Corry Hill With MFS?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Corry Hill With MFS?
MattHughesFan
6/19/07 12:00:34AM
I was just watching Bad blood on spike and when it got to the part about Jens' training they were going through some of his work out routines and i could have sworn i saw Corry Hill training with him in the Gym. i was just wondering if anyone else saw this or was i mistaken. If Corry really is training with MFS he just my become a force to be reckoned with in the light weight division.
szucconi
6/19/07 12:07:53AM
Yes he is with MFS. This came out in March or April, but if you wern't paying close attention, I can see how missed it. I sure don't want to fight him.
Believe-in-judo81
6/19/07 12:11:01AM
Like them or not MFS is a great camp, I'll be watching Corey closely to see how he grows as a fighter. Should be interesting.
Naturaldisaster
6/19/07 12:43:58AM
If corey can learn the ground game then the LW division is in trouble.
EEKS
6/19/07 1:12:19AM
Hes great reach is going to be a huge factor in his fights, should make for a great competitive lightweight division
fatdevil1982
6/19/07 7:12:04AM
deffinately has good potential. he is not fighting on the finaly because they all want him to get some good training in before they have him fight. i think he should go to the wec first though, work his way up a little
Stickan
6/19/07 8:02:27AM

Posted by fatdevil1982

deffinately has good potential. he is not fighting on the finaly because they all want him to get some good training in before they have him fight. i think he should go to the wec first though, work his way up a little

Nope it's because he's injured.
fatdevil1982
6/19/07 8:42:12AM
what did he injur?

anyway, i deffinately think he the waiting thing is good for him. a few months is just not enough time
Signal2112
6/19/07 9:28:39AM
If he works at it he could be a competitve fighter, I guess. He has a great advantage with his height and reach, but he'll really have to watch those long gangly arms and legs on the ground, even after training with MFS...they would be very susceptible to submissions!
Rush
6/19/07 10:23:22AM

Posted by Signal2112

If he works at it he could be a competitve fighter, I guess. He has a great advantage with his height and reach, but he'll really have to watch those long gangly arms and legs on the ground, even after training with MFS...they would be very susceptible to submissions!

Not only that, compact fighters tend to be tougher to wrestle. I think a compact wrestler like Sherk (with a good shoot) would be a tough match up for someone like Corey (regardless of his level of training)
pv3Hpv3p
6/19/07 10:54:02AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Signal2112

Not only that, compact fighters tend to be tougher to wrestle. I think a compact wrestler like Sherk (with a good shoot) would be a tough match up for someone like Corey (regardless of his level of training)

I agree... It really doesn't matter how tall you are, when you're flat on your back
AchillesHeel
6/19/07 11:09:10AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I agree... It really doesn't matter how tall you are, when you're flat on your back

Yes and no. Obviously, anyone will (probably) lose to a superior fighter, regardless of height, but long limbs can be an advantage in jiu-jitsu, just as they can be a vulnerability. Look at Sylvia-v-Monson. Monson was pretty much unable to use any GnP and Sylvia almost got a submission or two.

Hill will be 6"-8" taller than some of his opponents, which is ridiculous. Alistair Overeem and Shinya Aoki get all those submissions in part because of their height and build, and they're not even as tall as Hill is, relative to their competition. If Hill gets comfortable at BJJ, then his height could be a huge edge.
hippysmacker
6/19/07 11:23:27AM
Also, since Hill was a 2 time state champion wrestler, I'm sure the grappling aspect will come easier to him than some others. Give him BJJ and Muay Thai and he's scary IMO.
szucconi
6/19/07 11:34:22AM
He will be taller, but will most likely give up some strength to shorter high level competition. You could argue that he has an advantage or a disadvantage on the ground, but I think his clear advantage is standing. Not only a reach advantage, but its much harder to punch up at a fighter that is that much taller then you. It makes your reach even smaller and makes you have to get even closer. You will be in his range well before he is in yours. Thai boxing would give him a huge advantage and make the guys that have to fight this guy look stupid even if they manage to win.
Ultimate_fighter
6/19/07 3:54:50PM
Thats good, he was going to jens or horns camp..
DJDark41
6/19/07 3:57:07PM
Nice to see MFS picking up some young guys and trying to mold some future superstars. Watch out for him at 155. In about 8 months to a year of solid training with MFS he's gonna be a beast.
KYGUY07
6/19/07 4:54:49PM
Now that Coreys with mfs the lw divison is gonna be in trouble with corey hill.
pv3Hpv3p
6/19/07 4:57:30PM

Posted by DJDark41

Nice to see MFS picking up some young guys and trying to mold some future superstars. Watch out for him at 155. In about 8 months to a year of solid training with MFS he's gonna be a beast.

