Should Cote Get A Rematch When He's Healed?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Should Cote Get A Rematch When He's Healed?
POLL: Give Cote An Immediate Title Shot/Rematch When Healed?
Yes, He Deserves It 55% (35)
No, Work His Way Back Up 27% (17)
Beat Yushin Okami First 19% (12)
DCRage
10/26/08 9:40:27AM
Pretty obvious question, I say yes although between Silva's only having 5 fights left and Okami probably still being in line for a shot when he gets healthy, I have a feeling it either won't happen or Cote may have to wait until Silva retires-and if he does as Champion-thus vacating the title.
Rabi
10/26/08 9:45:50AM
I think he should get a rematch. He lasted to rd 3 which no one else has done and he was still in the fight.

I dont think they will give him the rematch though, that was his one opportunity.
postman
10/26/08 9:55:48AM
If Anderson is only going to fight 5 more times I want to see him fight
1. Cote
2. Dan Henderson
3. Thiago Silva
4. Wandy
5. Forrest.

Not set in stone but I would like to see him move up and fight the top guys.
Pitbull09
10/26/08 9:57:40AM

Posted by Rabi

I think he should get a rematch. He lasted to rd 3 which no one else has done and he was still in the fight.

I dont think they will give him the rematch though, that was his one opportunity.

We have to remember that Cote wasnt even the first intentional contender. He got the shot because Okami hurt his hand. Thinking about that and how after two rounds that I prob only saw one time he had a chance to win, I would say no. He needs to earn it again.

Think of Silva's scheadule
-Light heavyweight fight next
-Okami (most likely next title fight)
-GSP (If GSP beats Penn)

That is nine months there if he is fighting every three months and also is 3 of the 5 fights left on his contract. I seriously doubt if he is retiring after his contract that Dana White wants to have him face Cote, there are just better match ups
Pitbull09
10/26/08 10:00:23AM

Posted by postman

If Anderson is only going to fight 5 more times I want to see him fight
1. Cote
2. Dan Henderson
3. Thiago Silva
4. Wandy
5. Forrest.

Not set in stone but I would like to see him move up and fight the top guys.

1. Henderson
2. Okami
3. Any top LHW contender
4. GSP
5. Henderson again (as he may lose his second fight to him.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/26/08 10:11:19AM
Cote can fight Okami while Silva fights St. Pierre

i'd personally like to see Cote fight Okami or Marquardt
nickcuc547
10/26/08 10:14:44AM
While i think he should get a rematch because of the circumstances I'm still not impressed with Cote. He didn't do a thing to Anderson, Silva just danced and show boated the entire fight and landed 2 or 3 good flurries. Now I'll give him credit because a lot of guys would have been knocked out by that knee in the first, but Cote did nothing to give Silva a fight, Anderson dictated the entire pace of the fight and landed the only significant shots. All around a disappointing fight.
MMAcca
10/26/08 10:43:59AM

Posted by nickcuc547

While i think he should get a rematch because of the circumstances I'm still not impressed with Cote. He didn't do a thing to Anderson, Silva just danced and show boated the entire fight and landed 2 or 3 good flurries. Now I'll give him credit because a lot of guys would have been knocked out by that knee in the first, but Cote did nothing to give Silva a fight, Anderson dictated the entire pace of the fight and landed the only significant shots. All around a disappointing fight.

It wasn't showboating. Silva just didn't want a repeat performance of Serra/GSP or Rashad/Chuck. He was being cautious, not wanting to make the same mistakes that all of the other top fighters seem to be doing. He was showing why he is still the champion and the pound for pound world's best.

Silva was looking for openings the entire fight, he didn't drop his hands once whilst within striking distance of Cote and he landed some great shots. Cote proved he was worthy last night when he took some of those shots and barely flinched. The only disapointing thing about the fight for me was the ending.
stock
10/26/08 10:49:28AM
I say "no" just because I want to see him fight some other guys first. It might be a different story if the rounds were close split, but Silva was having absolutely no problems with Cote through 2.5 rounds. Cote seemed like he was just surviving, and never had Silva in any trouble whatsoever.

