CONTRACT LOCKS FEDOR TO AFFLICTION, NIXES UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » CONTRACT LOCKS FEDOR TO AFFLICTION, NIXES UFC
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/15/08 11:27:16PM
MMAWeekly.com on Wednesday learned that Affliction Entertainment has entered into a formal partnership with M-1 Global to promote mixed martial arts events around the globe.

The two entities had already been working together, but had no formal arrangement.

The partnership is bad news for fans that hope to see “The Last Emperor” tussle with Randy Couture in the UFC. The new agreement makes Emelianenko an exclusive client of Affliction and M-1 Global worldwide for the foreseeable future. Previously, Affliction’s deal with M-1 Global was exclusive only to the U.S.

Link

so no more "Fedor to the UFC" rumor threads??????

cmill21
10/15/08 11:39:44PM
Well now will they be working with Dream?
bojangalz
10/16/08 12:05:33AM

Posted by cmill21

Well now will they be working with Dream?

I sure hope so, but it doesn't look good. Although, I know there was talk that Affliction was working to get Mousassi for the January card. He's managed by M-1 as well. Maybe they get something worked out with DREAM in that respect and keep the lines of communication open.
MMAcca
10/16/08 12:10:16AM
It's only a matter of time until Fedor signs to fight for the UFC, even if it is only a one-fight deal to start with and he fights Randy.

He's simply running out of options imo.

After he fights Arlovski, there's only Barnett left. So he beats both of them and maybe rematches one of them, if it's a fairly close fight(doubtful i know) but then he has nobody else to go after who isn't in the UFC.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/16/08 12:16:17AM

Posted by MMAcca

There's always Kimbo

i agree w/ mmacca, i think its gotta happen, jsut not sure when
MMAcca
10/16/08 12:22:45AM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by MMAcca

There's always Kimbo

i agree w/ mmacca, i think its gotta happen, jsut not sure when

Kimbo ? Never heard of him...

Manfred
10/16/08 12:27:29AM

Posted by MMAcca

It's only a matter of time until Fedor signs to fight for the UFC, even if it is only a one-fight deal to start with and he fights Randy.

After he fights Arlovski, there's only Barnett left. So he beats both of them and maybe rematches one of them, if it's a fairly close fight(doubtful i know) but then he has nobody else to go after who isn't in the UFC.

The problem is there isn't that much in the UFC for him either. A Randy match up would sell, but isn't that compelling to me. Esp. since it'll be another year or two before that fight will happen.

Beyond that, Mir, Werdum, GG and God help us, Brock are not even close to his level.

MMAcca
10/16/08 12:36:07AM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by MMAcca

The problem is there isn't that much in the UFC for him either. A Randy match up would sell, but isn't that compelling to me. Esp. since it'll be another year or two before that fight will happen.

Beyond that, Mir, Werdum, GG and God help us, Brock are not even close to his level.

Agreed.

But Brock would sell, no question about that and Vs Big Nog in a cage is something i would definately want to see.

Also in a couple of years Velasquez and Carwin could be up there challenging the best.....
BlessMahMic
10/16/08 1:37:01AM
There goes Couture Vs. Fedor
prozacnation1978
10/16/08 2:58:14AM
that sucks i wanted to see fedor vs randy
Branwest
10/16/08 10:16:11AM
That blows. However, I respect Fedor's decision. It's his to make.
I wish they'd release the details of the contract, however it doesn't much matter because Randy only has 2 to 3 fights left, max. The Brock fight, if he wins, then he'll probably fight the winner of Mir/Noguiera, and then, it'd be nice to see him fight Fedor. But that probably won't happen now.

This news has sent me spiraling into a deep, dark depression from which I may never come out of. Please pray for me.

Alright, I'm kidding, but it does sadden me. They NEED to fight. Now, we'll always wonder what would've happened.
Branwest
10/16/08 10:21:26AM

Posted by MMAcca

What do you mean? He just signed a new contract, I assume with a non-compete clause. Until the details are released, we don't know how long that contract is. Even though Barnett has a fight coming up in another org, as does others, this new contract basically means that Fedor CAN'T fight in the UFC, at least till his contracts up anyways. He may eventually sign with the UFC, but by that time, Randy will be gone, and I don't want to see him attempt a comeback in two years. It just wouldn't be the same. A year ago, or even now, would be great, but not 2 or more years down the road. I agree that after AA and Barnett, who else does he have that would be competitive? No one, but in the meantime, they'll be trying to get more legit HW"s, and some may leave the UFC for an opportunity to fight him. I don't care about Fedor/Buentello or Nelson, or Rothwell, or Ricco. After AA and Barnett, they need someone else.
mrsmiley
10/16/08 10:53:34AM
It don't suprise me.
While I still would love to see Fedor vs Randy,the interest is fading.
If Randy can come back and beat brock,then take the winner of Nog and Mir,I'm still going to think in the back of my mind he needs to fight Barnett again.
LOL.