Seems like they have a good bunch of young guys, with all those folks fighting for the Silverbacks in the IFL...

Anyone know... If you're on the TUF show, are you locked into a UFC contract? Or could Hill possibly start out in the IFL to gain more experience?
AchillesHeel
6/19/07 5:04:34PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Anyone know... If you're on the TUF show, are you locked into a UFC contract?

Nope. Only the winner is guaranteed to even be offered a contract, and he'd still have to sign it (actually, they probably have to sign a provisional contract up front, to agree to appear in the Finale if they should advance that far). I imagine there are contractual obligations around appearing on the show, not revealing the fight winners and so forth, but that'd be different.
pv3Hpv3p
6/19/07 5:30:10PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Nope. Only the winner is guaranteed to even be offered a contract, and he'd still have to sign it (actually, they probably have to sign a provisional contract up front, to agree to appear in the Finale if they should advance that far). I imagine there are contractual obligations around appearing on the show, not revealing the fight winners and so forth, but that'd be different.

Then I think the IFL would be a great place for him... Just don't know what they'd do with Paleszewski and him both at the same weight...

I wonder how hell bent he is at fighting at 155?
MattHughesFan
6/19/07 5:46:50PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by DJDark41

Seems like they have a good bunch of young guys, with all those folks fighting for the Silverbacks in the IFL...

Anyone know... If you're on the TUF show, are you locked into a UFC contract? Or could Hill possibly start out in the IFL to gain more experience?

Thats one of the problems i have with TUF, only the winner is guaranteed a contract but lets be real there are a ton of guys from TUF that get UFC contracts anyway just b/c they gain popularity from the show. Pretty much half the people u see on any TUF show u can be sure u will see in the UFC at some point. Anyway the best thing for Corry Hill to do is to go to the WEC and gain experience, Zuffa (mainly Dana White) doesn't like the IFL so i think that'd be a bad bet for Corry to go there. After training with MFS though he's really going to be a forced to be reckoned with
szucconi
6/19/07 5:58:09PM

Posted by MattHughesFan

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by DJDark41

Thats one of the problems i have with TUF, only the winner is guaranteed a contract but lets be real there are a ton of guys from TUF that get UFC contracts anyway just b/c they gain popularity from the show. Pretty much half the people u see on any TUF show u can be sure u will see in the UFC at some point. Anyway the best thing for Corry Hill to do is to go to the WEC and gain experience, Zuffa (mainly Dana White) doesn't like the IFL so i think that'd be a bad bet for Corry to go there. After training with MFS though he's really going to be a forced to be reckoned with

Joe Lauzon earned a fight or two in the UFC before TUF with the KO of Pulver, but I agree that the bar is lower for the TUF fighters in general.
Damien6663
6/19/07 8:34:35PM
Corey is going to be a beast, he looked great against diaz. This guy has so much potential, and with his size will cause matchup hell for most lhw's. He also is a very good wrestler, if he can improve that jitsu he will be a beast.
Ulio
6/19/07 9:03:08PM
Ya he will have a great future if he continues to grow and i hope he fights soon i too think he should goto wec or something before debuting in ufc seens tuf fights dont count.
Naturaldisaster
6/19/07 9:51:32PM

Posted by Damien6663

Corey is going to be a beast, he looked great against diaz. This guy has so much potential, and with his size will cause matchup hell for most lhw's. He also is a very good wrestler, if he can improve that jitsu he will be a beast.

corey is a light weight not a Light heavyweight. (not tryin to be an ass, just clearing that up)
Signal2112
6/21/07 6:51:09AM

Posted by Rush

Yeah, because Sherk has a low center of gravity, he could be throwing Corey on his back before he knew what hit him.
spider1179
6/21/07 3:25:13PM
I'm not suprised by this at all. Hill is raw talent. He needs to be with a good camp like MFS to develop into a great MMA fighter in the LW division.
cowcatcher
6/21/07 3:31:41PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

actually from all ive heard every contestant on tuf has a contract with the ufc from the time they sign on to do the show, granted im sure its loose and can be dropped or gotten out of, but im pretty damn sure every contestant has one
Signal2112
6/21/07 4:26:45PM
I don't think we'll ever be seeing Gabe again...