POLL: Who is going to rein supreme?
Couture 63% (36)
Gonzaga 37% (21)
chadtruitt1979
8/3/07 5:46:53AM
Who is it going to be?
chadtruitt1979
8/3/07 5:48:51AM
I think it is going to be one hell of a fight but I think Couture is going to come out on top.
Sam_Rothstein
8/3/07 6:29:45AM
randy has a thing about beating people i never thought he would

so i have to pick him for that alone
hippysmacker
8/3/07 6:36:00AM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

randy has a thing about beating people i never thought he would

so i have to pick him for that alone

It always seem she wins when he's the underdog. So I'll take Randy by UD.
Fallen231
8/3/07 9:48:56AM
Gonznaga's going to try to two end the fight early but find that Couture will find a way out and if Couture gets in the fourth round and up he will win SD
nickcuc547
8/3/07 10:04:17AM
if gonzaga gets top position, (which i think he will) i think his jiu jitsu is just too good, i think he is going to ground and pound randy for a couple rounds and finish him off in the third. this is a bad matchup for randy.
juanez13
8/3/07 10:25:20AM
it seems that gonzaga is a lil bit better at eveything randy does,
GG has the better striking, he is not better than randy at wresteling but h is alot heavier at that plays a big part, and he is very good a subs......but its just so hard to pick against randy, what i think it will happen is that GG is gonna try to finish randy early and he is gonna get tired, and thats when randy outworks him to win the fight by UD, GG will win the first two rounds but randy is gonna win the rest of the rounds.....
wolfman
8/3/07 10:37:00AM

Posted by hippysmacker

She wins??? Did you have a few too many beers last night hippysmacker? j/k Anyways I'm picking Gonzaga to win. I didn't doubt him against Tim, yet I think he is going to lose by a KO in the 2nd or 3rd round. Gonzaga will use his size and weight advantage(which Tim should have done and failed to do because he is a slow oaf) and he will ground and pound his way for the 'W'. However, I will not be surprised if Randy pulls off a victory by UD.
hippysmacker
8/3/07 10:54:39AM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by hippysmacker

She wins??? Did you have a few too many beers last night hippysmacker? j/k Anyways I'm picking Gonzaga to win. I didn't doubt him against Tim, yet I think he is going to lose by a KO in the 2nd or 3rd round. Gonzaga will use his size and weight advantage(which Tim should have done and failed to do because he is a slow oaf) and he will ground and pound his way for the 'W'. However, I will not be surprised if Randy pulls off a victory by UD.

I don't drink, but I fel like kickinng myself in the head for inadvertently insulting Captain America I hope wherever he is, he is unaware of my mistake
wolfman
8/3/07 12:57:46PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I don't drink, but I fel like kickinng myself in the head for inadvertently insulting Captain America I hope wherever he is, he is unaware of my mistake

I know, he is the man. I hope he doesn't see that I'm picking Gonzaga to win.
kofranklin
8/3/07 2:05:48PM
Gonzaga will win this fight.
ocho-cinco
8/3/07 3:05:04PM
It's such a tough fight to call, but GG seems like he is such a beast. He has the ability to win wherever the fight goes. It will come down to if he has a smart gameplan, because you no Randy will. I'm taking Gonzaga in this one....I'm still unsure how it will end but I think Gonzaga is going to win. I hope I don't regret this one.
mikevolz
8/3/07 3:18:08PM
i see it as being couture josh barnett 2. i mean, josh barnett was granted on steroids at the time of the fight, but he was weighing in at about 240, and a much chubbier 240 than gonzagas 240. i think gonzaga will manage to ground and pound him for the victory. on top of that randy has been working on his movie, and has a ufc all access being filmed of him. so i just think gonzaga training full time, and preparing himself has too much of an advantage.
bayonetxwork
8/3/07 4:14:09PM
Couture. Too powerful in the top position. He'll have to forget that GG is great on the ground, and just go back to his bread and butter. Takedown from the clinch, then gnp wherever he lands.
mkiv9secsupra
8/3/07 4:20:40PM

Posted by juanez13
GG has the better striking,

except GG's striking is not good....watch him fight mirko again....it was the SAME COMBO over and OVER and OVER....he was trying to throw punches from a mile away and actually thinking they would land. he is powerful but good he is not.
nickcuc547
8/3/07 5:24:25PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by juanez13

except GG's striking is not good....watch him fight mirko again....it was the SAME COMBO over and OVER and OVER....he was trying to throw punches from a mile away and actually thinking they would land. he is powerful but good he is not.

his striking may not be as polished as randy's but he has very heavy hands, as boring as his fight with kevin jordan is he knocked him out with one punch, and his elbows from gnp really hurt cc.
backalley101
8/4/07 2:46:12AM
Captain America all the way
Pitbull09
8/4/07 8:59:04PM
I play it safe with my picks and I have to go with Coture, he's the champ and if you compare his fight against Silva to GG's fight with Mirko, it shows. GG got a good kick while Randy got about 100 good shots in his fight. Unless theres another mistake, GG is goingg to lose.
zephead
8/4/07 9:28:59PM

Posted by Pitbull09

I play it safe with my picks and I have to go with Coture, he's the champ and if you compare his fight against Silva to GG's fight with Mirko, it shows. GG got a good kick while Randy got about 100 good shots in his fight. Unless theres another mistake, GG is goingg to lose.

