Who are the Next WW contenders??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who are the Next WW contenders??
Next Page »
Violence108
8/13/09 4:26:47PM
GSP has destoryed all of this oppents scenes getting back his title
1.Matt Serra - TKO
2.Jon Fitch - UD
3.BJ Penn - TKO
4.Thiago Alves- UD
No one really have put him in a back and forth battle. But some new contenters are comeing up in the ranks and looking for a title shot against the Champ.

Mike Swick/Martin Kampmann - The winner gets the next shot at GSP, i think that Mike Swick can pull off the win over Martin , but when it comes to GSP i dont think he has that big of chance.

But whos next after the winner of that fight??
Heres some guys that are looking at a run for the title soon or in the next year or two
Carlos Condit- maybe after 3 or 4 good wins in the UFC he will be in the running for a title shot.
Dan Hardy- After the Davis fight i think he shown that he can go toe-to-toe with top level fights.
Dong Hyun Kim - Hes undeated so far in the UFC and against some tuff guys i can see him being in the title picture sooner of later.

Then you have the guys that have already got there shot at the title .
Jon Fitch- A few more wins he might get another shot, but i dont see the fight going any different than the 1st one
Thiago Alvs- I think that he could beat GSP going into UFC100 and i still do, i would like to see him fight Jon Fitch again for the contenders spot down the line

Guys that problay wont get another shot soon or ever
Matt Serra- Got lucky in the 1st fight with GSP, and i dont see him being able to compet with the rest of the WW divison.
Matt Hughes- I think he should retire, he beat Matt Serra thats what he wanted to do for the last year or so, so now i think he should hang up the gloves, right into the Fall of Fame.

DCRage
8/13/09 4:59:24PM
2 words: Brock Larson.
thunderstruck
8/13/09 5:07:27PM
bring over cung le from strike force ...hes a small 185er who could prolly cut to 170 rather easy and could be a great warm up for a show down with anderson ...as i believe cungs stand up would be the best test for gsp to date in terms of stand up striking (on par with alvez , at least ) . then i think weather or not asilvas there still , i think a move up in class to 185 brings more stiffer opposition for gsp and potentially bigger name fighters with bigger stronger wrestling to test himself against . i think a hendo /marquardt /okami /wandy /belfort vs gsp fight would be epic and id gladly pay my 50 bucks to see it . my opinion anyway . condit ?swick ? kampman ? not so much , for me anyway ...
SmileR
8/13/09 6:06:31PM

Posted by DCRage

2 words: Brock Larson.

That dude it out right frightening!
Kampann is probably going to be the next contender after he takes out Swick also.
KaibaThedon
8/13/09 6:11:53PM

Carlos Condit- maybe after 3 or 4 good wins in the UFC he will be in the running for a title shot.

This would probably be a good fight, but he doesn't really offer anything more than GSP's previously vanquished opponents.

Dan Hardy- After the Davis fight i think he shown that he can go toe-to-toe with top level fights.

A lot of people felt that he didn't actually win this fight. I don't really even consider Davis a top ten WW, so Hardy will have to beat a few tough guys before he's even considered. Love his hair though.

Dong Hyun Kim - Hes undeated so far in the UFC and against some tuff guys i can see him being in the title picture sooner of later.

Undefeated yes, but I thought he lost the fight to Matt Brown, and he also lost to Karo if that wasn't turned into a No Contest.

Jon Fitch- A few more wins he might get another shot, but i dont see the fight going any different than the 1st one

Jon Fitch is far and away the best Welterweight on the planet not named Georges RUSH St. Pierre.

Thiago Alvs- I think that he could beat GSP going into UFC100 and i still do, i would like to see him fight Jon Fitch again for the contenders spot down the line

This was supposedley GSP's biggest challenge, but I thought even before UFC100 that Jon Fitch was his toughest test. Would love to see a rematch between him and Fitch for a contender's spot.

Brock Larson - Has only lost to Jon Fitch and Carlos Condit, but has really not beaten anyone excellent.

mkiv9secsupra
8/13/09 6:27:29PM
#1 Contender - Kampmann/Swick Winner

then

Jon Fitch vs Anthony Johnson winner vs the winner of Thiago Alves vs Dan Hardy to determine the next #1 contender
hippysmacker
8/13/09 7:36:30PM
I thnk Anthony Johnson and Dustin Hazelett will be in the mix soon. I would have Jhonson vs Hardy and Hazelett vs Fitch . The winners fight eachother, and the winner of that gets a title shot after he Kampmann /Swick winner does.
mk1630
8/13/09 7:42:01PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

#1 Contender - Kampmann/Swick Winner

then

Jon Fitch vs Anthony Johnson winner vs the winner of Thiago Alves vs Dan Hardy to determine the next #1 contender

They're looking at Fitch vs. Ricardo Almedia at 106. Interesting matchups though. I would love to see them.
GrandMaster313
8/13/09 7:53:51PM
Dan Hardy??//? with 1 or 2 more fights?
hippysmacker
8/13/09 8:08:51PM

Posted by GrandMaster313

Dan Hardy??//? with 1 or 2 more fights?

