next contenders in ufc??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » next contenders in ufc??
prozacnation1978
3/21/10 12:57:20PM
With a lot of title fights in the next. Month and only the heavyweight
Division knowing who is next for lesnar
Who are the next ones

Lightweight. Either maynard. Or?? Who else is there??
If gomi wins would they give him next shot??

Welterweight. If fitch wins it should be him. I doubt winner
Of kos vs daley deserve it but it might just happen
Sleeper fighter might actually be paulo thiago

Middleweight. Gets easier. Belfort or sonnen
With winner of akiyama vs silva right behind them
Sleeper. Fighter if belcher beats cote he will be in the mix

Lightheavy. Easy. If page wins. Does he get a shot or will he leave
The ufc like he said?? And if so then who is up?? Does couture
Deserve it if he beats franklin?? Or
Sleeper fighter. Lil nog leaps over couture with a stoppage over griffin
In may. If jones wins. Where does he stand??

Next few months will be exciting to see who gets next cracks
For the belts
NatedawgThaM
3/21/10 1:06:00PM
Heavyweight: I think easily the next contender is Cain Velasquez since the other 3 top Heavyweight are all in the title picture right now with Lesnar out right now, and Mir/Carwin for the Heavyweight title. After that mess in the summer I expect the winner to fight Cain.

I think obviously if Rampage KO's Rashad then he is the obvious #1 contender but I don't if the UFC will push him if Rampage is just wanting to finish his contract. I think if Lil Nog beats Forrest pretty badly like his definitely could I think he'd be next. You know they wanna push Randy but their's just no argument for Randy right now, even if he beats Franklin IMO that only still keeps him in the later top 10.

Chael Sonnen and Vitor Belfort are next it's just whose going to fight first. I hope they just continue with Vitor-Anderson in the summer because I really think Chael would just outwrestle Vitor with a decision. Chael's earned it more but I think Vitor has a better shot.

Fitch I think is next if he can beat Alves, definitely if he finishes him. Next I think would be Kos if he beats both Paul and Hardy(if Hardy loses). Paulo Thiago is even up their now so Kos might even have to rematch him. So I say just give it to Fitch and see if Kos can get through these 3 men.

Lightweight I think is Maynard. And if Florian wins he'd probably be closer to a rematch. Miller & Griffin are getting up their I think they should fight each other.
jae_1833
3/21/10 3:35:11PM
Sleepers who I think will make top 5 very soon:
LW: Jim Miller (1 fight away), George Sotiropoulous (2 fights away)
WW: Anthony Johnson (2 fights away), Diego Sanchez (2 fights away)
MW: Alan Belcher (2 fights away)
LHW: Ryan Bader (2 fights away)
HW: Junior Dos Santos (1 fight away)
State_Champ
3/21/10 3:46:15PM

Posted by jae_1833

Sleepers who I think will make top 5 very soon:
LW: Jim Miller (1 fight away), George Sotiropoulous (2 fights away)
WW: Anthony Johnson (2 fights away), Diego Sanchez (2 fights away)
MW: Alan Belcher (2 fights away)
LHW: Ryan Bader (2 fights away)
HW: Junior Dos Santos (1 fight away)

What defines a 'sleeper'?

I wouldn't think JDS is a sleeper.
I wouldn't really consider Anthony Johnson a sleeper either.
I wouldn't think Sanchez is a sleeper.
Actually I would really only consider Jim Miller, George Sotiropoulus, and Alan Belcher to be sleepers from your list.
Maybe sleeper is a very subjective term?
Or maybe I'm just plain wrong.
BeeR
3/21/10 4:27:52PM
names that come to mind without much thought...Valesquez, JDS, Jones, Paulo Thiago, Maynard, Sotiropolus Johnson, maybe Gomi

prozacnation1978
3/22/10 12:11:47AM
I think sleepers are fighters under the rader
Creeping up
jae_1833
3/22/10 12:22:32AM
I guess I just mean that MMA fans know who they are but UFC fans don't realize their potential/skills.....yeah I used it loosely for PGers.
Bloodhound
3/22/10 2:05:32AM
HW: Cain Velasquez (1 fight away) / Junior Dos Santos (2 fights away) [not including Mir/Carwin]
LHW: Rampage Jackson (1 fight away) / Jon Jones (2 fights away) / Ryan Bader (2 fights away)
MW: Vitor Belfort (asap) / Chael Sonnen (2-3 fights away)
WW: Anthony Johnson (2 fights away) / Paulo Thiago (2-3 fights away) / Paul Daley vs Josh Koscheck winner
LW: Gray Maynard (1 fight away) / Tyson Griffin (2-3 fights away)
lohmann
3/22/10 3:05:14AM
Lightweight: If Gomi defeats Florian, especially if he does so by knockout, he would receive the next shot. The UFC would find the ability to promote a rematch between Penn and Gomi easily marketable: simply put, the winner of a rematch would lay claim to the title of the greatest lightweight in MMA's short history. After Penn defeated Gomi years ago, Gomi had that incredible run and Zuffa would be able to push Gomi as improved from the first time (as well as Penn). Otherwise, Maynard would probably not be Okami'd.

Welterweight: The winner of Koscheck vs. Daley will get the next crack at Georges St. Pierre.

Middleweight: Either Belfort or the winner of a possible Belfort vs. Sonnen fight.

Light Heavyweight: The winner of Jackson vs. Evans is the obvious choice to contend for the UFC title. Evans would be coming off back-to-back top ten victories and would deserve a rematch against Machida (or Rua), and Jackson has never properly had a second crack a title he used to hold.

Heavyweight: The winner of Mir vs. Carwin, obviously; if the winner has sustained an injury, Velasquez; if not, Velasquez vs. Dos Santos seems an obvious title eliminator.
State_Champ
3/22/10 7:58:20AM

Posted by Bloodhound

HW: Cain Velasquez (1 fight away) / Junior Dos Santos (2 fights away) [not including Mir/Carwin]
LHW: Rampage Jackson (1 fight away) / Jon Jones (2 fights away) / Ryan Bader (2 fights away)
MW: Vitor Belfort (asap) / Chael Sonnen (2-3 fights away)
WW: Anthony Johnson (2 fights away) / Paulo Thiago (2-3 fights away) / Paul Daley vs Josh Koscheck winner
LW: Gray Maynard (1 fight away) / Tyson Griffin (2-3 fights away)

Awesome list!
I agree with most of what you're saying......

I would say Dos Santos is only one fight away though (a fight with Velasquez hopefully)
I would say Chael Sonnen is as close as a 1 win to a contender.
Paulo Thiago should be closer than Anthony Johnson.
HulkRage
3/22/10 12:27:07PM
HW - Dos Santos should be #1 contender, I said this after the Wedom fight and still saying it.
LHW- Page vs. Evans for #1 spot
MW - Sonnen ?
WW - ? Bring in Shields? or Serra for rubber match
LW - ? Florian?