"No Contest" rule

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » "No Contest" rule
POLL: Do you think there needs to be an option to pick if a match will end in a "No Contest"
yes 21% (7)
no 79% (27)
GrandMaster313
7/9/07 3:22:05PM
There has been a lot of discussion lately when it comes to "nailbyter" matches.
I for one was upset with various fights including the more recent maynard fight.
Now I know how hard it would be to predict a "no contest" considering they don't happen that often. On another note as it stands now when matches end up like this we are neither Awarded nor Penalized when this occurs, but wouldn't you still like to have a "No Contest" option and do something different maybe by adding a wager with a "No Contest" selection. I'd like to know how people feel about this so please respond when you read this.
Destroyer88
7/9/07 3:35:08PM
IDK, I think its a waste of time. For every 100-200 fights in the UFC there is like 1 or 2 no contests. Nobody can tell you when a no contest is gonig to happen. Before the TUF 5 finale, it was a few years since there was a no contest in the UFC. I just think it'd be a waste of time for the people who run this place. If you can predict not only if a no contest is gonig to happen and in what fight, then you should be at the top of the ladder in points.
nellyhiphophead
7/9/07 3:44:50PM
i don't think they should add it but go for it i will never pick that but if others do it just means they will not pick many fights right.
mma_fan_matt
7/9/07 6:11:59PM
No. You hardly see a no contest. Can you honestly sit here and say "oh yeah I knew that fight was going to end in a no contest!" People will just pick no contest and 99% of the time they're going to be wrong.
postman
7/9/07 6:26:23PM
Bad Idea no one would pick it
ryderstrong69
7/9/07 6:31:06PM
i think they should give points for picking a draw, the day tito/rashad was aanounce i said that fight would be a draw, and even picked it to be a draw on my picks and yet when it happened no points were awarded, even though thats what i picked, i have sent out emails and posted in other threads and yet i cant get a mod to tell me why i didnt get any points for picking a draw
Destroyer88
7/9/07 7:12:11PM

Posted by ryderstrong69

i think they should give points for picking a draw, the day tito/rashad was aanounce i said that fight would be a draw, and even picked it to be a draw on my picks and yet when it happened no points were awarded, even though thats what i picked, i have sent out emails and posted in other threads and yet i cant get a mod to tell me why i didnt get any points for picking a draw

under the fighter options, did you pick either tito or rashad? if you picked someone, and picked a draw, you dont get points because you picked a winner. if you didnt pick anybody you should of gotten points.

but seriously, nobody wakes up and says "i think that fights going to be a draw, or that fights going to be a no contest" NOBODY thinks that. this isnt the WWE, you cant predict everything that is going to happen in the sport. you dont know what fight is going to be a draw or no contest. when people think a fight is going to end by KO, thats a pretty good guess because there are only three ways to win a fight. TKO/KO, sub, or decision. Those three results have happened hundreds of times in the UFC. In the course of the UFC, there have probabley been like.....5-10 draws and 3-4 no contests. nobody can tell if the fight is going to end in a no contest or draw, and this will just be a waste of time for the people who run this site to go and add a option that nobody will use, or atleast the smart people wont use it.
ryderstrong69
7/10/07 6:53:56AM
they wouldnt let you pick the draw option with out picking a fighter, but yes from the moment tito/rashad was announce i said it would be such a boring fight because they are both wrestlers with not much else fall back on that the fight would be a draw, and if you cant believe that feel free to email anyone in my fight camp to confirm that i have been calling draw on that fight, plus if draw was just a typo and never really an option, then i got double screwed because its not the first fight i have called for a draw, had i know that i wouldnt get points for a draw then i would have picked a different result and would probably have more points now, im becinging to think this game is rigged
DoTheMMAth
7/10/07 10:35:04AM

Posted by ryderstrong69

im becinging to think this game is rigged

The last time a draw happened in a UFC event was over 4 years ago (correct me if I'm wrong though). Did you honestly go into this UFC saying to yourself "yep, this fight is deffinitely going to be a draw even though there hasn't been one for hundreds of fights" ?? The fact is that "draw" wasn't supposed to be included in the selection process, as it defies logic to pick someone that you think will win, then select a draw. This was an error on site admin's part, plain and simple, and there's nothing that can be done about it now, I'm sorry.

Besides pleasing the <10% of people that happened to pick "split decision", changing it at this point would accomplish nothing but going against the stated rules of the site, pissing off 90% of our users, and giving out fairly useless points (because we'd have to give points both to the people who picked Tito and the people that picked Rashad). The site FAQ (which hasn't been changed in months) says:

How are fights that end in draws or no contest handled?

Draw and no contest fights are just simply not calculated into the points, ranking, or earnings.