He already beat Marcus Davis. "if"( and its a big if )he also beat Johnson and the winner of Fitch /Hazelett( probably Fitch) I would think he's deserving.
Wolfenstein
8/13/09 8:21:18PM
I don't think there are any WW contenders left who can challenge GSP.

I view Mike Swick and Martin Kampman as a poor man's version of Jon Fitch, whom GSP easilly handled already.

In my opinion he has to go up to 185, much like Jake Shields has--to get some competetive matchups.

It's not even about the guys at MW being bigger, I just think stylistically there are more competetive matchups. I mean think about matchups with guys like Dan Henderson, Nate Marquardt, Yushin Okami etc. I would love to see those kind of matchups for GSP.
Mayhem13
8/13/09 8:30:35PM
What about Koscheck, I think a win over Trigg puts him close.

If Almeida beats Fitch I guess he would be close already...although it would only be 1 WW fight.

Fitch/Alves are both in the run still.

And Hardy/Johnson/Hazelett/Hyun are all a win or two away
hippysmacker
8/13/09 8:32:19PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I don't think there are any WW contenders left who can challenge GSP.

I view Mike Swick and Martin Kampman as a poor man's version of Jon Fitch, whom GSP easilly handled already.

In my opinion he has to go up to 185, much like Jake Shields has--to get some competetive matchups.

It's not even about the guys at MW being bigger, I just think stylistically there are more competetive matchups. I mean think about matchups with guys like Dan Henderson, Nate Marquardt, Yushin Okami etc. I would love to see those kind of matchups for GSP.

I actually agree with you, but I don't think thats his plan,as I think he will handle everyone I presented and the guys he already beat again if they get a rematch. He could get caught by anyone , and need to be win back the belt, but I jus don't think anyone is actually better than him at 170 right now, and don't see anyone currently in MMA at 170 getting better than him anytime soon.
prozacnation1978
8/13/09 9:35:33PM
the sinister 5 are

kammpman, swick , fitch, condit and either hardy or larson
SmileR
8/13/09 9:58:54PM
I don't understand why people are considering Hardy as a contender?
I don't mean to pull people opinions apart but I would like to hear the reasoning behind it.

I just have a hard time taking him seriously as anything other than a gatekeeper in the devision. His two most notable wins are razor sharp decisions over Davis and Gono (Both of which I think he lost). His lack of pretty much any solid ground game will always stop him getting past pretty much any top 10 WW so to put him up against GSP in my opinion would just be unfair.
Mayhem13
8/13/09 9:59:32PM
Not sure how everyone keeps thinking Condit is so close. Dude is 0-1 in the UFC right now.

I agree he will probably get there eventually, but he has some work to do first.

Fitch
Swick
Kampmann
Koscheck
Hardy
Hazelett
Brown
Larson
Hyun Kim
Johnson
Hughes
Riddle
Alves
Lytle
Hendricks
Howard

Are all ahead of him in my book
DevonFoxy
8/13/09 11:40:49PM
Koscheck is a someone who could def. threat GSP but GSP ican out wrestler him it seems so even if he does win the stand up which i still think he is behind GSP but def. has better power. I've been on the Koscheck wagon since TUF so I'm trying to be as unbaised as possible though he's easily one of my favorite fighters.

He's talked about moving to 155 and he can do that I have no doubt he would be the champion there though he is pretty good friends with Penn. I do feel he's a smaller 170 and he said he can make 155 and with all the wrestlers there he is imo a better wrestler than everyone there. He'd be a fairly large LW as well. The cut might effect him but hes a wrestler...I think he will be able to cut with out many complications.

Jake Shields, not in the UFC but his Jits is so slick that if it hit the ground as good as GSP is you can never count out him getting a submission. I think he is easily top 5 in the Welterweight division if he in fact stays at that weight. Downside being his stand up isn't anything to write home about and as I think GSP's stand up is just above average he's got the advantage on the feet and has the ability to keep it on the feet for 5 rounds easily . If he could stop Koscheck's shots he can do it to Shields.

Brock Larson great wrestler and really intense guy but I just can't see him taking GSP down. And while his stand up isn't horrible and he'll have the power advantage I clearly think GSP wins the stand up for 5 rounds and frustrates Larson. So with this being said.....

