Do you consider mark hunt to be a top "MMA" fighter?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Do you consider mark hunt to be a top "MMA" fighter?
POLL: Where do you consider mark hunt to rank?
top 5 7% (3)
top 10 10% (4)
top 15 46% (19)
top 20 24% (10)
below top 20 12% (5)
Aaronno9
3/8/08 7:44:49PM
I was just looking at an old debate about when fedors last win was against top compition, and it seems pretty divided as to wether people consider mark hunt a top fighter or not. He has fought some solid competition since starting fighting in mma, and his amazing chin and power combined with good striking have carried him well. However, he only has a 5-3 record, which could (and should imo) of been 3-5 if he hadnt got the nod in his split decision wins over mirko and wandy.

So what do you guys think? top 15 or not

For the record, i think hes top 20, somtimes top 15 depending on how similar ranked fighters are doing.
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/8/08 8:38:27PM
i got him pretty high, im a fan though. but not a nuthugger, just think he could could beat lots of top HW
Rush
3/8/08 8:46:49PM
I can't really consider a guy with a 5-3 record top 15. Maybe he's around 20.

Honestly, I have only seen a couple fights with Hunt and despite winning both, I thought the only thing that really saved him was his hard head.

It's a tough call because his losses are to big names, and his big name wins are SD. I think I need to see more of him to decide.

He's a tough guy nonetheless.
Pookie
3/8/08 9:34:04PM
I personally feel he won against both wandy and Mirko.

But with the way the heavyweight division is, combined with the weaknesses of the later half of the top ten i think mark hunt is definitely top ten.

I feel that he would beat gonzaga, arlovski, werdum, cro-cop, vera, Kongo, and herring.

His losses are in his first match(forgivable IMO) and to barnett + fedor.

mrliquid
3/8/08 11:07:46PM
I dunno maybe top 20 I mean his record isn't horrible I think overall it's 22-8 but I wasn't impressed over his decisions wins over Mirko and Wandy I think he has to straight out win against some top competition before he can even be ranked top 15 but definately a tough s.o.b no question there.
NatedawgThaM
3/8/08 11:26:24PM
I have to say top 15 because he's fought and loss/beat some of the world's best HW's. The HW division is the weakest division IMO since nobody really sticks out besides Fedor/Randy/Big Nog because everybody else has one clear weakness that can be exploited so you can rank anybody basically anywhere and have it justifiable.

Anything's possible in MMA.
Mastodon2
3/9/08 8:02:12AM
His achievements in K-1 are more impressive than his MMA ones, K-1 Oceana and K-1 World GP Wins are not to be sniffed at. However, I think he still did well in MMA, practically admitting that he never trained for groundwork, he did quite well all things considered.
fullerene
3/9/08 9:35:46AM
He was a guy who had a lot of talent and potential--a top 10 guy in that regard. But the combination of Pride throwing him against top comp right from the start and his questionable cross- training and conditioning left him falling short in the department of actual match outcomes.

Still, he beat Wandy when Wand was the #1 LHW and CroCop when CroCop was probably the #3 HW. That puts him at least in the top 20 and I can't argue (although I disagree) with people who bump him to top 10 based on that. I would have had him around #12 when he fought Fedor.
cmill21
3/9/08 1:44:41PM
I dunno there are so many people willing to put GG and Kongo in the top 10 when they beat Cro Cop but Hunt acctually has a win over Cro Cop and over Wand and some people rank him differently? lol
warglory
3/9/08 2:21:36PM
Hunt could easily be the UFC champion if he could make weight. He is super talented for his size, has immense power, and his head makes Cabbage's seem like a block of soft butter. As has already been said, Hunt hasn't trained very much on the ground, yet he almost submitted Fedor, and when I say almost I mean that there were probably some Fedor fans breaking into a cold sweat.

If Hunt busted his ass and really pushed himself into the MMA arena and not just kickboxing, he would rule.
ncordless
3/9/08 4:16:04PM
He's in the mix if it's just for his potential. He was the Lesnar of '04. Lotta hype from K1 fans at the time. His lack of devotion to the ground will always limit him, and I wouldn't be suprised if we never saw him fight MMA again.

Could he beat alot of the top ten HWs? Probably.

Will he? Probably not.

Hmmm, now I wanna see the battle of the potentials... Hunt v. Lesnar!!!!!
hippysmacker
3/9/08 6:05:48PM

Posted by fullerene

He was a guy who had a lot of talent and potential--a top 10 guy in that regard. But the combination of Pride throwing him against top comp right from the start and his questionable cross- training and conditioning left him falling short in the department of actual match outcomes.

Still, he beat Wandy when Wand was the #1 LHW and CroCop when CroCop was probably the #3 HW. That puts him at least in the top 20 and I can't argue (although I disagree) with people who bump him to top 10 based on that. I would have had him around #12 when he fought Fedor.

Couldn't have said it better myself Unfortunately gotta spread the love
Mastodon2
3/9/08 7:13:50PM

Posted by ncordless

He's in the mix if it's just for his potential. He was the Lesnar of '04. Lotta hype from K1 fans at the time. His lack of devotion to the ground will always limit him, and I wouldn't be suprised if we never saw him fight MMA again.

Could he beat alot of the top ten HWs? Probably.

Will he? Probably not.

Hmmm, now I wanna see the battle of the potentials... Hunt v. Lesnar!!!!!

To compare Hunt to Lesnar is unfair on Hunt. Lesnar has yet to beat anyone worth beating, Hunt Beat Cro Cop and Wanderlei. Hunt, while never a super achiever, has had notable wins in MMA, Lesnar though, has not.

disorderlyvision
3/9/08 7:30:55PM
I think he would atleast have to be top 15. i dont think heavyweight is a very stacked division. i cant think of 15 people who could beat him. if he were in the ufc he would definatly be a contender for the belt