Congrats to Amir, but what the hell was CB doing?!?!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » Congrats to Amir, but what the hell was CB doing?!?!
npayant
6/22/08 1:30:37AM

Let me first say I'm glad Amir won ( I was rooting for him even though I picked CB). But really, what was CB thinking?! He was dominating the fight - great takedown, was in half guard and side control at one point and doing some pretty good gnp. BUT he kept standing, leaving his arms dangling???? I thought for sure he'd learn his lesson from their first fight, but I guess not. I kept asking myself, "why does he keep standing like that? He's gonna get submitted." and sure enough he did!

I honestly think CB is a better all around fighter, but he's stupid to keep getting caught!! Does the UFC give this guy yet another rematch against Amir?? He'd probably get submitted again...

What do you guys think?

BTW, I don't want to discuss whether or not it was a tap here (there's another thread for that)
Raykill
6/22/08 1:36:18AM
I am a big fan of the fighters with a wrestling background. I do think CB is a better fighter than he has shown us.
I think the hang up is he thinks he’s better than Amir and that he should be able to beat him and he keeps lying to himself about the first fight. Like maybe he thinks it was a fluke and didn’t take Amir seriously again.
I don’t know. I am probably looking too deep into it. But I have seen people with that type of attitude before.
If he can control himself more and reel back that ego he will go far in this sport.
npayant
6/22/08 1:41:11AM

Posted by Raykill

I am a big fan of the fighters with a wrestling background. I do think CB is a better fighter than he has shown us.
I think the hang up is he thinks he’s better than Amir and that he should be able to beat him and he keeps lying to himself about the first fight. Like maybe he thinks it was a fluke and didn’t take Amir seriously again.
I don’t know. I am probably looking too deep into it. But I have seen people with that type of attitude before.
If he can control himself more and reel back that ego he will go far in this sport.

No, you're probably right. Once again, it looked like he wasn't too worried about Amir's submission game... well someone needs to let him know HE SHOULD BE!
Cdellorso
6/22/08 3:09:15AM
Again- Amir is a lion- with some self confidence a better takedown defense... watchout- however why take a guy down if you are going to leave the arms or legs to get subbed- im sure that we will hear that cb says CB did not submit and CB knows when CB is ready to tap and CB was not tapping... LOL-
Twenty20Dollars
6/22/08 3:15:08AM
Amir has a very very good guard. Ok if you look at the CB vs Amir first fight on TUF, CB only tapped amir's leg once and was upset about that. and cb tapped amir's arm once at the finale and he gets pissed about that.

i mean come on CB, you cant say that you didnt tap, the camera doesnt lie.
Gannon
6/22/08 3:34:53AM
I was also thinking CB would be taking this fight., but Amir does it again. In my eyes Amir is a natural. This is something you see in very few fighters. The funny thing is Amir might had been the fighter voted to loose first at the start of the show.

Lets face it, Amir had hardly any experience coming into the Ultimate fighter, yet He beat three guys on paper that where much better. This is definatlely a guy that could turn into the next Kenny Florian.

Great Fight night. Great feel good story. -
telnights
6/22/08 3:58:32AM
I don't know how anyone can call CB a better fighter than Amir when CB has lost not once but twice now to Amir. Come on guys give Amir some credit here. He was better than CB on the sub game and standing. I don't know how any of you can call CB the better fighter after 2 losses.
bullettdodger
6/22/08 5:22:35AM

Posted by telnights

I don't know how anyone can call CB a better fighter than Amir when CB has lost not once but twice now to Amir. Come on guys give Amir some credit here. He was better than CB on the sub game and standing. I don't know how any of you can call CB the better fighter after 2 losses.

Amir FTW
Pookie
6/22/08 6:50:26AM
Im not sure what the **** was going on with spike but when we were watching it, right when the commercials ended it cut to Amir's hand getting raised. lol, what round did it end btw?
npayant
6/22/08 9:58:18AM

Posted by telnights

Believe me, I see your point. I think Amir is a great fighter and will be REAL good down the road given time... BUT if CB doesn't get caught stupidly in those submissions, he goes on to win the first fight and for sure the 1st rd. of the 2nd bout, as well as the fight in all likeliness IMO. But if Amir catching CB in those subs makes him the better all around fighter, than by all means, I will call him that.

juanez13
6/22/08 10:01:23AM

Posted by Pookie

Im not sure what the **** was going on with spike but when we were watching it, right when the commercials ended it cut to Amir's hand getting raised. lol, what round did it end btw?

1st round, about 2 minutes into the bout.
nickcuc547
6/22/08 10:09:54AM
amir is just a winner, the guy has what it takes to be a star in this sport, talent, toughness and heart. with that said he is a long way away from being in the upper echelon, even at 185, i think he will be there in time but i hope the ufc brings him along slowly. i hope he doesn't get thrown into a big fight really quickly like the guy from tuf 5, those guys proved they were ready and maybe amir will prove me wrong.... again.
dannyfrank
6/22/08 10:18:24AM

Posted by telnights

some people are probably saying that because CB has better technique than amir, but that isn't what makes someone a better fighter. amir is much more calm, fights smart, and has an awesome chin. thats what makes him a better fighter. i dont mean to sound cliche, but in the end its really not about how hard you can hit, but about how hard you can get hit without giving up
jimmypockets
6/22/08 11:28:29AM
CB proved he is young weakminded man. The fact that he lost via armbar again shows me that CB is a customer of his own hype. He is an all-american wrestler which in my opinion gives you a complete foundation for mma. CB seems to be his own biggest fan and therefore I think mentally he doesn't prepare properly and I am sure that translates into his training and the eventual fight. I just think that CB is a fighter that has been told by everyone that he is the greatest up and coming fighter and therefore he feels that he doesn't need to push himself anymore. In his eyes (before last night) I think CB already thought he was a world champion. He was just waiting for someone to hand it to him.