But in all honesty,I think the biggest threat to Fedor in the HW division in terms of competition is without a doubt Barnett.
If Fedor fought Randy or Brock I think it would be in his best interest in terms of spreading his popularity,but not competition wise.

I think at best,Randy gives Fedor his biggest test in the Clinch phase of combat,but will come up short if Fedor takes it to the ground.
If the fight stays standing I think it could honestly go either way,but I give the edge to Fedor based on his explosive strength.Plus the age factor.
I believe anything Randy will go for in this bout will be in vain,due to the fact Fedor will be a step ahead of Randy the whole time.Thus in the end I believe Randy will get caught,or rocked,and Fedor will take instant advantage of the situation.

I think Brock would,without a doubt outpower Fedor and most likely put Fedor on his back.It would be a grueling bout,but despite all of Brocks atheletic ability and power,he still lacks a full understanding of the game.
He dominated Herring in their fight,but I still can't believe he didn't finish Herring.He seemed to take his time,and implemented a horrendous beat down of the crazy horse in a somewhat mythodical fashion.
Though Heath is one tough guy,I've sadly come to the conclusion he isn't the same Heath who once was considered a top 10 fighter in the HW division when he was duking it out in PRIDE.
In the end,even if Brock comes in with an improved understanding of the game,Fedor takes him in fashion simular to Mir.

That leaves me with Barnett.Barnett has good standup,and won't fall for Fedors flash submission attempts like countless others before him.
While Fedor can score points with submission attempts,Barnett will stay ahead on the score cards by keeping posisiton,and pounding away at Fedor.(Even if he isn't doing a considerable amount of damage.)
Barnett will hold his own in the standup game,and I think the exchanges between the two will be an even trade.
In the end I think it will come down to a decesion that will go either way,but Barnett will look to be the better of the two.

Now lets take a look at AA.
I think he will pose the biggest threat to Fedor in terms of the standup game.
But unless AA catches Fedor fast,I don't see this fight staying on the feet for two long.
Take Rothwell and Nelson's ground game against AA,both of whom dominated AA on the mat,and amp that up at least 5 more notches and that's what AA is in for when he fights Fedor.

When Fedor takes the Pitbull to the ground this fight will not go back to the feet.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Which leaves Andrea with 3 options.

1.Hold on for dear life and wait for the round to end
2.Improve his posistion and try to gain control
3.Look for an opening and go for a submission

AA knows Sambo himself,and isn't to be messed with on the ground,but after seeing his performances against the IFL's best,i'm convinced he won't look very good against Fedor if this fight goes to the ground.
Darnok
10/16/08 11:19:58AM
This is probably just a ploy by Affliction to get the UFC to let Randy go and fight Fedor. Affliction knows that unless they can set up the Randy Fedor fight they probably wont be in business long enough to hold Fedor to a contract anyway.

Remember what Dana said. Contracts don't mean anything when the promotion is bankrupt. Or something like that.
MMAcca
10/16/08 1:28:44PM

Posted by Branwest

Posted by MMAcca

What do you mean? He just signed a new contract, I assume with a non-compete clause. Until the details are released, we don't know how long that contract is. Even though Barnett has a fight coming up in another org, as does others, this new contract basically means that Fedor CAN'T fight in the UFC, at least till his contracts up anyways. He may eventually sign with the UFC, but by that time, Randy will be gone, and I don't want to see him attempt a comeback in two years. It just wouldn't be the same. A year ago, or even now, would be great, but not 2 or more years down the road. I agree that after AA and Barnett, who else does he have that would be competitive? No one, but in the meantime, they'll be trying to get more legit HW"s, and some may leave the UFC for an opportunity to fight him. I don't care about Fedor/Buentello or Nelson, or Rothwell, or Ricco. After AA and Barnett, they need someone else.

Affliction won't be around long enough for Fedor to see out his contract