I can't see anyone beating GSP at this point he's justa guy who while some may feel his fights have been boring lately or so it seems, he's a guy who is a true mixed martial artist. My friends who know nothing about MMA were amazed at seeing GSP fight and even they could see how good this guy was. Just looking like a man fighting boys at UFC 100. I'm not a huge GSP fan not one of my favorite fighters by any means but he's the man at 170 and I just can't see anyone in the WW division beating him thats there right now.

Unless we take Thaigo Alves's kick's, Paul Daley's hands, Jon Fitch's Heart, Josh Koscheck's wrestling/punching power, and Jake Sheilds submissions to creat a super fighter.....I just don't see anyone with the complete package to be able to beat GSP except for that punchers chance.
SociopathX
8/14/09 8:29:58PM
I really wish they would test Larson instead of giving him cans every fight. This guy could very well be the next big contender at WW in the next year or so.
mshalosky
8/14/09 10:13:39PM
Phil Baroni
State_Champ
8/15/09 8:39:46AM
It doesn't matter about the next WW contenders because GSP will just take them down and beat them......
EvenFlow
8/15/09 9:12:43AM
Seeing fights with the likes of Hazelett, Condit, Larson, Johnson or Alves 2 down the road would be interesting. I'd like to see GSP work his way up to MW, assuming he dosnt lose the belt or dosnt defends a few more times before the move up. No doubt the talent pool is a little short for him at this point so hes gotta think about moving on. I think GSP is on the hunt to fight Silva, I dont see that going well for him but condemn me if I try to stop him.
jack
8/15/09 4:17:24PM
I don't see how Koscheck Hardy or Swick even made the list. Swick has become gun shy....who has Hardy beaten....and Kos would have been submitted in the second round if he wasn't hangin onto his shorts so that GSP couldn't pull of the kimura.
Give Conduit a few fights and maybe....I just dont think anyone in the ww division can hang with gsp....time for GSP to step up in weigh class and test the waters.
Wolfenstein
8/15/09 6:48:23PM

Posted by Mayhem13

Not sure how everyone keeps thinking Condit is so close. Dude is 0-1 in the UFC right now.

I agree he will probably get there eventually, but he has some work to do first.

Fitch
Swick
Kampmann
Koscheck
Hardy
Hazelett
Brown
Larson
Hyun Kim
Johnson
Hughes
Riddle
Alves
Lytle
Hendricks
Howard

I think people pick Condit because he has a solid guard--which is lacking amongst most WW's--and against GSP you'll need a good bottom game.

Some of the guys you listed above Condit just boggle my mind. I mean I don't think one loss to Kampman sets you back that far!

Matt Riddle is 3-0...ahead of a guy that's 23-5..and.has beaten Frank Trigg and Brock Larson (a guy you listed ahead of Condit), I mean he basically cleared out the WEC division, and forced the UFC to swallow up the 170lb division.

Hendrickis beat a 1-0 fighter, I don't care if Amir won the TUF show or not, it is what it is. Lytle has been dropping every other fight. Matt Brown really isn't even top 40 in my opinion...and I could just go on and on...
Sinister
8/20/09 12:15:38PM
The next guy is prob going to be a new persaon they sign. I still think UFC should try their hardest to sign Jake Sheilds.
Dan Hardy is starting to become the closest to title contention but that isnt saying much as Kapman/ Swick dont even seem like good matchups against GSP, and their ahead in line.

GSP has cleared the bigger names in his division and new signs like Frank Trigg dont make anything different as he already beat him (and that was a way way less developed GSP)

GSP is the next Hughes, hes going to break records while holding the title and the best scenario for him if he continues is to give him Silva. Weight difference or not, it would be a challenge and thats what the best and true fighters strive for.
Sinister
8/20/09 12:19:53PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Posted by Mayhem13

Fitch
Swick
Kampmann
Koscheck
Hardy
Hazelett
Brown
Larson
Hyun Kim
Johnson
Hughes
Riddle
Alves
Lytle
Hendricks
Howard

I think people pick Condit because he has a solid guard--which is lacking amongst most WW's--and against GSP you'll need a good bottom game.

Some of the guys you listed above Condit just boggle my mind. I mean I don't think one loss to Kampman sets you back that far!

Matt Riddle is 3-0...ahead of a guy that's 23-5..and.has beaten Frank Trigg and Brock Larson (a guy you listed ahead of Condit), I mean he basically cleared out the WEC division, and forced the UFC to swallow up the 170lb division.

Hendrickis beat a 1-0 fighter, I don't care if Amir won the TUF show or not, it is what it is. Lytle has been dropping every other fight. Matt Brown really isn't even top 40 in my opinion...and I could just go on and on...

