Cope says "sex tape" comments just a joke, remains steadfast in evaluation of Tompkins

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Cope says "sex tape" comments just a joke, remains steadfast in evaluation of Tompkins
emfleek
7/17/09 8:14:06AM
While UFC 100 was certainly the focus of the MMA world in recent weeks, Kit Cope managed to generate quite a bit of controversy during a July 8 appearance on MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

After a few less-than-complimentary remarks about Xtreme Couture trainer Shawn Tompkins – including dubbing the camp "Xtreme Fashion" – and the suggestion that a sex tape may exist with him and ex-girlfriend Gina Carano, Cope has found himself in hot water with many in the MMA community.

STORY
prozacnation1978
7/17/09 10:37:12AM
cope has no class at all,
i never ever liked this guy for a second
he looks like bad news!!!
Jackelope
7/17/09 10:46:25AM
I agree with Kit Cope's assessment of Shawn Tompkins' overall MT skills, but a lot of the comments this guy has made are just over the line. No class at all.

It'd be all well and dandy if he was backing up anything he said, but the guy is 2-4 overall. Come on now Don't be calling out Xtreme Couture guys when you can't even back up your talk in legitimate competition. I'd love to see Gray Maynard smash this dude.

I'm often times seriously unimpressed with the talk I hear out of Caesar gracie's camp. A lot of those guys have some legit skills, but for a school that prides themselves on a traditional martial art they sure don't exemplify its values. I want to root for those guys, but their fight-hyping-antics make me do otherwise.
mshalosky
7/17/09 10:52:44AM

I'm often times seriously unimpressed with the talk I hear out of Caesar gracie's camp. A lot of those guys have some legit skills, but for a school that prides themselves on a traditional martial art they sure don't exemplify its values. I want to root for those guys, but their fight-hyping-antics make me do otherwise.

I only really respect 2 of them and thats shields and nick diaz they have both proven themselves so they can talk ****. and nate is on his way to proving it but i agree everyone from that camp talks way to much.
slapshot
7/17/09 6:34:32PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

cope has no class at all,
i never ever liked this guy for a second
he looks like bad news!!!

QFT
Nightmare27
7/18/09 2:44:58AM

Posted by mshalosky

I only really respect 2 of them and thats shields and nick diaz they have both proven themselves so they can talk ****. and nate is on his way to proving it but i agree everyone from that camp talks way to much.

Dont forget about Gilbert Melendez. He may be the classiest member of the "Scrap Pack".
Jackelope
7/18/09 11:36:01AM
I cant remember seeing Gilbert Melendez acting a fool recently
slapshot
7/18/09 11:55:00AM

Posted by Jackelope

I agree with Kit Cope's assessment of Shawn Tompkins' overall MT skills,

Just wondering if you have ever trained with him? Fairly hard to judge a trainer from the outside IMO.

Xtreme Couture boxing coach Ron Frazier put the smackdown on just about everything Kit said.
Link
saem-skin
7/18/09 12:03:11PM
I'd like to know which MOD is deleting my posts?
Be a man and explain yourself please.
Jackelope
7/18/09 12:11:55PM

Posted by saem-skin

I'd like to know which MOD is deleting my posts?
Be a man and explain yourself please.

It wasn't me, but I was the one who handed out your IP ban just now. Quit making clone accounts.
Jackelope
7/18/09 12:15:45PM

Posted by slapshot

Posted by Jackelope

I agree with Kit Cope's assessment of Shawn Tompkins' overall MT skills,

Just wondering if you have ever trained with him? Fairly hard to judge a trainer from the outside IMO.

Xtreme Couture boxing coach Ron Frazier put the smackdown on just about everything Kit said.
Link

I never have, and I SHOULD clarify my statements. I actually was looking at this post the other day and thinking that I should elaborate.

What I mean to say by critiquing his MT skills is that it seems to me (and I'm sure Kit Cope) that his guys are much better boxers than they are Muay Thai fighters. Clearly there isn't much advocacy coming from the Xtreme Couture camp when it comes to utilizing kicks effectively. In no way do I mean to say that I'm a better MT fighter than Tompkins, but if I had to judge Xtreme Couture as one thing or another I would say that they're phenomenal wrestlers and boxers. Xtreme Couture is not synonymous to Muay Thai, in my opinion. You would just figure that a camp with as many bad asses and as much money as Xtreme Couture would have a devastasting Muay Thai striking coach who is able to implement muay thai striking into his camp's fighters like Mark Delagrotte, Cyrille Diabate, Mike Winkeljohn, etc. etc.