Correct kicking technique

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Correct kicking technique
RNC
7/22/09 10:12:36AM
When throwing a kick such as a body kick, are you supposed to snap the kick at the end or just deaden your leg and let it hit the target?
Jackelope
7/22/09 8:37:28PM
Depends on where you're kicking. For kicks to the legs you can stiffen your leg the whole way through. When kicking to the body or the head you should bring your knee across the target first, and then stiffen your shin and whip it into their body. Push through on kicks to the body and head, which will assist you in whipping back into your stance and causing more damage to your opponent. Just like they always say- kick through your target, not onto your target.

This is MT, FYI. Your particular school or style may teach differently depending on what martial art they're mainly focused upon. Different styles actually have a very wide range of philosophies on how a kick is properly done.

Wolfenstein
7/22/09 9:15:00PM
Jackelope explained it pretty well--I know their are some fundamental differences in different schools.

I'll just focus on the rear low kick, and how it is taught in my school.

You open up your hips by stepping out with your front leg--this will chamber your kick and give you a wider angle to swing from--the knee can be slightly bent, but for the most part it is straight. Assuming you're orthodox --you will use your right hand to counter balance, which we call the slice--so your right hand drops and makes a slicing motion, helping you to regain your balance and reset. Think of it like swinging a bat, or sweeping with a broom. You want to aim your knee as close to the target as possible, and ideally land with the shin, and at worst the instep.

The_Ho_Bag
7/22/09 9:20:25PM
funny thing is every made fun of me ( im a south paw) i never use my rear Round house to kick , i always use lead leg and i just whip it and give it a little snap: until one day i was sparring and they told me to stop using my lead bc it hurt too much : idk i was thinking about it when i saw this
RNC
7/22/09 10:58:09PM
Thanks for the responses guys. Wolfenstein I gotta spread the love.
Jackelope
7/22/09 11:52:19PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Jackelope explained it pretty well--I know their are some fundamental differences in different schools.

I'll just focus on the rear low kick, and how it is taught in my school.

You open up your hips by stepping out with your front leg--this will chamber your kick and give you a wider angle to swing from--the knee can be slightly bent, but for the most part it is straight. Assuming you're orthodox --you will use your right hand to counter balance, which we call the slice--so your right hand drops and makes a slicing motion, helping you to regain your balance and reset. Think of it like swinging a bat, or sweeping with a broom. You want to aim your knee as close to the target as possible, and ideally land with the shin, and at worst the instep.

Way to expound on the kick even better Wolfenstein

That initial step to open the hips is the key. Remember that step should always be stepped outside the stance of your opponent. Not only does this ensure you'll achieve maximum power, but it places your head off line for the counter punch (assuming you're orthodox fighting an orthodox fighter, a straight right hand AKA 2 shot will almost always counter the low 10 aka low round, so you've GOT to move your head in order to not get James Irvin'd) Also, step onto the ball of your foot when you do this, and make sure that you turn your planted heel through with the kick