Couple of Questions about tatoo's.

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Couple of Questions about tatoo's.
KeNn
2/7/08 10:30:32PM
I want to get my last name on the side of my neck in some like handwriting or graphiti,

about 3 inches tall and 10 wide.
6 letter word.

I was wondering how painful this would be for a first tatoo, and a cost.

I just want it done in black ink. thanks
Djbb
2/8/08 12:18:30AM

Posted by KeNn

I want to get my last name on the side of my neck in some like handwriting or graphiti,

about 3 inches tall and 10 wide.
6 letter word.

I was wondering how painful this would be for a first tatoo, and a cost.

I just want it done in black ink. thanks

yo dawg that shit sounds gangsta, like if you run up and just rob a grocery store whos gonna know its you right? like that name on your neck could be your mom or your cousin or your girlfriend (or boyfriend?). I wanted to get a cheap tattoo too, but when I told my artist I wanted to get "Thug Life" across my stomach in black ink and olde english letters he charged me an extra $80 cause I was the 20th person to ask him for that design that week and he was tired of doin them. fo shizzle.
candynuts
2/8/08 12:47:02AM
Just spray grafiti in the alley by dairy queen, youll probably meet Keith Jardine there.
Mayhem13
2/8/08 1:14:48AM
not too sure about neck as far as pain goes..I have them pretty everywhere else though...

cost?.. I'd say it shouldnt run you more then 100 bucks. 60-100 range
postman
2/8/08 2:06:47AM
I would think twice before I got one on my neck hell one day you may want to get a JOB that requires no visable ink. I think unless you are a pro fighter or a motocross guy or someone that already makes millions you should keep your ink under your clothing. I have 3 tats so I have nothing aginst them but on your neck?
Mastodon2
2/8/08 6:00:44AM
Don't get it on your neck, you will pay for it later when you can't get a good job because of it.

I don't think it will hurt too much, none of the people that I know that have tattoos think they hurt, I wouldnt know yet to be honest, but Im getting 2 big side pieces in a couple months time so I'll find out. I'm probably gonna get the sole of my foot tattooed aswell - that will hurt but I just want to know how much it will hurt!
jomatty
2/8/08 7:04:21AM
as for pain, i think tattoos hurt...i always thought that i had a very high tolerance for pain, and in most instances i do, but when it comes to the grating sort of irritating pain of getting a tattoo i hate it. i hear people say that it doesnt bother them or even that they like the way it feels and i think that is f-in nuts...these same people have shown that they can't deal with pain as well as me in many other ways, and when i get tattooed i hate it and find it very painful. the neck is a fairly painful place to get tattooed from what ive heard. anywhere that doesnt have some padding (like your ribcage, spine, hands) will hurt more than places like your shoulder/bicep etc.

as for cost, save the money to get a well respected artist to do it. i know what your thinking because i was very anxious to get some tattoos and skimped on getting the best artist i could afford. i rationalized it by the fact that i was getting simple designs that i thought anyone could do well. it isnt true. some of the simplest designs are the ones that it is important to get someone good to do. the line work will make the tattoo and imperfections will be more visible than in a "busier" piece. i will never again get tattooed by anyone who is not really really good.

on the same note as paying for someone good to do it is, like other posters have mentioned, think very hard about if you want to get a tattoo, especially your first tattoo on your neck. neck/face/hand tattoos are a serious commitment because they will always be visible, and you never know where life may take you. someday you are gonna want to marry someone and you are gonna have to meet their parents, some day you may have to drop your kids off at school. it is easy to say "this is who i am and screw them if they dont like it", but it is a lot harder to take that line if it is going to hurt someone else you love (embarrass you girl or your kids). the things that i think would make me a cool dad sometimes embarrass my son because it is different than the other parents. youve got to live your own life but sometimes it pays to make some concessions. think especially hard on this if you are younger. i know it is easy to think you know where you will be in ten years but a lot can change.

personally i like the way neck tattoos look, and they are definitely gangster/cholo but i would never get one. Think long and hard about if this is something you really want and if you do decide that it is right for you find a really good artist and save the money up to get it done right.

gl and post a picture if you decide to get it done. if i were you i would get something done on my upper arm or shoulder blade. your neck will always be there later...
jomatty
2/8/08 7:10:51AM
mastadon,

when you say side pieces do you mean you are getting two big pieces on your ribcage? if so that is a gutsy move to do for your first tattoo. plan on a few sittings if they are big and get ready for some serious pain.

your tough guy friends may have told you that getting your ribs tattoed doesnt hurt but it hurts like hell. not trying to dissuade you just giving you my opinion. it depends some on who does it as well (the last girl who tattooed me was a butcher and killed me lol).

anyhow let us know how it goes but the ribs are a painful spot for a large tattoo, no matter what anyone says.

also, for what its worth, i would not get the sole of my foot tattooed. a lot of places wont even do it. if you do get it done, get something bold and simple. the fact is the color and ink will bleed out really fast and you will be left with only a portion that is faded of what you wanted.

