Couture To HDNet...But When?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Couture To HDNet...But When?
DCRage
2/20/08 6:42:40AM
According to paperwork filed by HDNet owner Mark Cuban in legal proceedings against UFC owner Zuffa, it has been revealed that HDNet has signed Randy Couture to a contract effective upon the expiration of his Zuffa promotional contract. The HDNet plan is, once the contract takes effect, to promote the long-hoped-for Couture-Fedor Emelianenko superfight.

Article
snakeplissken
2/20/08 8:49:53AM
I don't see the point. The only place where the superfight would make decent money is within the UFC. None of the others have the level of exposure that the UFC does.

Internationally it's pretty much UFC or K1 that are best known. Here in the UK we can't get HDnet so we wouldn't be able to see it.

To be quite honest it's hard to get excited about it now as it's been too long. Also, one of the big draws for this fight was the whole UFC Champ vs. the Pride Champ. If this fight happens they won't be able to market this because Zuffa own the rights to both belts.
Tein_Lung
2/20/08 9:39:51AM
they can call it the fight for the number 1 HW in the world....
Pyrenus
2/20/08 9:45:47AM
I agree, I don't care where this fight takes place, I'm ordering. It should be on PPV.
cmill21
2/20/08 10:22:46AM

Posted by snakeplissken

I don't see the point. The only place where the superfight would make decent money is within the UFC. None of the others have the level of exposure that the UFC does.

Internationally it's pretty much UFC or K1 that are best known. Here in the UK we can't get HDnet so we wouldn't be able to see it.

To be quite honest it's hard to get excited about it now as it's been too long. Also, one of the big draws for this fight was the whole UFC Champ vs. the Pride Champ. If this fight happens they won't be able to market this because Zuffa own the rights to both belts.

It would be on a channel for you to watch. This fight will make money.
RMFG_187
2/20/08 10:58:31AM
hmmm HDNet fights, maybe HDNet channel? lol, but not much has changed in the past few months except more lawsuits, and even more lawsuits, and Fedor's letter to DW.
Web_Head
2/20/08 12:47:26PM
Cuban is positioning HDNET Fights to compete with UFC, in order to do that, he must attract and sign top talent to create PPV's that people want to see.

Considering how Dana White and Zuffa treat their fighters, I would place a hefty wager on Cuban being able to sign and then steal a decent amount of fighters who no longer want to fight in the UFC.

UFC is the only game in town for most fighters to make top money... if another game comes to town, treats you better, pays you more and doesn't treat you like shit, chances are, you're going to want to jump ship for the new game.

I predict Cuban will change the face of the MMA market by offering competing events with top notch fights.

Look no further than boxing... WBO WBA etc etc etc...

if there is a market where people can make money, expect more players to play the game... Cuban has the finances to build a strong base out of the gates...

I love UFC, don't get me wrong... but I'm sickened to see how they've treated some of their top talent, and some fight cards are just not worth my money... I think they power of being the big dog in the yard has gone to their heads... and as a result, the product suffers.

I'm new here... this is my first post. Hiya!