top 2 contenders in each division now??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » top 2 contenders in each division now??
prozacnation1978
7/9/08 9:30:11PM
who know deserve title shots or are a fight away from them
NOT COUNTING THE FIGHTS ARLEADY TAKEN PLACE IN THE NEXT FEW MONTHS ALREADY

heavyweight

i think werdum will have to fight another fight, i don't see him sitting out at least 9 months to get his shot,
in those 9 months another fighter will emerge if not cro cop coming back next year maybe lesnar

light heavyweight

i see machida derserving it, and will get screwed out of it, if lidell can finish evans quick he will get next shot while machida will be the okami of the division.

middle

i see bisping getting his shot after he finishes leban plus a top ten fighter like hendo, rich, nate, or even okami if he does lose to silva

maybe cote does get his title shot but i still think he is in same boat as bisping they need to beat a top 10 or top 5 guy in the ufc division
say cote vs bisping for title shot next year anyone??

welter

after gsp/fitch match i do think bj penn will fight gsp
but a thiago alves vs kos fight is intriguing, or even if sanchez does beat thiago to see a rematch between kos and diego for title shot would be awesome

light

with now the division in a flux with penn moving up, and now seems winner of florian vs huerta might have to weight a long time
i do see some big matchups for the number 2 spot
between joe, tyson, sean, and maybe even nate diaz and guida fighting each other to get a clear cut number two guy.

in oct and nov for main events
i really have no clue if their will be any title fights

with heavy title in dec
and welter and lightweight caught up right now till next year
middle is in sept not enought time 2 months
unless forrest does fight in nov against a machida given lidell does win in sept but won't fight so early i see the ufc not having a choice but to give machida the shot with lidell fighting winner super bowl weekend in vegas next year

they do still have a wandy vs rampage match and a hughes vs serra that good put some butts in the seats
juanez13
7/9/08 9:38:28PM
top 2 contenders in each division:

HW-> Werdum & Herring

LHW-> Rampage & Machida

MW-> Cote & Henderson

WW-> Thiago & Koscheck

LW-> Florian/Huerta & Sherk

didnt include Okami and Fitch since they already got guaranteed title shots coming up)
mkiv9secsupra
7/9/08 9:41:20PM
HW - obviously Mir is getting the next shot, then maybe Herring after he finishes Lesnar

LHW - Machida is the only one that doesnt have a recent loss so he should be next then Liddell

MW - I hope they are still giving the next shot to Okami then Cote

WW - Fitch is up next and Penn is pretty much set in stone.

LW - Winner of Huerta/Florian will get the next shot and after that its a complete toss up. I hope they match Tyson Griffin vs Joe "Daddy" for the next shot
Twenty20Dollars
7/9/08 9:55:12PM
werdum, mir
liddell,rampage
okami,cote
alves,kos
huerta,florian
jawbreaker517
7/9/08 10:15:00PM
here are my top two contenders in each division: heavyweights: werdum and gonzaga light heavyweights: machida and rashad evans(if he beats liddell) middleweights: cote and bisping(if he beats leben) welterweights: fitch and alves lightweights: winner out of huerta vs florian
Khaos
7/9/08 10:57:42PM
LW: Kenflo & Huerta
WW: Josh Koscheck & no one else
MW: Cote and Leben(if Leben wins)
LHW: Machida and Rampage
HW: Werdum, Werdum, and oh yeah Werdum
mrkennedy
7/9/08 11:58:52PM

HW: Werdum + Mir(IMO Gonzaga is befor mir but mir have the next TS)

LHW: Rampage + Machida

MW: Côté + Hendo

WW: Alves + Kos

LW:Huerta + Griffin

WEC

FW:Faber + Miller(Micah)

BW:Torres + Tapia(manny)

bojangalz
7/10/08 12:46:38AM

Posted by Khaos

WW: Josh Koscheck & no one else

Is there something wrong with you?
MMAcca
7/10/08 1:09:50AM

Posted by juanez13

top 2 contenders in each division:

HW-> Werdum & Herring

LHW-> Rampage & Machida

MW-> Okami & Henderson

WW-> Thiago & Koscheck

LW-> Florian/Huerta & Sherk

didnt include Cote and Fitch since they already got guaranteed title shots coming up)

I agree with this, except it's Cote who has the guaranteed title shot coming up, Okami's shot was all just rumour, whereas Cote has been confirmed as the number 1 contender by the UFC
eyeforeigneye
7/10/08 1:13:44AM
lw - Florian/Huerta is first but it should be the winner of Griffin/Stevenson vs Guida/Diaz(or Neer) for the next shot
ww - Fitch, Alves/Sanchez
mw - Okami, Maia or Cote
lhw - Wandy, Machida/Shogun/Chuckles
hw - no one, Big Nog would take'm
RNC
7/10/08 1:16:07AM
How can anyone possibly say Hendo as a top contender for MW? Anderson just ran through him less than two months ago and he hasn't had a fight since.