if i was a muay thai guy like you i would go to thailand and get tattooed in a monastery the old fashioned style by a monk or whatever they call themselves. i dont like tribals and that sort of thing but the designs done traditionally in thailand or by samoans are cool imo...

let us know when you get it done and put up some pics. what are you getting on your side?
disturbed_fighter
2/8/08 8:28:33AM
none really hurt at all in my opinion
Mastodon2
2/8/08 10:37:29AM

Posted by jomatty

mastadon,

when you say side pieces do you mean you are getting two big pieces on your ribcage? if so that is a gutsy move to do for your first tattoo. plan on a few sittings if they are big and get ready for some serious pain.

your tough guy friends may have told you that getting your ribs tattoed doesnt hurt but it hurts like hell. not trying to dissuade you just giving you my opinion. it depends some on who does it as well (the last girl who tattooed me was a butcher and killed me lol).

anyhow let us know how it goes but the ribs are a painful spot for a large tattoo, no matter what anyone says.

also, for what its worth, i would not get the sole of my foot tattooed. a lot of places wont even do it. if you do get it done, get something bold and simple. the fact is the color and ink will bleed out really fast and you will be left with only a portion that is faded of what you wanted.

if i was a muay thai guy like you i would go to thailand and get tattooed in a monastery the old fashioned style by a monk or whatever they call themselves. i dont like tribals and that sort of thing but the designs done traditionally in thailand or by samoans are cool imo...

let us know when you get it done and put up some pics. what are you getting on your side?

Hey man, yes my first tattoo is going to be 2 big pieces on my ribs, Im getting "Passion" on my right side and "Warfare" on my left, need to consult artists about the script font though. I'm aware some people really don't like tattooing, and I had always kept the idea of it at the back of my mind, but my girlfriend got a big side piece for her first tattoo, took about 4 hours, and she got it done in one sitting. She was advised to get it in several since it was her first, but she was adamant she'd be ok and she got in done in one sitting. The artist was the one calling the breaks since he was getting tired since she didn't want to stop.

I know its a gutsy move, but I don't want to be covered in loads of patchy little tattoos in the process of stepping up to the big ones, I know it might hurt, but on the other hand I might be one of the people who can just handle it, I may even enjoy it. Thanks for the concern though! I'll probably be getting it done before the height of summer, and yes, there will be pics!

As for the bottom of my foot, I don't know what I want to get done there, something simple. I know that its gonna hurt like a bitch and it will fade etc, but I just want to see if I could bear the pain! I'll probably just get a smiley face or something, if I can even find anyone to do it in the first place!

I'm pretty lucky to have a lady who is clued in on the whole tattooing and piercing thing, although piercing is most defintely not for me, I don't want holes in my body which might get ripped in training. My girlfriend is a mod on that BME website or whatever its called, so she talked tattooing a lot!
bezun
2/8/08 12:22:38PM
So this tat is just so you can look cool. When people find out that the only tat you have is on your damned neck, you will be laughed at because it is painfully obvious that you are trying to act hard and are in fact a poseur.
Daddyprimetime
2/8/08 1:30:23PM
Stay away from the neck. Most tattoo artist will tell you not to get one on your neck unless you have ink all over you. Some places charge by the letter so you can look to pay $15-$25 per letter. Most places don't care if you get color or black & grey, they'll charge the same for either. As for pain, pinch yourself in different location, you'll be able to tell what hurts and what doesn't.
Rush
2/8/08 2:34:28PM
I am not interested in getting tattoos myself, but I know a number of guys (really well) that have multiple tattoos.

As far as they are concerned with pain, it really depends on the person. There are times they said that it didn't really hurt at all and then the artist move to the side a bit and BANG!!! severe pain.

Just keep in mind... I've heard that inking is addictive.
pv3Hpv3p
2/8/08 2:56:13PM
IMHO, if you're going to get a tat on your neck it should really be of an AK-47...

i did know a guy that had the word "psycho" tatooed on his neck... But well, ya know... he was a little psychotic... He actually got deported a few years back, see where tatoos above the collar will getchya??? j/k
cowcatcher
2/8/08 3:10:37PM
i went into this dive bar a few months back and my ex's friends were there with their mom who is a big time skank. shes about 50-55 and her boyfriend was this 35ish year old scummy looking guy and the first thing he says to me is "did you see the guy that did this", then he proceeded to raise his head and show me a tat that made it look like his throat had been slit and blood was dripping out. all i could think was, "what an idiot, i hope he enjoys flipping burgers for however long he is cursed to walk this earth." long story short, neck tatoos=bad idea unless you are independantly wealthy or just dont give a sh*t about how people see you, or anything in general. BTW im tatted, just not in places i cant hide if need be.
lance70301
2/8/08 3:42:58PM
I have a couple of tatts. They somewhat hurt...it alldepends where you get them . As you asked you neck, not sure about the pain there. The price for stinceled letters that big, I would have to say a couple 100-200 dollars.
fedorwins1
2/8/08 3:56:05PM
I have one tat on my arm, got it done when I was 16 and it didn't hurt at all. It all depends on where you get it though, like I've heard the neck really hurts; but I think you shouldn't get your neck tattooed.

