Couture Camp: Toney Fight Is Not Catchweight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Couture Camp: Toney Fight Is Not Catchweight
DCRage
7/6/10 6:27:40AM
Randy Couture and James Toney seem to be on different scales when it comes to their fight. Literally. This past Saturday Toney said his fight with Couture at UFC 118 is a catchweight fight, believed to be 215. But Couture's representatives said that they've heard no such thing, and the UFC Hall of Famer is expecting to fight at heavyweight. Sam Spira, Couture's lawyer, stressed that the bout is signed as a heavyweight fight. "The Toney camp couldn't agree to a catchweight, and there's been no discussion about it thereafter," Spira said. "I suggest James Toney stop playing with dolls and focus on the fight." Spira, of course, is referring to Toney's recent antics at UFC 116, where he showed up to a media luncheon with a Couture figurine adorned in a Barbie-like dress. UFC officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

Article
BlueSkiesBurn
7/6/10 6:54:32AM
Toney had better win this fight because if he doesn't his pre-fight actions/antics are going to see him bounced out of the UFC faster than Bartman at a Cubs game.
postman
7/6/10 7:28:25AM
Fights not going to happen. Toney is going to pull out I can feel it I hope I'm wrong but there has just been tto much BS back and forth this fight feels like a no go to me.
DCRage
7/6/10 7:31:40AM
I've never believed it'll happen for too many reasons to list. It's just not good for the sport.
tallica62
7/6/10 9:35:47AM
BS...Toney is gonna pull out now... of all of Dana's decisions...this has got to be one of the worst.... and to give him Couture instead of some other newb... looks like SF rubbed off on Dana a little bit
icantthinkofanything
7/6/10 11:56:30AM
I was hoping for a 205 fight, so the winner could move up a level in comp. Fighting at Heavyweight makes little sense for Couture, if he plans to stay at 205. Catchweights and swithing weight classes do crazy things to your ranking. It could either drop you low like Rich Franklin, or skyrocket your ranking like Vitor. Couture prolly thinks at HW Toney will be slower, but he wont be dehydrated and or lose any power or muscle. Randy better be careful, Toney has got less to lose than Couture does imo, and seems very confident.

Did any contract get signed by Toney yet? Last I heard the answer was no, and I think he could backout at the last moment.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
BustedKnuckle
7/6/10 5:18:49PM

Posted by postman

Fights not going to happen. Toney is going to pull out I can feel it I hope I'm wrong but there has just been tto much BS back and forth this fight feels like a no go to me.

Yeah I have a feeling this was all a charde to get his boxing career a shot in the proverbial arse!
Gogoplatapus
7/6/10 5:21:33PM
Who cares? If it's not @ 205 it's a heavyweight fight. Plain and simple. What was Kimbo/Houston? 225? Unnecessary.