Cote getting too much credit

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Cote getting too much credit
nickcuc547
10/26/08 1:43:21PM
now some of you may disagree with me and that's fine, but I wasn't impressed with cote at all last night. The guy didn't land one significant shot and lost the first two rounds. it looked like he wanted to just say he took him to the third, kind of like the second chuck vs. tito fight. I was extremely disappointed in both fighters, and no cote did not prove to me at all that he belongs in the top 10 nevertheless title contention because nothing he did to silva hurt him, sure he frustrated him with the switching stances but he got nothing going the entire fight.
SpiderSilva
10/26/08 1:47:41PM
I think he wanted to win but it is hard to hit Silva with a clean punch seemed to me like he was trying to stay positive
thelastking
10/26/08 1:52:49PM
Yeah i see where your coming from but how can you not be impressed by him, everyone was saying that Silva was going to destroy Cote quickly and easily. Sure Cote never won a round but he was not getting completely dominated either. Cote was fighting a very smart fight. He made it to the third round against him which alot of other great fighters couldn't do. He did alot more than just switch stances to frustrate Silva as well he fought a pretty smart fight not giving Anderson that many openings to end the fight. Anderson is a very smart and has amazing accuracy, Cote wasnt giving him the angles he wanted and thats why the fight was a little slow for some parts IMO oh yeah and i am Canadian so i might be a little biased. I was impressed by Cote and he might not be top 10 at the moment but he is a very good fighter.
bullettdodger
10/26/08 1:56:35PM
I think that the fight was still just getting started, Silva was looking to counter and being pretty non-threatening the entire first round, Cote was forced to be the aggressor and threw shots that really weren't going to land in the hopes of making Silva and not get comfortable. I think the longer we got into the fight, the more comfortable Patrick would have become, I felt like fireworks were on the horizon and who knows who would have been found at the losing end. When bombs start flying from both sides ya can only wait till the dust has cleared to start counting yer dead. I think Cote has earned a rematch, because in all honestly i want to see how this fight really ends...not with a knee injury.
jae_1833
10/26/08 2:06:45PM
I have Cote on the low end of the top 10 for what he did before this fight......this fight won't change his rating to me at all. I think he did what he could, and that the lameness of the fight is purely Anderson's fault! F it.......that's my opinion and I am sticking to it.
SociopathX
10/26/08 2:15:34PM

Posted by jae_1833

I have Cote on the low end of the top 10 for what he did before this fight......this fight won't change his rating to me at all. I think he did what he could, and that the lameness of the fight is purely Anderson's fault! F it.......that's my opinion and I am sticking to it.

i agree
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/26/08 2:16:53PM

Posted by SociopathX

Posted by jae_1833

i agree

me too

cant believ Cote fans are bragging about him making it to round 3

Anderson threw more in 1st rd of every ufc fight than he did in the 1st 2 rounds of Cote fight....but whatever

people will be delusional...
Twenty20Dollars
10/26/08 2:43:57PM
I dont think either guy deserves credit, there wasnt a lot going on. So lets just put it to rest.
voodoo-jitsu
10/26/08 2:54:00PM

Posted by bullettdodger

I think that the fight was still just getting started, Silva was looking to counter and being pretty non-threatening the entire first round, Cote was forced to be the aggressor and threw shots that really weren't going to land in the hopes of making Silva and not get comfortable. I think the longer we got into the fight, the more comfortable Patrick would have become, I felt like fireworks were on the horizon and who knows who would have been found at the losing end. When bombs start flying from both sides ya can only wait till the dust has cleared to start counting yer dead. I think Cote has earned a rematch, because in all honestly i want to see how this fight really ends...not with a knee injury.

and for me it looked like A.S was getting alittle fustrated ..... too bad it ended the way it did
Branwest
10/26/08 3:23:02PM
I give Cote some credit. He did take him to the third round. His constant lateral movement and just constant head movement and side-to-side motions was very smart. Nobody has fought Silva like that so far in the UFC. Now, don't get me wrong, without the knee injury, I believe Silva would've won. He was landing some serious shots, especially a couple of those kicks. I did think that Silva was being too compacent and should've been more active. He always feels his opponent out for the first minute, but after that minute, he still wasn't very active. I guess he didn't want to get too 'wild' and get caught. But his strikes aren't ever 'wild.' He's very technical and accurate with his punches, elbows, knees, and kicks. I thought he could've done more. Those judges could've gave one of those rounds to Cote easily, though many of you may disagree. I give Cote credit, but I don't think it would've mattered if his knee wasn't injured, I think he would've eventually gotten Ko'd or TKO'd.
postman
10/26/08 5:08:31PM
I agree to a point but I say since there was an injury and he ate a pretty big knee he should still be in the hunt. I would say give him ashot when he is better and actully did on another post but Silva is saying he only has 5 more fights i want them to be awesome.
Jackelope
10/26/08 6:05:03PM
I'm still trying to find out what he did in the first place to deserve a title shot. Oh wait, MW is just that weak.

Cote impressed me with his footwork. He didn't completely look like a fish out of water in there and some credit is deserved for that. People don't understand the chess match going on with the feet against a lanky striker with lethal kicks and for that reason alone he deserves a lot of respect.