Which country do you think will win the medal count in the Summer Olympics?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Which country do you think will win the medal count in the Summer Olympics?
KungFuMaster
8/2/12 3:15:48PM
China is ahead right now but they don't have power houses in the team sports. I think we, the United States, will pull ahead once the team sports conclude. Furthermore, track and field is yet to come and we are sure to earn a few more for those events.
gartface
8/2/12 3:36:08PM
USA!
BlueSkiesBurn
8/2/12 3:39:52PM
The Olympics always work like this. The U.S. stays close throughout the early portion of the games and then we pull away at the end when our superior teams begin to take over.

Also, China isn't ahead. This was just now.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
prophecy033
8/2/12 3:44:57PM
Either USA or China. When you think either has an advantage the other comes back
KungFuMaster
8/2/12 3:48:24PM
That's good. The last time I checked was over 30 minutes ago. It is almost certain we will get gold for men's and women's basketball and that's like 20 medals or so.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/2/12 3:49:59PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

That's good. The last time I checked was over 30 minutes ago. It is almost certain we will get gold for men's and women's basketball and that's like 20 medals or so.

That counts as 1

It's not that we get more medal *because* it's a team, it's that we get more medals because our teams are *better*
hashyandy4
8/2/12 3:54:36PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by KungFuMaster

That counts as 1

It's not that we get more medal *because* it's a team, it's that we get more medals because our teams are *better*

Lol yeah man that only counts as 1. Would be nice 2 count for 20 tho
Lungsofsteel
8/2/12 4:35:06PM
i hope it comes down to one event lol that'd be awesome
Theoutlaw08
8/2/12 4:36:12PM
USA for sure. They are down a few at the moment but I see them taking over in the final days. USA USA USA USA!!!!
backalley101
8/2/12 6:02:52PM
USA
FlashyG
8/2/12 6:10:44PM
They used to rank the countries based on the # of gold medals, now it seems to go by total medals.

I prefer the old way (it seems wrong to rank a country with 60 bronze medals ahead of a country with 58 golds and 1 silver)

Regardless though, I think the US will lead in both categories by the end of the games.
BigBadAl
8/2/12 6:43:06PM
It helps to have a large country with a large population and lots of money that's for sure.
Bubbles
8/2/12 8:37:06PM
Canada, the only country in the top 15 without a gold

Pookie
8/2/12 11:30:50PM
Gold =3
Silver=2
Bronze=1

Thats how i add up the points.
prophecy033
8/2/12 11:41:47PM

Posted by Bubbles

Don't sell yourself short here Bubs.....Top 11
crushedbacon
8/2/12 11:56:26PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Bubbles

Don't sell yourself short here Bubs.....Top 11

Ya gotta consider the population of Canada is around 34 million. There's about 37 million people in California. I always want the Americans to win the medal race though... If Canada gets gets 15+ medals, that's solid.
Chael_Sonnen
8/3/12 12:19:43AM
CANADA - - - oh wait, they need silly cold weather to participate
Bubbles
8/3/12 6:36:33PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

we brave the elements and dont need childish activities to account for half our medal count (aka swimming)
Chael_Sonnen
8/4/12 12:50:29AM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

we brave the elements and dont need childish activities to account for half our medal count (aka swimming)

Childish activities? What 'bout Curling

prophecy033
8/4/12 12:53:40AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Childish activities? What 'bout Curling

Curling is pretty weak in all honesty but it has its place.
aussiemma
8/4/12 2:19:32AM
America FUCK YEAH !

they will beat the chinese.
Bubbles
8/4/12 12:03:02PM
CANADA WON ITS FIRST GOLD!!

MMAcca
8/4/12 5:30:14PM
Go Jess, Mo & Greg

3rd in the table !
KungFuMaster
8/5/12 10:54:58PM
I'm surprised China is still toe to toe with the United States so far.
infestructure
8/5/12 10:59:56PM

Posted by FlashyG

They used to rank the countries based on the # of gold medals, now it seems to go by total medals.

I prefer the old way (it seems wrong to rank a country with 60 bronze medals ahead of a country with 58 golds and 1 silver)

Regardless though, I think the US will lead in both categories by the end of the games.

Someone has maybe said this, but I think they have a system which takes medal type into account when they tally them.

I think the most interesting is what countries are punching above their weight when it comes to medals. New Zealand does well, we are like 14th on the table with only 4 million pop.

Heres a bbc site that shows you who punches above their weight the most

China 1st 19% of olympic team are medallists
USA 2nd 17% of olympic team are medallists
Romania 3rd 14% of olympic team are medallists
New Zealand 4th 10% of olympic team are medallists
KungFuMaster
8/7/12 7:31:13PM
Current medal count

If the United States does not come through in water polo and volleyball, this could be a very close race.