But trying to compare Sylvia to Cro Cop just ain't getting it. Sylvia isn't on the same planet with Cro Cop when it comes to striking
Kastro
8/5/07 6:09:04PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by juanez13

his striking may not be as polished as randy's but he has very heavy hands, as boring as his fight with kevin jordan is he knocked him out with one punch, and his elbows from gnp really hurt cc.

No, he did not knock him out with one punch. He landed 1 superman punch which knocked Jordan back a couple feet onto his ass (litterally) and then hopped on top of him and punched him a few more times so the ref would stop the fight...

He definitely didn't knock him out with 1 punch, a ko is when your unconscious, and although that punch badly dazed Jordan to the point where he was knocked down he still wasnt UNCONSCIOUS..
DangerMouse666
8/5/07 6:33:39PM
I'm gonna have to go w/ Randy on this one. Don't know it will go to decision or not.
Biggieb
8/5/07 7:07:52PM
Couture is gonna spank Gonzaga just like he did Tito, lol.
cannon_slice
8/6/07 1:01:21AM
i picked randy but gonzoga has good ground skillz
DCRage
8/6/07 8:17:07AM
Couture wins. One, you do not bet against Rnady Couture no matter what. Two, his conditioning is still top-notch as we saw against Sylvia, and Gonzaga's never gone this far in a fight so the later it goes, the better for Couture. Gonzaga really would have to get lucky and land an early KO blow like he did against Cro Cop, but I really don't see that happening. Couture by unanimous decision, 50-45, maybe 49-46.
LR
8/6/07 9:37:45AM
I will bet against Randy Couture when he fights Fedor. So, I can bet against Randy, but I won't in this fight.
JewJitsu
8/7/07 9:44:48AM
Gonzaga via TKO.

"Gabriel Gonzaga is a killer. That guy is going to come in and destroy whoever is in his path. Whether its Randy, whoever, name the heavyweight. Whoever is in front of Gabriel Gonzaga he is going to come in and he is going to attack them."

I love that quote.

I think Gonzaga is just going to be too much for Randy. Nothing against Randy at all, he is one of the best of all time, I just think its Gonzaga's time now.

I picked him to beat CC so I can't go against him now.
fullerene
8/7/07 10:02:33AM
Gonzaga offers many of the same problems that Josh Barnett and Ricco Rodriguez did. You remember those big, sub-savvy grapplers who made Randy decide that 205 was the right weight for him? I'm not saying Randy won't have his moments, but it takes a lot of energy to defend position and sub attempts against a guy who's bigger and stronger than you, regardless of your own skill level....and that's if you're in your 20s, much less your 40s.

Randy rarely finishes, especially against HWs. Over 5 rounds, Gonzaga is going to get top position at some point and every time he does he's a real threat to finish. One of those times it happens IMO.
griffinisback
8/19/07 7:58:54PM
Gonzaga has a puncher's chance and thats it. His only submission in the UFC was an armbar against Carmelo Marrero, whose not that talented and is easily the smallest heavyweight I've seen, He could make 205 no problem. I think his BJJ is being hyped up a little much. He has power obviously but his striking isn't that great. I've never seen him throw a combination. Randy will overwhelm him with dirty boxing and finish on the ground, 4 rd TKO.
Stickan
8/19/07 8:30:18PM

Posted by fullerene

Gonzaga offers many of the same problems that Josh Barnett and Ricco Rodriguez did. You remember those big, sub-savvy grapplers who made Randy decide that 205 was the right weight for him? I'm not saying Randy won't have his moments, but it takes a lot of energy to defend position and sub attempts against a guy who's bigger and stronger than you, regardless of your own skill level....and that's if you're in your 20s, much less your 40s.

Randy rarely finishes, especially against HWs. Over 5 rounds, Gonzaga is going to get top position at some point and every time he does he's a real threat to finish. One of those times it happens IMO.

..and again post of the day material. That's exactly how I break down this fight. 3 rounds..Randy might have wrestled his way to a decision but I still doubt it. 5 rounds... not very likely at all IMO. Gonzaga wins in the 3rd or 4th and I'm thinking TKO.

I gotta spread the love a little before I give you props again. Unfortunate because this one is really deserving IMO.
nubby
8/19/07 10:43:19PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by juanez13

Gotta agree here. I hate saying Fluke but that is how I feel about that fight.
Pages: [1] 2