Contacting members of other fight camps...

MMAPlayground.com » Community » Fight Camp Central » Contacting members of other fight camps...
Wolfenstein
1/20/09 9:28:54PM
It's probably the cause of more deaths to Fight Camp Central threads than any other variable, so I'm curious... what do members consider to be the proper etiquette in contacting for the purpose of recruitment?

dannyfrank
1/20/09 9:53:29PM
well, as most can tell, the 360 likes to use our camp thread to boast about how awesome we are, which gets the job done. also, i dont really see a problem with PMing people to ask them if they want to join. thats how i was recruited

as far as going into others forums and being like, "your camp sucks, join us instead" that is a no no.
aaa9erh8er
1/20/09 9:58:47PM
i dont think you should anyways im all for camp competiton but thats asking for trouble imo.our thread is pretty much us braaging showing we all know each other and whatnot.
but i was also recruted threw a PM and have done recruting threw them when someone new posts and i notice no camp if i think there post was worth a dam ill send em one
blakeon
1/20/09 10:09:39PM
i do mine just to get the info out that we need some members. then if someone envadeds i put them in there place!
Shawn91111
1/20/09 10:15:36PM
There should be no eittiquette. Its a persons choice if they want to remain or not. To say "hey dont contact a member of my team" is something I dont agree with.
Rollins
1/21/09 5:08:20AM
Well...that's all you've done of late. I'm sure you do believe in it. haha
emfleek
1/21/09 9:28:43AM
I think it's pretty lame...BUT...if you run a solid camp, you should never have to worry about your members leaving.

As a camp leader, I have a few guidelines that I follow...

1.) Never contact someone currently in a camp. If they're interested, they'll contact me. In other words...no stepping on toes.
2.) Use the 'Camp Recruitment' option. That's why it's there, afterall.
3.) Constantly update the team thread in the Fight Camp forum. This includes member additions/subtractions, roster openings, and any other pertinent news/information.
DCRage
1/21/09 10:20:59AM
My thoughts on the topic are this (Disclaimer: These are my thoughts only and don't necessarily reflect the higher-ups' stance):
The camp recruitment feature is good to use if you're interested in joining a camp, it lets people know you're out there. I used it when I first started here.

As for posting recruitment threads/updates/etc., I don't like people trying to post in other camp's threads here. Now if someone makes a "I'm looking for a camp to join" thread, recruit away there until he/she finds a camp. But if an established camp says they're recruiting, don't get in their way and post in their thread. If you're in a camp and recruiting and your camp already has a thread here, bump it up, don't worry about double-posting or being the only one posting in the thread. It's cool here.

I know it's a fine line to walk and people might not like it, but it's better than no forum at all if you ask me.
ncordless
1/21/09 1:51:00PM
I think it is fine to recruit free agents to your heart's content. I think it is fine to create a camp thread and keep it bumped.

When you start contacting people who are already on a team, I wonder what kind of real returns you are getting?
You are:
1) unlikely to sway anyone who is worth having in the camp
2) creating a bad name for your camp so that less will join in the future
3) creating a camp whose members are all people who change camps for little reason.

Shawn91111
1/21/09 3:14:58PM
Emfleek, it's easy for you to "not step on toes" because your camp is already full of elite members.

It's a situation of rich get richer.

A fairly new camp like mine can't attract ringers like your camp can, we have to WORK OUR BUTTS OFF for their attention.

If a ringer shows up on the camp recruitment list, he's not gonna go with a camp that is still growing, he's gonna go with the best of the best 100% of the time. So that list is useless for the average camp when it comes to getting real talent.

The only way a new camp can get that kind of talent is to find a ringer who is apart of another camp and unhappy, then persuade them to sign on.

Like Emfleek said, if your camp is good enough, you shouldn't need to worry about that guy leaving just because some other dude tried to recruit him. The only guys that will leave, are the ones that are unhappy. In which case it's win win. They get a camp that suits them better, and the camp gets a great new guy.

"Stepping on toes" is a necessary evil for camps who want to enter that top tier.
ncordless
1/21/09 4:20:19PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Emfleek, it's easy for you to "not step on toes" because your camp is already full of elite members.

A fairly new camp like mine can't attract ringers like your camp can, we have to WORK OUR BUTTS OFF for their attention.

If a ringer shows up on the camp recruitment list, he's not gonna go with a camp that is still growing, he's gonna go with the best of the best 100% of the time. So that list is useless for the average camp when it comes to getting real talent.

The only way a new camp can get that kind of talent is to find a ringer who is apart of another camp and unhappy, then persuade them to sign on.

Like Emfleek said, if your camp is good enough, you shouldn't need to worry about that guy leaving just because some other dude tried to recruit him. The only guys that will leave, are the ones that are unhappy. In which case it's win win. They get a camp that suits them better, and the camp gets a great new guy.

"Stepping on toes" is a necessary evil for camps who want to enter that top tier.

Those are some valid points. New teams do have it tough at first. I would suggest though that acquiring new members by nefarious means will only lead to long term problems in the camp's loyalty.
dannyfrank
1/21/09 4:29:52PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by Shawn91111

Those are some valid points. New teams do have it tough at first. I would suggest though that acquiring new members by nefarious means will only lead to long term problems in the camp's loyalty.

thats not usually the case that ive seen. both mungooch and i were in dark horse and didnt really like it, so kracker_jap invited us to the 360. now we're in a camp that suits us a lot more and we both like it a lot.
emfleek
1/21/09 4:51:03PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Those members were recruited using the Camp Recruitment option, or they were former members of Team Sure Shot. Or they contacted me wanting to join. I didn't step on anything to get them on my team.

