The Contender

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The Contender
Mayo
9/6/07 12:41:29PM
Anybody watching the new season?
I can't believe they would drop two of the fighters based purely on the results of that sofware program!
It's good to see Sergio "the Latin Snake" make a cameo appearance... that guy rocks. Did you see that punch he did during sparring that made the other guy fly backwards!
And how the hell was that 198 pound fighter expecting to cut down to 168?!
Finally, is it really that easy to get a cut on your brow when you are all padded up using headgear during sparring?!
Anyway, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season!
grappler0000
9/6/07 12:44:13PM
That show is still on?
DCRage
9/6/07 1:44:00PM
ESPN just brought it back for a 3rd season, the decision wasn't made until something like last month. They're putting it on Tuesdays at 10 and hoping enough people will stick around after the WSOP Main Event to watch. I personally don't care for it, I'd rather watch the Rocky films.
Mayo
9/6/07 2:20:40PM
I like it mostly for the fact that there is not much to watch in between UFC ppv events... there's WEC, Tapout Show, Pride reruns, that crazy travel the world martial arts show, and then the Contender.
I think this season will be more exciting because it's the 168lb division this time so the fighters are bigger and we might see more KOs.
loonytnt
9/6/07 3:55:29PM
i cant watch boxing anymore, it just not fun to watch aymore, MMA is the main fighting thing a watch so im not watchin it
pv3Hpv3p
9/6/07 4:14:35PM
I caught some of the episode while I was falling asleep, I won't turn down any free combat sport... I didn't see the whole thing, but I hope they don't edit the fights like they did last time, well to be honest I hope they get rid of the cheesy sound effects and I hate that they mic up their wives / gf's, it was all I could here and drove me nuts... All in all not a bad show though
Violentcuv
9/6/07 4:23:28PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I caught some of the episode while I was falling asleep, I won't turn down any free combat sport... I didn't see the whole thing, but I hope they don't edit the fights like they did last time, well to be honest I hope they get rid of the cheesy sound effects and I hate that they mic up their wives / gf's, it was all I could here and drove me nuts... All in all not a bad show though

Thats exactly what I was going to say. They edit the fights so bad and slow and speed them up it's hard to tell who got the better of the fight. A lot of times in the past I would think one guy won hands down only to find out he lost almost every round.

All in all I like the show though. But instead of 50 minutes reality show and 10 minutes of boxing I wish it was more like 40/20 and show the entire fight with no effects.
NatedawgThaM
9/7/07 11:09:49AM
Im picking that dude who went toe to toe with Mora! Hes tough so you know his fights will be exciting!!!
Mayo
9/13/07 2:18:40PM
That second episode was great. It was amazing how codrington seemed to get wasted in the first half of the first round and also received a barage of punches throughout the entire fight. But he would throw a few strategic punches that did a lot of damage and made him win. Such skill!
Stickan
9/15/07 12:58:35PM

Posted by Mayo

That second episode was great. It was amazing how codrington seemed to get wasted in the first half of the first round and also received a barage of punches throughout the entire fight. But he would throw a few strategic punches that did a lot of damage and made him win. Such skill!

Editing. I don't think Vera landed any significant but they put in the freakin hiroshima bomb sound effect when he landed something. I hate that they edit fights and I can't stand to see the make-up-drowned wifes weep every single episode. The damn orchestra kills me as well. This isn't f-ing Free Willy 7, it's a god damn fight show.
Sam_Rothstein
9/17/07 4:55:14AM
jaidon codrington is probably the joe lauzon of the contender. His boxing skills are very good and he packs a lot of power

i remember he was even signed to former rocafella ceo's boxing team (Chin Checkers)

with that said his chin is veryyyyyy questionable, i remember his first step up in boxing to a semi big named fighter is when he fought allen green and was knocked out in 18 seconds!!!!

for anyone who wants to see it i'll provide you with a youtube link

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w0R1aQckPzI
Mayo
10/3/07 1:50:29AM
Just wanted to let you all know...

They are now broadcasting the fights "uncut"
(without the wives miked-up and no sound effects)

They show the uncut version directly after the show. You can look it up in your Tivo on ESPN as "The Contender Uncut".
pv3Hpv3p
10/3/07 11:20:29AM

Posted by Mayo

Just wanted to let you all know...

They are now broadcasting the fights "uncut"
(without the wives miked-up and no sound effects)

They show the uncut version directly after the show. You can look it up in your Tivo on ESPN as "The Contender Uncut".

Thank sweet baby jesus for that
hathcock32
10/4/07 4:31:09AM
Paul Smith will take it all.
NatedawgThaM
10/4/07 5:28:07AM
Tha last fight was freakin great!!! Reminded me of a 5 round verison of Gatti-ward...Freakin back and forth. That white dude should be down at Jr. or regular Middleweight...Then he would be mad good. Against anybody at his own weight or anybody else that night he would have beat em. But Beaka is a freakin beats though..He needs to be more technical. His punches are too wild...