with this.'"

"You told us you'd never be in business with us. They wouldn't even take a meeting because mixed martial arts disgusted them. This wasn't a real sport. Boy, they got over that real quick, didn't they?"

I'll tell you this much right now, I'm not going anywhere near this game.
mrsmiley
8/16/09 7:25:00PM
I would say EA's MMA game has the potential to be great.
We'll just have to see.
Though I think their roster could have the potential to be amazing.
Just think about having:

Shinya Aoki
Hellboy Hansen
Randy Couture
Eddie Alvarez
Gegard Mousasi
Babalou
Fedor
Sakuraba
Alistair Overeem
Andrea Arloski
Big Timmy (okay maybe not him,but their's a filler character)
Jake Shields
Melvin Manhoef
Robbie Lawler
Scott Smith
Brett Rogers
Alexander Emelianeko
Mark Hunt
Minowa
Bobby Lashley
Antonio Silva
Little Nog
Josh Barnett
Ben Rothwell
Ricco Rodriguez
Renzo Gracie
Frank Shamrock

Maybe we might get a womens division as well?

I'm not saying all those guys will be in the game,but hey,anyone not in the UFC is fair game.

As for what Dana said about EA.
That may be very true,I don't doubt it.
But I also believe that EA may have a few ideas of their own that Dana didn't like.