Posted by Shawn91111

It's not that hard if you worry less about numbers and more about quality.

Posted by Shawn91111

Again, I disagree. No toes have been stepped on to get my team to where it is now.

PS...Thank you for the "elite members" comment.
Wolfenstein
1/22/09 2:33:23AM
I've never run a camp, but if I had (and probably will eventully, but Nuthuggers Suck is the best and I'm not going anywhere anytime soon), I would have no qualms about contacting some guys from other camps, just with a, "Hey noticed you in the forums, think you'd be a good fit for X camp, if you're ever looking for something new... To me that's just networking in my opinion. I would just refrain from coming off as pushy, because you're not trying to steal guys, you're just letting them know there's a door open.

Listing what your camp is about at Fight Camp Central also seems to be a pretty effective means of recruiting good guys. I think a combination of the two though would be important. Just letting a member know that they're "wanted" at a camp is at the very least flattering. If you don't speak up you won't get the particular individuals you would want in a camp.

Anyways, you guys at Dark Horse are doing pretty well either way, Solidus is the man, and looks like there's a lot of other top guys around the forums I've seen around--keep up the good work.

moob
1/22/09 4:22:55PM
AFAIK that's what this forum is all about - promoting your camp, and if someone is interested, whether they be in another camp or not, they will join.

Totally disagree with PMing others in existing camps.
bobbydoomocculta
2/18/09 8:09:38AM
I can answer this short and sweet with my superior moral standard...

If you pm someone who's in a camp because you want there record, you are a turd...
If you pm someone who's in another camp because you've bumped into them in the forums and got along or think they'd fit in well with your camp, then there's nothing wrong with that...

know that...
DCRage
2/18/09 8:49:32AM
And if you recruit in 99.99% of posts you make on the forums, you need a new occupation.
emfleek
2/18/09 9:09:33AM

Posted by DCRage

And if you recruit in 99.99% of posts you make on the forums, you need a new occupation.

Amen.
bobbydoomocculta
2/18/09 9:57:16PM
99.99% of my posts are recruitment...
ncordless
2/19/09 12:10:32AM

Posted by bobbydoomocculta

99.99% of my posts are recruitment...

... hence the need for a new occupation. I'd say with your superior morals and dedication to recruitment you might make an excellent missionary. I hear there is a severe lack of occult missionaries, so you could probably find work fairly quickly.

For more information contact the Occult Missionary Foundation at 1-900-Devil-4-U or contact Robert (shown below) via ouija board.

(Sorry but this thread was almost there anyway)
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
DCRage
2/19/09 9:04:20AM
bobbydoomocculta, it's not very smart to report a post then go and retaliate by posting worse. It was clearly meant as a joke (and a good one too), even I got it. Either way, you've made your last recruiting post for some time.

As for everyone else, let's try to get rid of the negative vibes that seem to be resonating through this thread, namely in the last few posts. I know no real harm was intended, but it's too easy for it to be taken the wrong way, so let's all be a little more careful in the future.
ncordless
2/19/09 10:09:17PM
The above post was made in humor. I wanted to make light of the silly direction this thread had taken. I did not imagine someone would take offense to it, and will leave it unedited so that those offended can read it again and hopefully realize that I was doing nothing except making light of the conversation.
I should have given the post one of these and maybe one of these to more adequately convey my sarcasm.
The above post is neither an endorsement or condemnation of either occultist or missionary activites. To my knowledge, no organization known as the Occult Missionary Foundation exists. If it does exist then I apologize for advertising them. I have never called 1-900-Devil-4-U, but if someone does and finds that it is a valid number, please report it here or PM me because I would find that hillarious.
Rollins
2/20/09 1:39:32PM

Posted by DCRage

bobbydoomocculta, it's not very smart to report a post then go and retaliate by posting worse. It was clearly meant as a joke (and a good one too)****,-----> even I got it.<-------**** Either way, you've made your last recruiting post for some time.

As for everyone else, let's try to get rid of the negative vibes that seem to be resonating through this thread, namely in the last few posts. I know no real harm was intended, but it's too easy for it to be taken the wrong way, so let's all be a little more careful in the future.

That must have been one hell of a joke!!

See, good clean fun. Really, where would we be without some good ol' fashion tomfoolery?
wrestler189
2/20/09 2:44:09PM

Posted by Shawn91111

It is not about "attracting ringers"

Your camp should make people better, not only look to get people who are already good.

In the War Room Warriors, we are very strict with recruitment and accept very few new additions. We teach each other how to make the best choices. Everybody helps everyone and that way we get better and better.

This is in no way bashing your camp or anyone elses. I just want to point out that the way to have the best team is to cultivate the best team ,not cherry pick the top players
BaDaBinG80
2/21/09 6:15:03PM

Posted by ncordless

The above post was made in humor. I wanted to make light of the silly direction this thread had taken. I did not imagine someone would take offense to it, and will leave it unedited so that those offended can read it again and hopefully realize that I was doing nothing except making light of the conversation.
I should have given the post one of these and maybe one of these to more adequately convey my sarcasm.
The above post is neither an endorsement or condemnation of either occultist or missionary activites. To my knowledge, no organization known as the Occult Missionary Foundation exists. If it does exist then I apologize for advertising them. I have never called 1-900-Devil-4-U, but if someone does and finds that it is a valid number, please report it here or PM me because I would find that hillarious.

or you could just stop with the jokes because you suck at them