UFC Is Considering A Smaller Octagon

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Is Considering A Smaller Octagon
« Previous Page
Sinister
10/8/09 6:05:43PM

Posted by CwB

Posted by seanfu

It biases the cage EVEN MORE than it currently is toward wrestlers.

Smaller cage equals good thing for wrestlers...

sidenote
thank you rush and cowcatcher for a great debate which brought up numerous points for both causes

Yea, a bigger cage is kindof a compromise between striker and wrestler. It should stay that way if Dana still wants exciting stand up fights.
cowcatcher
10/8/09 6:24:15PM
the plus of the smaller cage is that fighters are forced to engage more though, so its kind of a give and take, but i agree that wrestlers are favored if this happens.
mrsmiley
10/8/09 6:41:57PM
I pretty sure their only doing this to give the other LHW's a fair shot against Machida
bjj1605
10/8/09 7:42:02PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by bjj1605

It all comes down to greed, more seats and more money.

Less octagon floor space means less/smaller advertising.

That is why I don't think it's a matter of money and space. I really think they genuinely hope that it will improve the sport (we'll let's say improve the entertainment factor for most of the fans). I'm just not convinced it will have the impact they think it will. I also think it would cause as many problems as it would solve.

But realistically there is already more than enough advertising space. See all those blank spots on the octagon floor? That means that they've got space to work with.

I'm not saying that is the only consideration but more seats closer to the cage (therefore more expensive) would mean higher revenue. One fan in the nose bleeds might not matter to them, but each one cage side does.

I also think they are trying to force fighters to push the action. IMO a better way to do this is yellow cards.

Smaller cages absolutely favor wrestlers just as cages in general help wrestlers more than rings. A larger cage is a good compromise and IMO the best option.

PS. what works for the WEC won't for the UFC. The WEC is a smaller promotion with smaller fighters.

AND AGAIN!!! THIS WILL TOTALLY SCREW WITH FIGHTERS LIKE MACHIDA AND ANDERSON!!!!!!!!!!
NatedawgThaM
10/8/09 9:33:07PM
Well Machida's getting screwed out of this one. Less room to move around. And that's his whole thing, his defense isn't even that technically great. His chins always up and his hands are always low. It's just his feet are what make him so damn elusive and so unhittable. Less space to move means less space to have to chase him down and people can throw more flurrys at him and pray one connects. And Its crappy for counter punchers who like the room.

Bad for a true fight fan that enjoys all aspect of the sport since it COULD limit people
grappler0000
10/8/09 9:59:39PM
Does anyone even know how much space they are contemplating cutting? I'm hearing a lot of hate, but I don't even see any numbers thrown around in the article. If it were a foot or two, I wouldn't mind...in fact, I doubt we'd even notice while watching. I remember reading somewhere that they actually have a smaller Octagon for the real small venues, like Fight Nights and the Fights for the Troops. If that's the case, then apparently it's not a big deal after all. The UFC's cage is probably about the biggest fighting space in MMA, so a small cut probably wouldn't be bad. If they were talking about 5 feet in diameter or more, then I would definitely have a concern.

Several people are talking about how greedy the UFC is for doing this. I highly doubt seating is the motivation for this for several reasons. (1) they would've done it years ago if they wanted more expensive seat available. (2) Seeing how the gate is a mere fraction of the profit earned from PPV sales, I think they could come up with something more creative than that. (3) It's Joe Silva's idea...and his job isn't too squeeze more fans on the floor, it's to put together exciting fights. And shrinking the cage would assist in doing just that.

I disagree with the statement that the cage favors wrestlers. But before anyone disagrees, let me explain what I mean. I'm only saying this as a matter of perspective. The common perception is that rings favor strikers and cages favor wrestlers. You can only make the cage argument when comparing it to a ring. The problem is that the ring is flawed for MMA...in soooo many ways. The cage is the far better fighting environment when it comes to mixed martial arts. I do realize that some people prefer watching fights in a ring, but from a functional standpoint, the cage is really the best answer. So, yes, a wrestler will probably have better success with TD's in a cage, but it's merely because a cage provides a stable enclosure, as opposed to a lumberjack match. My point is, the ring should be compared to the cage, not vice versa.
Rush
10/8/09 10:18:05PM

Posted by bjj1605

But realistically there is already more than enough advertising space. See all those blank spots on the octagon floor? That means that they've got space to work with.

I don't know about that. There are usually 8 logos on the outside of inner octagon (one on each side) and one big logo in the middle. If they are too small, they can't be seen well from all parts of the venue. If they are too close together the logos are too busy and don't stand out from the others. I guess they could reduce the size of the centre logo.

The main point I was making was that for every bit of space one takes from the octagon to add one row of seats, you have to cut something elsewhere. As it was mentioned above, PPV sales are what bring in the money, thus making the sponsorships and advertising more valuable than a few premium seats up front.

If there is one single thing they could do to better the sport is to lobby the athletic commissions to change the judging.
sbulldavid
10/8/09 11:12:21PM
I love the Idea ! I'm tired of watching fighters run around . That is not a real fighting environment , or a level playing field . I don't think it's all about Machida , I think it's more about the lackluster Anderson Silva fights and fighters dancing circles around Chuck . A smaller cage forces fighters to engage more often . Often a fighter is dominated for two rounds and can only win by knockout or submission , a slower fighter might not get a chance to use his strengths . If everybody countered their way to victory we would end up with boxing . Now we can't get The best fighters to fight each other(Machida/Silva). Sounds familiar.
sbulldavid
10/8/09 11:18:14PM
I seen this posted on that other page and I thought it was intersting.

"What do you guy think about that cage where the floor slopes up slightly a couple of feet from the wall. I thought it was an interesting idea cause it means if you push a guy against the fence standing, you give him higher ground. and it makes it harder for GnP fighters to push the bottom guy up the hill to the cage, which gives more opportunities for reverses and escapes. I thought it was kinda clever".
grappler0000
10/8/09 11:42:22PM

Posted by sbulldavid

"What do you guy think about that cage where the floor slopes up slightly a couple of feet from the wall. I thought it was an interesting idea cause it means if you push a guy against the fence standing, you give him higher ground. and it makes it harder for GnP fighters to push the bottom guy up the hill to the cage, which gives more opportunities for reverses and escapes. I thought it was kinda clever".

I'm assuming you didn't watch Yamma?
MMA-San
10/9/09 12:13:37AM
disagree, I like the current size...makes the promotion look "Grand"
emfleek
10/9/09 9:26:19AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by sbulldavid

I'm assuming you didn't watch Yamma?

Exactly. Major fail.
scpd400
10/9/09 9:33:39AM
Smaller cgae just means Kalib would have to run faster
emfleek
10/9/09 9:36:34AM
It was bound to happen...

Pages: 1 [2]