'Couture Vs Fedor' When Affliction Folds

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » 'Couture Vs Fedor' When Affliction Folds
MMAcca
9/3/08 3:35:46PM
Randy Couture will remain in the UFC whether he wins or loses his title fight with Brock Lesnar in November.

Dana White told media during a conference call that the heavyweight champion would not be walking away after one fight, regardless of its outcome.

Couture has signed a new three-fight deal while has delivered a severe blow to his hopes of eventually fighting Fedor Emelianenko.

Couture has "made it very clear he wants Fedor," said White. "We will do all in our power to make that fight, but we are not going to mess with other people's contracts."

"Fedor is under contract to another promotion," he explained, referring to the Russian heavyweight's agreement with Affliction that is rumoured to contain a North America no-compete clause.

"If we can work something out, great. If not, we will get him when Affliction folds," he said.

LINK
juanez13
9/3/08 3:54:59PM
I hope they dont fold. I'd like to see Randy vs Fedor as much as everyone else would, but not at the expense of an MMA organization going under.
cmill21
9/3/08 4:01:50PM
Lol they could have gotten Fedor before, it's not afflictions fault they coulden't sign Fedor.
sparky
9/3/08 5:31:02PM
This fight is never going to happen. By the time its a possibilty Randy will be retired again!
MaxOne
9/3/08 5:57:03PM
I really hope some of these other organizations can weather the storm and end being successful.
xAcidburNx
9/3/08 7:41:38PM
affliction was such a good card last time around and it doesnt look to bad for the october one either. i wanna see fedor randy as much as the next guy but we need another big organization out there so we can see all our favorite fighters, not just the ones ufc likes. affliction gos down then where will we see barnett or lindland. when pride and ufc were around we had a healthy rivalry goin on. remember to buy the affliction ppv everyone or it will go under with the rest of the new orgs
gartface
9/3/08 7:54:43PM

Posted by cmill21

Lol they could have gotten Fedor before, it's not afflictions fault they coulden't sign Fedor.

I never read the full explanation of why he didn't sign in the first place, but didn't a lot of it have to do with Fedor's management, and Fedor wanting to compete in sambo competitions?
cmill21
9/3/08 8:01:15PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by cmill21

I never read the full explanation of why he didn't sign in the first place, but didn't a lot of it have to do with Fedor's management, and Fedor wanting to compete in sambo competitions?

Yep, Fedor wants to do sambo, he will not sign anywhere that won't let him do that. His management also wanted some of his other fighters signed, co promotions and a bunch of other things that the UFC will not allow. I don't know why anyones even talking about this fight happening in the UFC lol. Fedor's managment got what they were asking for and Fedor will have an offer from Dream or whatever new mma org FEG has once the big man gets out of jail.
The-Don
9/3/08 10:16:38PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by gartface

Posted by cmill21

Yep, Fedor wants to do sambo, he will not sign anywhere that won't let him do that. His management also wanted some of his other fighters signed, co promotions and a bunch of other things that the UFC will not allow. I don't know why anyones even talking about this fight happening in the UFC lol. Fedor's managment got what they were asking for and Fedor will have an offer from Dream or whatever new mma org FEG has once the big man gets out of jail.

Who is in jail?
cmill21
9/3/08 11:21:12PM
Kazuyoshi Ishii, founder of K-1. There is talk that once he's out(heard he might already be) he could decide to burn Dream down and make his own version. From what i've heard he want's it to be everything Pride was and more, he wants a monopoly like he has for K-1.
The-Don
9/7/08 4:33:02PM

Posted by cmill21

Kazuyoshi Ishii, founder of K-1. There is talk that once he's out(heard he might already be) he could decide to burn Dream down and make his own version. From what i've heard he want's it to be everything Pride was and more, he wants a monopoly like he has for K-1.

thanks for the info I did not hear that...

as for Fedor and Randy... happening when affliction folds... I don't see it happening... Affliction has hte backing of Donald Trump... You know he has studied what the UFC did and how much they had to spend to get to where they are... He also see how much they are making... He knows it will take some money to make money.. if Affliction keeps putting on these good cards they will quickly close the gap.. Trump has deep enough pockets to take losses for a couple of years to build the brand... and make it profitable... I just do not see Affliction folding as long as Trump is willing to spend money
bigbubbano23
9/8/08 10:30:19PM
affliction fold:rofl even though they are spending more money than they are making they are the next mma powerhouse.
xAcidburNx
9/9/08 5:11:13PM
i sure as hell hope so