One of the many cool things about MMA...

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » One of the many cool things about MMA...
emfleek
9/23/08 10:08:30AM
...is the whole 6 degrees of separation aspect when it comes to fighters.

(If you're not sure what I mean by the "6 degrees of separation", CLICK HERE.)

I was just entering my picks for WVR and when I got to the Kiuma Kunioku -vs- A Sol Kwon fight, I was browsing through their records when I found one fight for Kunioku that stands out.

My good friend's brother (Lane Andrews) used to fight back in the day and Kiuma Kunioku is one of the guy's he fought. Sure, it doesn't mean squat to you, but I think it's pretty cool.

To this day, Lane is still good friends with fighters like Nate Marquardt and Chris Lytle, along with quite a few others. I just think that's really cool how "accessible" (but not really) a lot of these fighters actually are.

Anyways...enough rambling. Like I said, the 6 degrees of separation aspect is one of the coolest things about the sport, in my opinion. Anyone agree?
gartface
9/23/08 10:26:09AM

Posted by emfleek

...is the whole 6 degrees of separation aspect when it comes to fighters.

(If you're not sure what I mean by the "6 degrees of separation", CLICK HERE.)

I was just entering my picks for WVR and when I got to the Kiuma Kunioku -vs- A Sol Kwon fight, I was browsing through their records when I found one fight for Kunioku that stands out.

My good friend's brother (Lane Andrews) used to fight back in the day and Kiuma Kunioku is one of the guy's he fought. Sure, it doesn't mean squat to you, but I think it's pretty cool.

To this day, Lane is still good friends with fighters like Nate Marquardt and Chris Lytle, along with quite a few others. I just think that's really cool how "accessible" (but not really) a lot of these fighters actually are.

Anyways...enough rambling. Like I said, the 6 degrees of separation aspect is one of the coolest things about the sport, in my opinion. Anyone agree?

That is kind of crazy. Even if it's just connecting 2 guys from very different organizations, you can probably do it in MMA with 3 or 4 degrees.
Cool story though.
Cdellorso
9/23/08 12:27:49PM
This Dude named Fred George (old man - thought he was bit of a nutter) Had these mma magazines at the poker palace last month- I asked him if he was "into MMA " he said no but his son was.... turns out his son is Fred George MMA strength and cond trainer

also - Noe hernandez- (fought Lidell in UFC 17) just openned a gym here in Grand Blanc where i live.... his brother is my cousins ex hubby-

Accesable is not quite the right word but I agree also- they are "normal people" except for the fact that they like to fight!!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
aaa9erh8er
9/23/08 1:16:22PM
ya its interesting how the fighters act in a personaly enviroment im ca right by stockton my cousin lives there and is friends with nate diaz and ive actually smoked weed with both diaz brothers
DCRage
9/23/08 1:23:32PM
I have an aunt & uncle who live in Stockton and I was told by him that Nick actually lives across the street from them. I don't know if they ever talk to him and I didn't see him there when I last was there a couple years back.
emfleek
9/23/08 1:42:20PM

Posted by Cdellorso

Accesable is not quite the right word

Right. I used it for lack of a better term. Like you said, maybe 'normal' is the best way to describe it.
jiujitsufreak74
9/23/08 2:23:41PM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

ya its interesting how the fighters act in a personaly enviroment im ca right by stockton my cousin lives there and is friends with nate diaz and ive actually smoked weed with both diaz brothers

that is pretty damn cool.
iwannabesedated
9/23/08 3:02:28PM
My cousin has been training with AKA in San Jose for close to a year now.It was funny to see his face in the Team picture in FIGHT magazine a few months ago when they did a story on AKA.He had a fight a few weeks ago at StrikeForce Young Guns III Until the cage door broke.

link
Bumpy
9/23/08 6:55:52PM
I work with Rich Franklins brother Seth.
Jackelope
9/23/08 7:11:48PM
Fighters are definitely cool as hell. I've met a lot of pretty well known fighters recently and they've all been cool as hell.