It's too bad for Cote, but I think you have to give some other guys a chance. With fighters only fighting a few times a year, I hate to see fights wasted on rematches (at least so soon). Personally, I didn't think Cote was next in line for the title shot in the first place.
Solidus
10/26/08 11:17:29AM
Regardless of how Cote got the match with Silva, he was there and he was a game opponent until the injury. I personally dont care to see it, but Cote definitely deserves a rematch. At any rate, its going to be awhile before he's ready to fight again, knee injuries are nasty. Silva doesnt take long breaks between fights either, so he's got plenty of time to knock out whoever at LHW and fight Okami before Cote bounces back.
GrizzlyChadams
10/26/08 11:19:21AM
After last night, i really believe Cote could stand a chance at winning if their was a rematch. He made it to the third round with Silva without barely a mark on him. He took some big shots in that fight that would have normally finished any other fighter, and as Cote was saying, it only takes one if his punches to connect to end the fight. I'd be picking him on a rematch.
gsquat
10/26/08 11:21:06AM
I absolutely think a rematch is deserved. I know I want to see more of what I saw those first few rounds. Its an unfortunate accident and in most circumstances Dana gives a rematch. I said that Cote would be the first to take Silva to a decision in the UFC and if theres a rematch I think that may still be true.
copcopps
10/26/08 11:50:58AM
No, Cote was contender because of a fluke no offense to Cote's skills but he kinda lucked out with an Okami injury
Ordep
10/26/08 11:51:22AM

imo NO...

1) Did the UFC wait for Okami to heal? No, so why do it for Cote? he had his chance and lost it.

2) Reply with flame on me about this one but I knew something weird was gonna happen. When the fight started first thing I said to my friends "Since when Cote thinks he's a highly technical striker doing all that footwork and jumping around?" the he started imitating Silva changing the stance and so... he said he would come out swinging early and he didn't (don't blame him for that since gameplans should remain secret) but instead he came out pretending to be something he's not and paid for it.
nippletits
10/26/08 12:01:30PM
I think "Dancing with UFC stars" should be seen again. but I will tell you who wont be paying for it this time. THIS GUY. I personally thought that was a boring deal to watch. They both just jumped around in there waiting for the other guy to throw something. shit, I could do that.

I want to see Silva fight a polar bear.

now that would make up for the steaming pile of monkey dung we paid for last night.

oh yeah shirks fight last night, AWESOME.
its nice to see him stand and throw again. I thought for sure it was going to be a these guys just wrestle each other for 3 rounds.
Solidus
10/26/08 12:05:32PM

Posted by Ordep

imo NO...

1) Did the UFC wait for Okami to heal? No, so why do it for Cote? he had his chance and lost it.

You're talking like they're going to put the whole division on hold to wait for Cote to heal. Silva will have other fights while he heals. That's what they're doing with Okami, of course they didnt wait for him but Okami will still get his fight for the title when he's healthy.
jmoooooo
10/26/08 12:08:36PM

Posted by Ordep

imo NO...

2) Reply with flame on me about this one but I knew something weird was gonna happen. When the fight started first thing I said to my friends "Since when Cote thinks he's a highly technical striker doing all that footwork and jumping around?" the he started imitating Silva changing the stance and so... he said he would come out swinging early and he didn't (don't blame him for that since gameplans should remain secret) but instead he came out pretending to be something he's not and paid for it.

Paid for it with a fluke injury? Does that mean he lost via karma? act of god?. His changing footwork and dancing around im sure was a way to at least partially mock anderson for not engaging and dancing around entirely out of range for most of the fight..... "dont dance, fight" essentially.

Cote is a striker, now if he came out and tried to wrestle Anderson then i would say he is trying to be something he isnt....

And as far as how deserving Cote is of a title shot, there are far less deserving who get title shots all the time (Lesnar coming up very shortly..........)
Ordep
10/26/08 12:10:07PM

Posted by Solidus

Posted by Ordep

imo NO...

You're talking like they're going to put the whole division on hold to wait for Cote to heal. Silva will have other fights while he heals. That's what they're doing with Okami, of course they didnt wait for him but Okami will still get his fight for the title when he's healthy.

Okami is fighting Lister now, that's what I meant, no direct rematch for Cote.
PeteD
10/26/08 12:17:41PM
I was really impressed with Cote this fight. He took some shots that would make most fighters see the back of their eyelids. Anderson had the potential to completely destroy Cote, and the only reason I had Anderson winning on my scorecard is because, when he did engage, he landed much bigger shots.

Bottom line, Cote should get a rematch. Whether its down the road, he deserves it. He lasted longer than Franklin and Henderson, that's saying something.