On a side note, the next tattoo I get (this summer) is going to be under my upper arm like where Shogun has his. I think that looks awesome, not sure what I want though. I'm also planning on getting my left side too, not sure what though.
chubbud22
2/8/08 4:06:46PM

Posted by bezun

So this tat is just so you can look cool. When people find out that the only tat you have is on your damned neck, you will be laughed at because it is painfully obvious that you are trying to act hard and are in fact a poseur.

You are a real class act. You probably got beat up a lot in highschool and use a computer to call people names and bash them, where its nice and safe so you wont get beat up.
Kpro
2/8/08 11:19:01PM
30 square inches of tat, comprising 6 letters with solid coloring, you're looking 2-300 minimum; unless you have a connection.

I don't think the people who've quoted you lower prices understand how big a 3 inch by 1.7 inch solid ink letter X6 really is.

Btw, that's some big lettering for a neck tat. I don't know you but for 99.99% of people I' d recommend being less bold with a neck tat.

I have a full arm sleeve and the only spot that got to me pain wise was the inside of the arm just above the elbow. It ended up bruising up for days. Otherwise, your adrenaline will kick in in less than a minute from the start of the tat and ease the pain. Just be sure to be on decent rest and have eaten in the last few hours otherwise you may get lightheaded.
postman
2/9/08 12:03:59AM
I think KAT Von D charges $1000 hr that sounds like a good deal!
jomatty
2/9/08 3:57:54PM
man she charges that much!!! she does nice portraits though, although i like the stuff the girl kim at her shop does better. i wouldnt go to them though as the tv show makes them so expensive when their are others who are bad ass and not pumped up due to overexposure.

i know i sound like a pussy saying that it hurts but that has been my experience. normally im really good with pain but with the grating pain of tattoos, well i sit really bad lol. piercings are no problem for me, i used to have nipple, tongue, lip, septum and uh yeah that too and was fine with the pain (i dont have any piercings anymore) this was ten years ago. some people seem to think they hurt really bad, i suppose pain tolerance is pretty dependant on so many factors.

and whoever says getting tattooed is addictive is right. i only have three tattoos but ive been spending a lot of time thinking about what is next lol.... although ill be spending a lot of money and getting a large piece next so im gonna be sure...
CJsuperstar
2/9/08 4:18:52PM
Oh boy it's gonna hurt like **** on the neck.

As for the cost, it should depend on the font/ skill level of the tattoo artist. The super duper ones will cost you a bomb even for that size.
NewGuy
2/22/08 4:05:08PM
I agree with KPRO; that is a big tat for a neck piece, especially if it is your first tat. I have many tats and the small one on the back of my neck was the quickest tat to get, and hurt worse then anywhere on my body except behind the knees. When asked I always give this advice, your first tattoo should be in a place that you can easily hide with clothing. That way you can see if you even like having a tattoo, and if you don’t you can hide it easier. If you like having that tattoo then you should go get the one on your neck. You will also know what to expect when that needle starts in.

btw you should expect to pay at least $200 for that neck tat. If you’re not, you’re getting sub par work done on you. I’ve seen many bad tattoos and had a few; I had to pay to fix them later at a better shop. Trust me find a good shop the first time. Cheaper is not better.

Props to my tattoo guy Minneapolis Mark
blkssncpt
2/24/08 1:18:43AM
OK, all tattoos hurt no matter where their at they will hurt to some degree. i have my right leg done from my knee to the top of my foot, considering that some parts of ur body will hurt A LOT more than others lik the top o my foot hurt more them my calf. also for example getting something on ur bicep will be unconfortable compared to getting ur ribcage done that will F*CKING hurt lik hell, i have a cousin who has a lot of work, both legs, arms qtr. sleeved, solid chest plate and his chest plate was done in prison so he knows pain and the only time i saw him him cringe(sp) was when he got two smaller pieces on either side of his neck, so if ur gonna go thro with it its gonna hurt..... A LOT!

plus lik everyone else says dont get ur first tattoo on ur neck and specially that big, really it's not recommendable plus a good artist will tell to think of another area to put ur first tat.

eitherway think it thro more before u act and GOOD LUCK.

-Rob
iwannabesedated
2/24/08 5:01:04PM
Best Tattoo i ever seen was along time ago i was at this lake in West Virginia fishing and there was some local hilljacks there..and This guy had a tattoo on his arm that read.....and this is word for word what it said "Bud is a beutiful thing"
And no i didnt typo Beautiful....Whoever tatted him spelled it wrong and had no A in it...Needless to say it was in the green jail ink..