So tell me, should the site admin reverse everything, anger a large portion of other users, and go against its own rules on the grounds that you claim to have predicted this would end in a draw (even though there hasn't been a UFC drawn in over 4 years and hundreds of fights)?
zephead
7/10/07 10:39:51AM

Posted by ryderstrong69

they wouldnt let you pick the draw option with out picking a fighter, but yes from the moment tito/rashad was announce i said it would be such a boring fight because they are both wrestlers with not much else fall back on that the fight would be a draw, and if you cant believe that feel free to email anyone in my fight camp to confirm that i have been calling draw on that fight, plus if draw was just a typo and never really an option, then i got double screwed because its not the first fight i have called for a draw, had i know that i wouldnt get points for a draw then i would have picked a different result and would probably have more points now, im becinging to think this game is rigged

Yep, game is rigged. You caught us.
nellyhiphophead
7/10/07 12:51:13PM
it's funny how pl are crying over this i think you guys should just add in at where you pick sub tko... and make it if you havn't picked a fighter you and pick no contest or draw. and if you pick it and it happens you get the full 11 points. like i know i would never pick it but this way you can jsut make everyone happy. and you won't have to hear these baby cry.
CWall33
7/10/07 3:58:33PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Posted by ryderstrong69

im becinging to think this game is rigged

The last time a draw happened in a UFC event was over 4 years ago (correct me if I'm wrong though). ...

So tell me, should the site admin reverse everything, anger a large portion of other users, and go against its own rules on the grounds that you claim to have predicted this would end in a draw (even though there hasn't been a UFC drawn in over 4 years and hundreds of fights)?

Thus ends the discussion.
ryderstrong69
7/10/07 6:10:25PM
how could anyone not think the fight would have been a draw or split dec. it dosnt matter how long its been since a draw hppened, what are you saying that because it hasnt happened in 4 yrs that it cant happen if you dont want to give points fine but then you should admit this site is poorly run and you need to find new mods so that you dont have options like picking a draw that contridict the rule. i know you have removed the option, and thats a start, but its not enough. i think anyone who picked a draw should get some kind of compensation since it was an option. hell at the very least the mods could send out an email to anyone who picked a draw and apologize for the confusion, but no the mods here are just either to lazy or they dont give a crap that this game is becoming a joke

and by the way i dont see how it should piss anyone off who picked a winner by dec ko or tko or waht ever if someone who picked a draw got points i think thisgame has been set up to draw sponsership money and that you have a select few people that you want to win and you will do what ever you can to help them along, jsut like in the middle of last seassion when you changed the point system, a member of my fight camp had 1st place on an event and then after the point system changed he lost his first place spot, and no apologies were offered to him, and to add insult to injury you gave "hall of fame' marks to people and still did not aplogize to him.
ryderstrong69
7/10/07 6:15:17PM

Posted by zephead

Posted by ryderstrong69

are you trying to be a keyboard warrior, at least the other mod said he was sorry, you on the other had respond with being a smart ass...your supose to be a mod but you sound more like the punks that post on the sherdog forums
zephead
7/17/07 3:58:38PM

Posted by ryderstrong69

Posted by zephead

Posted by ryderstrong69

are you trying to be a keyboard warrior, at least the other mod said he was sorry, you on the other had respond with being a smart ass...your supose to be a mod but you sound more like the punks that post on the sherdog forums

How am I being a keyboard warrior?? Instead of thinking rationally, you come on here and post that the MODS are lazy (even though I recieved no PM from you) you said you sent out e-mails (I didn't recieve one) THe you say the games rigged.

I responded in kind to your sarcastic post. Should I have? Maybe not. But at some point, when a user throws out the accusations that you did, you either ban you or go crazy. Well I didn't ban you and didn't go crazy. I responded the way you did. So what you posted, was it wrong?
Ronnielott4eva42
7/21/07 1:23:02AM

Posted by ryderstrong69

I know what you mean.

I thought I would get the full 11 for the Tito Rashad fight because it said Split Decision/Draw. but i guess i can see where they're coming from with it
CWall33
7/21/07 6:37:42AM

Posted by Ronnielott4eva42

I know what you mean.

I thought I would get the full 11 for the Tito Rashad fight because it said Split Decision/Draw. but i guess i can see where they're coming from with it

Did you pick a winner for that fight?
If so, you didn't pick a draw.
Basic logic.
Ronnielott4eva42
7/21/07 11:09:36PM

Posted by CWall33

Posted by Ronnielott4eva42

I know what you mean.

Did you pick a winner for that fight?
If so, you didn't pick a draw.
Basic logic.

Yeah I picked Rashad , and I agree with not getting the points, but I thought I would get the poins for it, Im not arguing.
masodd
7/22/07 7:54:06PM
no it hardly ever happens
casey64
7/22/07 7:57:50PM
I do not think so.