One of Silva's remaining fights on his contract should be a fight against Cote.

Here are the fights I'd like to see (not in any particular order):
1) Cote
2) Lyoto Machida
3) Hendo/Marquardt rematch
4) Chuck Liddell
5) Wanderlei or Forrest

Hendo vs. Silva @ 205? Your thoughts?
Franklinfan47
10/26/08 12:21:53PM
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to say no as well. Cote certainly deserves it, but lets be honest, Silva was just toying with Cote in that fight, almost seemed like he was bored. Their second fight would go no different. If Silva only has so many fights left on his contract before he retires, I'd like to see him fight some stiffer competition, even if he has to go up to 205 to get it. I feel the point about Yushin Okami getting shafted was a good one too.
Solidus
10/26/08 12:31:07PM

Posted by Ordep

Posted by Solidus

Posted by Ordep

imo NO...

Okami is fighting Lister now, that's what I meant, no direct rematch for Cote.

Oh wow, I didnt see that. Sucks for Okami, he should at least get the win in that one.
Budgellism
10/26/08 12:33:35PM
I say no for sure... Cote was losing the fight and did nothing to Silva... Silva was barely doing anything and he was still having his way with him.

Silva needs to fight these guys in this order

1. Chuck
2. Okami
3. GSP
4. A top LHW at the moment
5. The LHW champ

I just don't see Cote anywhere in the MW title picture ever again... I don't even believe he deserved the title shot in the first place... a split decision win over Ricardo isn't enough IMO

I say have him fight Marquadt or Okami or something while Silva is busy with the LHWs
postman
10/26/08 1:40:08PM

Posted by PeteD

I was really impressed with Cote this fight. He took some shots that would make most fighters see the back of their eyelids. Anderson had the potential to completely destroy Cote, and the only reason I had Anderson winning on my scorecard is because, when he did engage, he landed much bigger shots.

Bottom line, Cote should get a rematch. Whether its down the road, he deserves it. He lasted longer than Franklin and Henderson, that's saying something.

1) Cote
2) Lyoto Machida
4) Chuck Liddell
5) Wanderlei or Forrest

He wont fight Lyoto they are training partners.
jae_1833
10/26/08 1:44:41PM
I say do it so that we can get the "controversy" over with and get on with his retirement so that the MW div can open back up and get as hectic as the LHW div! I see A. Silva needing to fight:
1. Top Tier LHW (Chuck, Wandy, Ect...)
2. Okami (The true #1 Contender IMO)
3. Hendo (if he beats Franklin) / Marquardt if Hendo losses and Nate wins
4. Cote rematch (To end the controversy)
5. Either GSP (who would have to gain wieght), LHW Champ (whoever it is), or a classic hero like Couture (to end A. Siilva's career in style!)
FrankTheTank1181
10/26/08 4:58:29PM
Cote did go to the 3rd round but he had nothing to offer to Silva, no need for a rematch..
mentalcase
10/26/08 5:03:59PM

Posted by Budgellism

I say no for sure... Cote was losing the fight and did nothing to Silva... Silva was barely doing anything and he was still having his way with him.

Silva needs to fight these guys in this order

1. Chuck
2. Okami
3. GSP
4. A top LHW at the moment
5. The LHW champ

I just don't see Cote anywhere in the MW title picture ever again... I don't even believe he deserved the title shot in the first place... a split decision win over Ricardo isn't enough IMO

I say have him fight Marquadt or Okami or something while Silva is busy with the LHWs

i like
PeteD
10/26/08 6:52:40PM
Ah, forgot about that. Just like he won't fight Filho cuz they're friends.
PeteD
10/26/08 6:54:05PM

Posted by postman

Posted by PeteD

1) Cote
2) Lyoto Machida
4) Chuck Liddell
5) Wanderlei or Forrest

He wont fight Lyoto they are training partners. [/QUOTE

Forgot about that, just like he won't fight Filho because they're friends
bls1919
10/26/08 8:05:56PM
i say he does deserve a title shot again when he is healed. that said i thin k, Okami will get a shot before Cote has recovered. it looked like his injury was there when the fight started and then went very wrong with a totla blow out in the 3rd. Cote may very well have torn all three ligaments in his knee. I hope not but it lookked bad. I know i have suffered a blown ACL and MCL at the same time. very painful
therav3neffect
10/26/08 10:23:34PM
Silvas probably gonna be finished when cotes injury heals