No Countdown Show For UFC 93 (Link to watch it online in this thread)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » No Countdown Show For UFC 93 (Link to watch it online in this thread)
MMAcca
1/10/09 1:45:48AM
Dave Meltzer explains it in the Wrestling Obsever update:

There is no Countdown of UFC 93 show. Next week’s UFC on Spike will include two hours of Unleashed on Tuesday night, one hour on Wednesday night, plus the debut of UFC Primetime, a 30 minute three-week series on Georges St. Pierre vs. B.J. Penn at 10 p.m. on Wednesday. The only show leading to UFC 93 will be a new All Access show with Rich Franklin that airs at 1 a.m. on Thursday, hardly a time slot many with stumble onto the show and buy the PPV. I sense the recognition after drawing big numbers in November and December, and another big number expected on 1/31, that they aren’t even trying to push 1/17 hard knowing the money is 1/31.

LINK
Wolfenstein
1/10/09 2:00:39AM
The card is already debatable as a PPV event. I think they need to do all they can to make this show a success, so I'm surprised they're not going to make a Countdown video. It just seems like the UFC isn't putting any effort into making this an exciting card, or promoting it.
Twenty20Dollars
1/10/09 2:10:50AM
But they are doing UFC All Access with Rich Franklin again, honestly I'd rather see the countdown show and someone new for UFC all access.
grappler0000
1/10/09 2:43:04AM
I would guess it's because they're doing the series with Penn and GSP.
BDON911
1/10/09 3:00:43AM
Does it really matter that much
loller90278
1/10/09 3:34:17AM
its on the ufc website, in the media section. i just checked it out

as for ufc 93 as a whole, im actually more excited for this card than 94. sure 94 is bj-gsp but nothing interesting after that

here we have the return of shogun
the return of denis kang

and my own personal dark horse favorite, eric schaefer.
ThePlague
1/10/09 6:04:31AM

Posted by loller90278

its on the ufc website, in the media section. i just checked it out

as for ufc 93 as a whole, im actually more excited for this card than 94. sure 94 is bj-gsp but nothing interesting after that

here we have the return of shogun
the return of denis kang

and my own personal dark horse favorite, eric schaefer.

Same here. I think all the main card bouts have the potential to be really exciting, plus the main event is a fight I've been dreaming about for a long time. It's not as bombastic as the last couple, so probably more appealing to the hard core fans.
MMAcca
1/10/09 7:28:11AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

The card is already debatable as a PPV event. I think they need to do all they can to make this show a success, so I'm surprised they're not going to make a Countdown video. It just seems like the UFC isn't putting any effort into making this an exciting card, or promoting it.

I agree. I wonder if Dana even bothers to do a daily video blog next week in the lead up to 93
prozacnation1978
1/10/09 10:13:00AM
i look forward to the countdown if the ufc didn't wanna waste money they should have had this free on spike tv
wapttn
1/10/09 10:55:33AM
The ufc will never do anything out of lazyness or neglect... its always out of strategy. With that said, I do believe that there is some strategy behind underplaying this card. The countdown show is targetted to the casual fan, the person who doesnt know who's fighting on the next card correct? I know we all usually watch the countdown at some point... but we dont really learn anything we already didnt know. Everyone who's already familiar with the card is going to buy it whether or not they watch the countdown show.

I dont know how people are saying that this card should be free or lacks good fights... we a dream matchup between hendo and franklin, rua is back against a hall of famer, kang is signed and fighting a doode with some sick muay thai, lytle and davis should be a war, and not to mention horn and kampmann on the card. This card is for the hardcores... the people who have been following the sport for years.... and you know we're all gonna buy it.

With that said, this is where the strategy comes into play... 3 cards in almost thirty days? kinda wears on the wallet in this "economy" doesnt it? They dont wanna tamper with the marketability of penn/gsp. As big as 91 and 92 were, 94 i believe has the most potential. I think 93 is just out there to put on good set of fights and leave the casual fans in the dark until they get smacked upside the head with ufc 94. Either dana white thinks that the ufc will make more money by putting more weight on 94, or just thinks that 2009 is a prime time to break that ppv record... and aside from ufc 100.. this might be the best opportunity
Gweedo
1/10/09 12:41:57PM
I think the only fight I'm not thrilled about is John Hathaway vs Tom Egan, but I know the new guys need a shot too.
bojangalz
1/10/09 2:06:23PM
The only reason this card is on PPV is so the UFC can sandwich the affliction card with two UFC PPV and hope to snipe a few $$$ that could potentially have gone to a competitor. It was the strongest play they had next to running a live card on the same day. They'll be happy with whatever PPV money they get out of this, it could do 175,000 buys and it would be a success in their book.

When the storm blows over, the UFC is going to want to be in the position to say "Look at us, we ran a GSP/Penn card to 1.4 million buys and those t-shirt guys only got a 100k buys." We'll probably never hear how the Hendo/Franklin card does. It's just there as a diversion to potential Affliction purchases.

That being said- I'm really looking forward to the UK card. I think some of the match-up have potential for fireworks. ANd I think we'll get some answers we've been looking for in this card as well- i.e. "Is Shogun back"
TimW001
1/10/09 2:24:50PM
This makes sense to me.
Jim_Dangle
1/10/09 2:35:01PM
I don't watch any UFC crap except for the actual fights.
Mayo
1/10/09 6:52:57PM

Posted by wapttn

The ufc will never do anything out of lazyness or neglect... its always out of strategy.

Well it didn't let me give you props on this great post so all I can do is give you a
I see your marketing degree coming through nice in this post. PS - I'm finishing up an MBA in Marketing myself
MMAcca
1/10/09 11:17:43PM
LINK to watch Countdown show online