Did the UFC consider a female division at one point?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Did the UFC consider a female division at one point?
mrsmiley
1/9/08 12:43:57PM
While playing UFC SUDDEN IMPACT 2 on Playstation 2,I was almost startled to discover you could actualy play as Erica Montoya in the light weight division.
While she never fought in the UFC,it does seem some what amazing that she made it into a "Zuffa" based UFC game.
Within minutes The computer had me,Playing as Andre Arloski,kicking in the brains of Erica Montoya,within the confines of the octagon.It was a truly distrurbing sight.I like womens MMA,but I just found it funny that she was included in the game,seeing as Zuffa doesn't seem to be getting into womens MMA anytime soon.

I attached 2 images,but they are of poor quality because i took them off of my TV with a digital camera.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
TimW001
1/9/08 12:46:13PM
I think it's come up in their meetings more than once. Dana said that the world just isn't ready for women MMA. I like that it's around but to have a full 5 weight classes just for women in a major org like the UFC, it just wouldn't be that cool. Because it would be hard to have each weightclass stacked.
Pitbull09
1/9/08 5:28:03PM
lol funny, Maybe they dont like her so much that they wanted players to be able to beat the crap out of her

I have one picture for you guys to ponder on if UFC has a womens divisions. Bemin's avatar lol.

But seriously, I dont think the womens division is big enough to be in the UFC if the 145 lbs division is even in there. Be boxing promotions never had women divisions. If they do something like it, it would be they the WNBA where it is completely separate from the UFC.
tuvok500
1/9/08 7:57:29PM
I think the WEC should take a chance and try to build a real top woman division.

it would be interesting to see some of the best womans competing in the same organization.

AS for the UFC, i think it will depend on the futur success of my previous idea !

telnights
1/9/08 8:18:16PM

Posted by tuvok500

I think the WEC should take a chance and try to build a real top woman division.

it would be interesting to see some of the best womans competing in the same organization.

AS for the UFC, i think it will depend on the futur success of my previous idea !

I think the WEC would be a great launching point for it.

Dana is also a big road block. He is not big on females in MMA. He has said in many interviews that he just doesn't see the UFC doing female MMA anytime soon and he doesn't like the thought of females in the UFC.
mrsmiley
1/9/08 8:25:03PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by tuvok500

I think the WEC would be a great launching point for it.

Dana is also a big road block. He is not big on females in MMA. He has said in many interviews that he just doesn't see the UFC doing female MMA anytime soon and he doesn't like the thought of females in the UFC.

Can't say I blame him.Take fighters who are angry about contracts,opponents,etc,and now put them on the rag.If Dana had hair that would cause him to pull it out.
Rush
1/10/08 3:51:25PM
Considering the negative feedback some people give on men fighting in MMA, do any of you honestly think it will help the UFC to introduce women into the mix? At least at this point?

Honestly, I am not into females fighting. I saw one female fight. I think it was a Gina Carano fight. I just didn't care for it.

It reminded me a lot of female football/soccer or female hockey in the Olympics. Basically the same, only slower, less intense, etc. I was underwhelmed by the technique I saw as well. I thought it (the technique) paled in comparison to female wrestling/judo.

I don't think it's worth the controversy, especially at this point.
Rush
1/10/08 3:53:19PM

Posted by Pitbull09

lol funny, Maybe they dont like her so much that they wanted players to be able to beat the crap out of her

My hunch is that it was an Easter egg in the game.

Besides since when is beating up a female in a video game anything new? Doesn't anyone remember Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat (and later versions)?
mrsmiley
1/10/08 4:04:36PM
yeah but Sonya Blade had the Kiss of death,and Chun Li had those fast legs.they would own any real life dude in MMA.Or at least Big Timmy.
Rush
1/10/08 4:37:52PM

Posted by mrsmiley

yeah but Sonya Blade had the Kiss of death,and Chun Li had those fast legs.they would own any real life dude in MMA.Or at least Big Timmy.

Are we actually considering Big Tim a legit MMA fighter?
mrsmiley
1/10/08 4:46:41PM

Good point.
vick_vega
1/10/08 11:08:26PM
Female fighting, who the hell wants that. And if you do, what does it say about you. I am not making a judgement, I am just saying, I rather watch a fight, then do my thing with my girlfriend. I dont know why anybody would wanna see girls fight. Others sports are different. This is a different kind of sport. Can't we keep some feminism around. Let's let girls be girls. That's why we love them.
Pookie
1/10/08 11:38:27PM
its funny the game says that 5'5" 120 lbs erica montoya has more strength than tim sylvia
telnights
1/10/08 11:44:34PM
I think the other problem right now is Dana thinks the UFC is to MMA what the NFL is to football. Now agree or disagree to this doesn't matter. The point is he thinks that the avg person that watches the UFC isn't ready to see the cute blond girl get beat up live on TV.
Rush
1/11/08 9:22:21AM

Posted by Pookie

its funny the game says that 5'5" 120 lbs erica montoya has more strength than tim sylvia

I think ST is stamina
TNunley
1/11/08 9:35:10AM

Posted by Rush

Considering the negative feedback some people give on men fighting in MMA, do any of you honestly think it will help the UFC to introduce women into the mix? At least at this point?

Honestly, I am not into females fighting. I saw one female fight. I think it was a Gina Carano fight. I just didn't care for it.

It reminded me a lot of female football/soccer or female hockey in the Olympics. Basically the same, only slower, less intense, etc. I was underwhelmed by the technique I saw as well. I thought it (the technique) paled in comparison to female wrestling/judo.

I don't think it's worth the controversy, especially at this point.

I agree 100%. To ME it seems far more spectacle than sport. I have watched one women's MMA fight, and I too was very underwhelmed. No disrespect to any of the women fighters, but I just did not find it entertaining, and would never pay for a PPV with women fighting. In all honesty, and again no disrespect to them, it seemed like an amateur fight. That's not bashing... Arms flailing, and submission attempts that no top level fighter would ever be submitted with.

To each their own, but I definitely don't see myself getting into this. I think there are many who feel the same way.
FlyHigh
1/11/08 5:53:41PM
WHO WOULDNT RATHER WATCH GIRLS ROLL AROUND THAN DUDES, I THINK SOME OF YOU DONT LIKE WOMEN IF YOU DONT WANT THEM DOING MMA... STEROTYPICAL PEOPLE SAYING WOMEN SHOULD DO YOUR LAUNDRY OR WHATEVER WHEN MOST OF THOSE MMA WOMEN COULD WHOOP ON YOU THEN TEAR YOUR ARM OFF, HAHAHA WOMEN HAVE BORING FIGHTS?? YOU MEAN CATFIGHTS? THIS IS MMA LIKE IT OR F#@& Off