The way he got up after the world saw him tap and acted like he didn't just shows how immature and unprepared he actually was.
npayant
6/22/08 11:48:28AM

Posted by jimmypockets

CB proved he is young weakminded man. The fact that he lost via armbar again shows me that CB is a customer of his own hype. He is an all-american wrestler which in my opinion gives you a complete foundation for mma. CB seems to be his own biggest fan and therefore I think mentally he doesn't prepare properly and I am sure that translates into his training and the eventual fight. I just think that CB is a fighter that has been told by everyone that he is the greatest up and coming fighter and therefore he feels that he doesn't need to push himself anymore. In his eyes (before last night) I think CB already thought he was a world champion. He was just waiting for someone to hand it to him.

The way he got up after the world saw him tap and acted like he didn't just shows how immature and unprepared he actually was.

This I agree with... it was like he wasn't giving Amir the time of day as a fighter even though he had already beat him once.
Mchubb316
6/22/08 12:11:52PM

Posted by dannyfrank

Posted by telnights

some people are probably saying that because CB has better technique than amir, but that isn't what makes someone a better fighter. amir is much more calm, fights smart, and has an awesome chin. thats what makes him a better fighter. i dont mean to sound cliche, but in the end its really not about how hard you can hit, but about how hard you can get hit without giving up

People who say CB has better technique that Amir, must not have seen either fights. If he did have better technique he would not have been caught with two armbars. CB is sloppy in his GnP leaving him open to several submissions. Amir caught him twice. Amir gets all the credit from me. He had a tough road to get to the finals, and never once showed a sign of weakness. He is what makes MMA fun to watch.
bullettdodger
6/22/08 1:41:36PM
yeah that was deffinitly one of the things that screwed CB but i mean.... we can't blame the "Doberman" LOL what a stupid nickname
telnights
6/22/08 3:56:12PM

Posted by npayant

Posted by telnights

Believe me, I see your point. I think Amir is a great fighter and will be REAL good down the road given time... BUT if CB doesn't get caught stupidly in those submissions, he goes on to win the first fight and for sure the 1st rd. of the 2nd bout, as well as the fight in all likeliness IMO. But if Amir catching CB in those subs makes him the better all around fighter, than by all means, I will call him that.

Dont take this the wrong way but that's the point of a good sub game. Is being able to catch the other fighter in a sub when he least expects it and to say CB would have won is like saying Randleman would have beat Fedor if he didn't stupidly get caught in that Kimura. You could also say the same thing for a lot of Nogs fights. That also holds true for almost any BJJ or Sambo Black belts. Its almost like you have no respect for the submission game (I may be wrong but just seams that way to me). But we can break down each fighter and see.

Amir
Sub game
Stand up
Chin (can't be taught)
Heart (can't be taught)

CB
Wrestling
Experience

When we break it down you can see Amir is the all around better fighter. What lot of people don't know is Amir is a Sambo black belt which doesn't get near the respect BJJ does.
npayant
6/22/08 4:13:08PM

Posted by telnights

Amir
Sub game
Stand up
Chin (can't be taught)
Heart (can't be taught)

CB
Wrestling
Experience

When we break it down you can see Amir is the all around better fighter. What lot of people don't know is Amir is a Sambo black belt which doesn't get near the respect BJJ does.

Ok. I guess I believe the standup is pretty close to equal between the two (as well as the chin - has CB been knocked out?)

I will give you Amir's sub game is obviously WAY better than CB's, but if CB had any sort of sub defense in those fights, I think he wins those fights. This is just my opinion. And, you have to admit... what I was originally saying in my first post - CB was being an idiot (showing no respect for Amir's sub skills standing out of the guard, etc). Amir's heart IS amazing and I look forward to seeing him more in the future!

AND... the submission game is probably the most exciting part of MMA for me. I have a ton of respect for it and I would much rather watch a technical ground battle than two fighters stand and throw bombs. I was just saying CB was being idiotic when he was on the ground. It almost seemed like he thought he had it in the bag and he was about to finish him off.

And one more thing... after watching a few of CB's fights, I guess I'm just disappointed in him. He was hyped to be a great up and comer, and while I see potential in him, I just don't think he'll ever be dominate. He's cocky and thinks he's the next best thing and maybe that is what will ruin him. Amir, on the other hand is a great story. Basically, a "nobody" who storms on to the scene with a great natural ability that can't be taught and I believe it will eventually take him far in this sport. Keep working on the all-around game and HE should be the one that is dominate.
Jackelope
6/23/08 11:46:26PM
CB is definitely a customer of his own hype. The guy has got game, don't doubt it. He just needed to take Amir a bit more seriously than he did. I think we'll see CB in the UFC again- and now after two upset losses like this he better analyze his preparation and mental game going into business. If he does then he'll have a big future.

The one thing that this fight showed me is to always pick heart with hard work over natural skill with quit. (Forrest vs. Jackson, anyone?)