Couture HW champ 07/08???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Couture HW champ 07/08???
keith-hackney1
5/21/07 12:25:28PM
Sorry if this question is posted here alittle bit premature, but no matter what at some point it will have to be discussed.
I want to know everybodys thoughts on couture vs gonzaga from a point of wether or not you believe that after their fight, will randy still be the hw champ.
I believe couture, if he provails, wont have to defend his belt again to maybe early next year at the earliest as i believe dana will put him on the protected list of ufc fighters. The hw division will become a slug fest of all the other up and comers seen as gonzaga and crocop are probebly ranked 2nd,3rd.4th, and 5th between the two right now, if that makes sense.
If Gonzaga is the real deal, i got no idea what randy would have to do to beat this guy, especially at 43, though 43 is just a number, i know that, but it must be a slight disadvantage against young tallent like GG.
I really want couture to pull it off because i want him to stay in this sport alittle longer and retire champ when the time is right.
I hope he's working on the fire power to stop this up and coming hw prodigy in GG that ko'd the worlds most devistating mma striker in CC.

Any thoughts ?????

cheers
Fanboy 1988
5/21/07 12:47:19PM
Randy's gonna be less shacky then Cro Cop was, But I still don't see him taking GG
I think at this point in Randy's life it's almost impossible for him to be 100% heathy for a fight, he's 43 and I'm sure that has a big toll on him... I think Randy's gonna put a up a good fight when he takes on Gonzaga, I think the fight will go into the later rounds, but I don't see him pulling out a win against a guy that just KO'd Cro Cop and 10 to 15 years younger then him

I know that sounds alittle harsh

But if he does ( and I truely hope he wins) I don't see him fighting again till next year
hughesfan1
5/21/07 1:21:11PM
I think Randy will win vs. GG , I don't think GG is really that good against someone like Randy. Yes, he had CC beat on the ground and when the ref stood them up !BANG! one head kick and goodnight CC, but noone ever expected that head kick especially not CC. Watch the replay (if you have it recorded) and you'll see very clearly that when CC saw the kick coming he blocked for a body shot and GG's foot went right over the top of his hand. If you ask me that's just a case of a smart unexpected move and alot of good luck. Randy will be looking for the kicks and IMO Randy's ground game is much better than GG. I also would like to see Randy retire sometime next year as the hw champ after a couple of good wins.
Ultimate_fighter
5/21/07 2:04:49PM
I think Gonzaga is gonna win in the later rounds, possibly a submission. But if Randy comes out like he did his last fight, leg kick, big hook, he's out, but sylvia doesn't have a good chin. So i don't know what the hell is gonna happen but i am on GG's side.
Northrend
5/21/07 2:51:39PM

Posted by hughesfan1

I think Randy will win vs. GG , I don't think GG is really that good against someone like Randy. Yes, he had CC beat on the ground and when the ref stood them up !BANG! one head kick and goodnight CC, but noone ever expected that head kick especially not CC. Watch the replay (if you have it recorded) and you'll see very clearly that when CC saw the kick coming he blocked for a body shot and GG's foot went right over the top of his hand. If you ask me that's just a case of a smart unexpected move and alot of good luck. Randy will be looking for the kicks and IMO Randy's ground game is much better than GG. I also would like to see Randy retire sometime next year as the hw champ after a couple of good wins.

CC also said the elbows mess up his vision. For the question though I think GG will take it. To me it will look similar to Randy vs Ricco were Randy dominates rounds 1-3 but then round 4-5 GG will take control and sub him.
mkiv9secsupra
5/21/07 3:13:59PM
i think whoever has the better wrestling will win this one. Randy isnt going to get subbed and neither will GG. Randy will probly GnP most of the fight. If the fight stays on the feet randy should take this as well. I still dont think GG's striking is really good. Yeah he KO'ed CC but CC was off his game and GG was having a good night. GG didnt seem to have great strikes against CC, just the fact that he was pushing the pace a lot. In any way i think Randy will beat out a unanimous decision. Or Late round stoppage from either a cut/GnP.
keith-hackney1
5/21/07 4:49:11PM
Do you guys believe that it could be a case of who gets who on their back first ??
The thing is GG is awesome on his back, prob little better than couture, you would think, but couture just thought jacare to a draw and he is considered as the best submission fighter there is around today. So how can you call it, as a fan, its very hard as they are much more equally matched as apposed to someone like CC or Sylvia.
I see couture with a simular game plan that he had against ricco. Stick and move, using alot of clinch and sweeps to take the big guy down. If couture can tie up GG and sweep him down to the canva's, from there working for position then G&P or even a choke, then he's got a huge chance, he shouldnt want to trade with him after he saw what GG can do on the feet.
I see GG coming out throwing his jab and body kicks, then taking couture to the mat if a chance arises. Again tight guard with shots to the head, As couture is 43, GG must be thinking attack the head/chin as that is where couture would be most vunerable for a quick tko/ko.

Does anybody know if GG is a cardio freak or has his cardio been an issue in any of his fights so far ???

If Couture pulls it off, i want him to retire straight after the fight and be remembered as the greatest ufc fighter of all time.
xchickox
5/21/07 4:53:44PM
i love how no-one really rated GG before the cro cop fight and know everyone thinks he's gonna win the fight against randy, and also not many people give randy a chance against big tim and they are doing it again

i think randy is gonna take this by ground and pound in the 4th
Mastodon2
5/21/07 5:02:44PM
I think people are blowing up GG right now. I still dont think he is tougher than CC, I think 9 times out of 10 CC would win that fight but some you lose eh?