LW: Florian/Huerta and Tyson
WW: Alves/Sanchez and Koscheck
MW: Cote and Bisping/Leben
LHW: Machida and Liddell/Evens
HW: Werdum and Herring
Aether
7/10/08 1:18:55AM
I wouldn't count lesnar out of the herring fight. I think it could go either way. Lesnar isn't great now but he looks like he has massive potential and if he develops sub defense he could be pretty ruthless.

Contenders uhhh..

HW: Mir (obvious) then Werdum and Herring if he wins.
LHW: Rampage, Liddell if he beats rashad. possibly also machida but he might have to wait, his style isn't marketable.
MW:cote is obvious after him I'd say Okami, Hendo OR winner of Bispbing vs Leben.
WW: BJ and Fitch are also guaranteed their fights but after them Thiago Alves definitely deserves a shot if he doesn't fail to make weight again and then koscheck.
LW: The winner of Florian/Huerta obvious again, then Griffin and maybe winner of Stevenson vs Sherk? That match should probably happen.
RNC
7/10/08 1:55:19AM

Posted by Aether

I wouldn't count lesnar out of the herring fight. I think it could go either way. Lesnar isn't great now but he looks like he has massive potential and if he develops sub defense he could be pretty ruthless.

It's hard to consider anyone a real contender at HW right now.

Aside from Mir and Nog fighting for the title, whats left over isn't much.

Werdum is the closest, then Herring.

But if Brock beats Herring, I wouldn't consider him a contender at 1-1 in the UFC.

I think Werdum will get the shot at whoever wins Mir/Nog
Pitbull09
7/10/08 2:31:35AM
Everyone said it pretty much right. Its good the divisions are this clear right now. Awhile ago everything was in the air and f'ed
Aether
7/10/08 10:41:34AM

Posted by Dialect

Posted by Aether

It's hard to consider anyone a real contender at HW right now.

Aside from Mir and Nog fighting for the title, whats left over isn't much.

Werdum is the closest, then Herring.

But if Brock beats Herring, I wouldn't consider him a contender at 1-1 in the UFC.

I think Werdum will get the shot at whoever wins Mir/Nog

I didn't say Lesnar should be considered a contender. I said "don't count him out of the herring fight". As in he has a chance to win the fight. I didn't put his name on my contender list, I have werdum and mir as well.
DCRage
7/10/08 10:59:48AM
My thoughts:
HW: Shane Carwin, Gonzaga. Kongo maybe if he bounces back with a win in his next fight.

LHW: Machida, Vera if he stays at 205 for good. Otherwise Liddell.

MW: Franklin, Cote-who likely is next after Okami.

WW: Alves, Kos-largely because he's beaten Diego.

LW: Huerta, Florian. If Mac Danzig beats Clay Guida he could be one fight away too.
KYGUY07
7/10/08 12:13:57PM
hw - werdum, mir
lhw - machida, liddell
mw - cote, okami
ww - fitch, alves
Lw - florian, huerta
Purge
7/10/08 12:20:44PM
Keep in mind, if you're unmarketable, you're ******

HW - Werdum & Lesnar, No way Herring is getting a shot he already lost to Nog 3x.

LHW - Wanderlei and Rampage

MW - Cote and Okami

WW - Thiago Alves and Kos

LW - Huerta and Tyson
MoJoy
7/10/08 1:58:20PM
HW:Werdum Congo
LHW:Machida Liddell
MW:Okami Cote
WW:Alves Kos
LW:Florian Griffin

gsquat
7/10/08 2:24:59PM
I'm excluding all non-UFC fighters as this is the UFC forum.

HW: Werdum, Mir
LHW: Machida, Liddell/Evans
MW: Okami, Cote
WW: Fitch, Alves/Sanchez
LW: Florian/Huerta, Diaz/Neer
Franklinfan47
7/10/08 5:52:29PM
lw- winner of Florian/Huerta obviously, then either Nate Diaz or Tyson Griffin (i think they should fight for the spot).

ww-fitch obviously, then Alves.

mw- Okami, then Hendo again.

lhw- Machida, then rampage again.

hw-Werdum, then i dunno. Maybe Vera?
prozacnation1978
7/10/08 6:24:14PM
i am glad we are all pretty much on the same page here!!!!!!!!
tylerlee123
7/10/08 7:37:39PM
HW: Werdum or Herring, if he can win on the 9th

LHW: Machida, or either Liddell or Wandy

MW: Okami, or either Cote or Meia

WW: Koscheck or Alves, with win over Sanchez

LW: Florian or either Huerta or Stevenson