A loss to Kapman seriously isnt something to be ashamed about. I think Kapman is going to beat Swick so to me, Condit lost his chance to the guy who got to fight GSP. Not bad for a first fight.
If you know anything about grappling, that fight was extremely technical and really made me respect Condits abilities. Their transitions were nonstop on the ground and Condit was always just one small step behind.
Give him time for him to start training hard for a year and he could possilbly start beating big names.
Rush
8/20/09 9:13:02PM
Neither Swick or Kampmann that is for sure
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
8/22/09 7:25:57PM
I 3rd the Brock larsen

Swick is getting his shot after he Ko's Kampmann
beyond that Hardy, Hazelett, anthoney johnson are all good, real good but I dont think these guys would get past the top 5 guys, not yet anyways but I think larsen could
I think larsen against fitch or alves or Koscheck puts those guys in a very serious situation they may not survive.

Larsen=experiance, awesome ground skills, great stand up, cradio, chin, it's all there and the UFC knows it
hotrodttt
10/7/09 11:36:20PM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Brock Larson great wrestler and really intense guy but I just can't see him taking GSP down. And while his stand up isn't horrible and he'll have the power advantage I clearly think GSP wins the stand up for 5 rounds and frustrates Larson. So with this being said.....

Just gotta clear some stuff up for you. Although Brock Larson's stand-up isn't like Koji Oishi it is still pretty bad and Gsp would maul him standing and definetly finish him. Look at what he did to Fitch who has 100x better stand-up than Larson.
NatedawgThaM
10/9/09 12:18:21PM
Kos-Fitch-Alves or Johnson are the only guys I see beating GSSP at 170. I always thought Diego could beat GSP too the same way I believe hes going to beat BJ, by staying in his face with his amazing cardio/chin and out working him since GSP thrives on pushing the pace, I think a guy like Diego who would press it on his could get him out of his rhythem.

But Alves & A.Johnson definitely have the power to put GSP to sleep. Their takedown defense is pretty good but it definitely will need to keep on getting better if they wanna stuff GSP long enough to catch him on the feet. But their stand up definitely is good enough to put him down so I definitely believe they got a chance. I just think in order for either of them to get a title shot, the road needs to go through BOTH Kos & Fitch whose wrestling is really damn good so if they could get practice from them and then train with some olympic caliber/Multiple time NCAA champion wrestler, I definitely believe they could be as ready as they can be for GSP and have the best chance at taking him out. They just need to let their hands go because they can't catch him if their not throwing because their too scared to get taken down. You need to take risks.

Kos & Fitch easily have the best chances though to dethrone GSP. Kos definitely I believe will be the man to dethrone GSP. He's a sick as athlete, just as sick as GSP and his wrestling is definitely as good and his striking is getting better and better. He has all the tools to beat GSP. GSP beat him last time based on experience. Kos was still young and GSP was already world class. I think this version of Kos minus the lost to Paulo in a fight which he was winning, definitely gives GSP hell. Fitch I want to be the man to take him out because he also has all the tools. He's already been 5 rounds with THE BEST GSP HAS EVER BEEN. I believe that was the greatest fight GSP ever fought. He just didn't LNP the whole time like against Alves/Penn, he showed a phenominal all around game and Fitch hung in their with him the whole time. This is another instance where Im gonna say it again, LET YOUR HANDS GO!!! GSP thrives on setting the pace. In the striking match if your looking to counter he's just going to take you down at will no matter what so theirs no point in even counter punching to be able to watching for a takedown too. In the 2nd round of the Fitch-GSP fight, Fitch at one point started letting his hands go and he started YES! WINNING the round!!!! But then GSP bounced back and stole the round back. But by letting his hands go he actually started connecting with GSP. That loss was just what Fitch needed who was undefeated in the UFC and it was a great learning experience. He's only gonna get better and better and as a sick work horse, I definitely believe he can do exactly what I think Diego could do and press the pace on GSP and take him out that way.

The key thing is too let your hands go and not let GSP set the pace because if you let him set the pace, your already screwed. I think Kos/Fitch/Alves/Johnson need to have a little Super 4 round robbin tournament like what Boxings doing with the Super six round robbin tournament with the super middleweights. I know Kos-Fitch wont fight each other but Kos & Fitch should fight both these guys as in vice versa also. I believe they have the best chance definitely. Hopefully they can pull it off.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
10/9/09 4:23:46PM
well there goes my Brock larsen thought after losing to Mike Pierce

How about John Hathaway or bringing in someone recognized but new to the UFC
Pages: [1] 2