I think Randy will make another big win about this, and then go out of defenses until 08. The no1 contender war will begin, and CC will rise to the top once again and brutally KO Randy.

Basically, what I saw CC doing as always, except he has been set back a year by his loss.
Damien6663
5/21/07 6:48:01PM
I think gonzaga will prove to be to big for randy (sound familiar LOL! said same thing last fight). I see randy struggling to get him down and not really being able to impose his will with gnp cause of gonzaga's strength. Asventually GG gets on top, and thats all she wrote.

Stickan
5/21/07 7:20:46PM
I think Gonzaga will retire Randy... unfortunately..
Northrend
5/21/07 8:54:54PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

i think whoever has the better wrestling will win this one. Randy isnt going to get subbed and neither will GG. Randy will probly GnP most of the fight. If the fight stays on the feet randy should take this as well. I still dont think GG's striking is really good. Yeah he KO'ed CC but CC was off his game and GG was having a good night. GG didnt seem to have great strikes against CC, just the fact that he was pushing the pace a lot. In any way i think Randy will beat out a unanimous decision. Or Late round stoppage from either a cut/GnP.

And why can't GG sub Randy exactlly? His submission skills are way better then Randy's and if Randy gets overzealous on the ground he can get caught.
mkiv9secsupra
5/21/07 9:06:51PM

Posted by Northrend

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

And why can't GG sub Randy exactlly? His submission skills are way better then Randy's and if Randy gets overzealous on the ground he can get caught.

any fighter can be subbed if they get over zealous for something. same can be said for getting koed.(ala arlovski)...Couture is just too seasoned a fighter to be subbed. and GG being well versed in BJJ will be too familiar with sub defense to be subbed.

by the way i didnt say he CANT be subbed im just saying he WONT.....
Junior24
5/21/07 10:11:52PM
First of all, can we please stop discussing GG's last fight. Im still not over it and Im actually seeking counseling about it.

Ok, w/that said, GG has the physical attributes to compete w/Randy, however I believe GG has more "tools" than Randy. Now he applies them is a different story.

You put GG in the same scenerio as Randy was in when he dropped Tim, GG finishes that fight 1st Rd.

Regardless who wins, they will be figting before 2008 and Im calling it right now, they will be fighting Fedor.

Believe-in-judo81
5/22/07 6:02:51PM

Posted by hughesfan1

I really hate to sound like a jerk here because Randy is a great fighter and he deserves to go out on top, but anybody, including Randy himself who thinks he has the advantage on the ground is dead wrong. Gabriel Gonzaga is probabally the single most talented HW grappler in the world right now, and he has dozens of local, state, national, and world awards and titles to prove it. His base is incredible, he almost imposiible to move once he's in a mounted position, he has tremendous G&P,great, sub defense, and always comes with a great gameplan.
He will find and exploit any chink in Randy's armour he finds, ESPECIALLY on the ground. Also, you have to remember, most of Randy's telling losses at HW came to bigger, younger,stronger, and more agressive and dominant HWs.

That said, GG's standup, though set up well with good footwork, is typically slow as a slug. If Rand y can keep pressure on and bully fight and keep it standing he has a decent chance to win, but on the ground, we're talking 15% at best, Gonzaga is just that good guys.

And on a endnote, yuou have to admit you were psyched for him, after he came in like that and just ruled Mirko Filipovic. When you come in shape, focused, with a great gameplan, and a desire to win against someone who isn't taking you seriously that's not luck. That was ALL planning and skill, and those who are downplaying this talented young man just need to wake up, period.

/rant
nubby
5/22/07 6:40:46PM

Posted by Believe-in-judo81

Posted by hughesfan1

I really hate to sound like a jerk here because Randy is a great fighter and he deserves to go out on top, but anybody, including Randy himself who thinks he has the advantage on the ground is dead wrong. Gabriel Gonzaga is probabally the single most talented HW grappler in the world right now, and he has dozens of local, state, national, and world awards and titles to prove it. His base is incredible, he almost imposiible to move once he's in a mounted position, he has tremendous G&P,great, sub defense, and always comes with a great gameplan.
He will find and exploit any chink in Randy's armour he finds, ESPECIALLY on the ground. Also, you have to remember, most of Randy's telling losses at HW came to bigger, younger,stronger, and more agressive and dominant HWs.

That said, GG's standup, though set up well with good footwork, is typically slow as a slug. If Rand y can keep pressure on and bully fight and keep it standing he has a decent chance to win, but on the ground, we're talking 15% at best, Gonzaga is just that good guys.

And on a endnote, yuou have to admit you were psyched for him, after he came in like that and just ruled Mirko Filipovic. When you come in shape, focused, with a great gameplan, and a desire to win against someone who isn't taking you seriously that's not luck. That was ALL planning and skill, and those who are downplaying this talented young man just need to wake up, period.

/rant

I've learned not to underestimate Randy's ability. After watching his fiht with Tito a few days ago, I am of the opinion that he has frickin amazing skills on the ground. Now GG is young and powerful but winning grappling competitions is different from winning a fight with Randy.

Randy is my favorite heavyweight and my second favorite fighter over all. I will give randy the win with another exciting unanimous deicision. This one is going the distance boys and girls.
Northrend
5/22/07 6:45:38PM

Posted by Believe-in-judo81

Posted by hughesfan1

/rant

Couldn't agree more, Barnett and Ricco both better on ground/heavier/younger. Like I said before I could see this fight going like the Ricco fight.