UFC confirms title shot for Canadian Cote

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC confirms title shot for Canadian Cote
wolfman
7/7/08 12:25:52AM
Canada could have two UFC champions by year's end. Georges St. Pierre rules the 170-pound welterweight division. And Patrick (The Predator) Cote, GSP's friend and Montreal training partner, has been granted a crack at the 185-pound middleweight title -- probably later this year.

Cote (14-4) earned that Saturday night by winning a split decision over Ricardo (Big Dog) Almeida in the co-main event of UFC 86 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

LINK
joshryanshepherd
7/7/08 12:27:42AM
thats actually pretty huge, idk what cote's game plan will be coming into the fight with Anderson but mat god be with him...
ChokeUout
7/7/08 12:31:38AM
Well, I think this shot will come after Yushin Okami's shot if silva is healthy after the fight night. But Still, I'm okay with Cote getting a shot. I mean hell, They gotta feed SOMEBODY to silva every 3 or 4 months.
Khaos
7/7/08 12:50:58AM
Haha wow, he goes from 0-4 in the UFC to 4-4 in UFC with a title shot.

I picked Almedia altohugh I wanted Cote to win.

I think he losses rather quickly in the first like the rest(excluding Hendo and No Shot Lutter)
Twenty20Dollars
7/7/08 12:55:12AM
well i think okami puts on a war with silva so this fight prolly wont happen till late 08 or early 09. hopefully cote will take to get his title shot unlike thiago alves.
cmill21
7/7/08 12:59:04AM
I think thats the worst possible match up for cote. Anderson should dominate fairly quickly. However stranger things have happend lol.
jae_1833
7/7/08 1:08:51AM
Yeah I don't see Cote doing so well against Silva, round 1 or 2 KO. I think his hands are pretty much his only weapon and Silva will blast through him really quick. Now Okami on the on ther hand I can see going the distance! Hopefully not because Okami likes to turn it on in the later rounds and could possibly gain the judges favor.
Mayhem13
7/7/08 1:12:43AM
good.

Cote called Anderson out in the newest Fight Sport magazine and said he would stand toe to toe with Anderson and KO him halfway through the second.

I see it happening SLIGHTLY different though..I see him standing toe to toe...and getting KO'd in the 1st..brutaly and finished off with some GnP for good measure.
voodoo-jitsu
7/7/08 1:23:44AM
cote does have the punching power to ko silva but its highly unlikely
and im a cote fan and would like to see him do it i just dont see it happening
DiabloFreak56
7/7/08 1:25:04AM

Posted by Mayhem13

good.

Cote called Anderson out in the newest Fight Sport magazine and said he would stand toe to toe with Anderson and KO him halfway through the second.

I see it happening SLIGHTLY different though..I see him standing toe to toe...and getting KO'd in the 1st..brutaly and finished off with some GnP for good measure.

AGREED NICELY NICELY SAID
Vote4Fedro
7/7/08 1:44:33AM
I want Silva to hurt Cotex. That "fight" with Almeida was a joke. Boo this man boo Cotex.
MMAcca
7/7/08 1:57:16AM
I think Cote is getting KTFO inside a minute of the 1st round.

Cote is a C level fighter for me and Anderson is an A level fighter, there's a huge gulf in skillsets.

Shame that Okami seems to have been forgotten about though, he deserves the next shot imo, but it seems Cote is more marketable because of the Hl reel KO he's goona give The Spider.
coldchillin
7/7/08 3:00:44AM
unbelievable if Cote gets a title shot before Okami does.
loller90278
7/7/08 3:25:10AM
i say ufc brings in jacare in, or have the winner of palhares/henderson fight him.

cote does not deserve a title shot at all
Gipper
7/7/08 7:08:57AM
who the hell has done better in their last 5 fights. almeida, mcfredries, grove, smith and day. cote finished 3 of those fights by ko/tko. pretty damn good competition too. like i said on another topic a lot of you obviously don't know how dangerous ricardo aleida really is. okami had his chance for a titleshot when he fought rich. know he's working his way back up. another win or two and he'll get his shot too.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/7/08 7:15:33AM

Posted by Gipper

who the hell has done better in their last 5 fights. almeida, mcfredries, grove, smith and day. cote finished 3 of those fights by ko/tko. pretty damn good competition too. like i said on another topic a lot of you obviously don't know how dangerous ricardo aleida really is. okami had his chance for a titleshot when he fought rich. know he's working his way back up. another win or two and he'll get his shot too.

thank you sir ... I can't believe all the cote haters woooow. level c fighter, not deserving a shot and so on. you all say boo cote... you guys DO know I hope that Almeida was also part of the fight and ive yet to see anyone talk shit about him... Okami already got his shot, he'll get another one later on. Tell me this, if Cote is level C...that would make Almeida pretty damn low wouldnt it? Don't hate the fighter people, hate the fight game.
Figsak
7/7/08 10:17:55AM
You gotta question the guy though... He WAS on a big slide, and NOT that long ago. Do we really want a champion that has the possibilty of looking that bad? If he's gonna go for the belt, I hope he stays lookin this good.
coldindian
7/7/08 10:23:57AM

Posted by Khaos

Haha wow, he goes from 0-4 in the UFC to 4-4 in UFC with a title shot.

I picked Almedia altohugh I wanted Cote to win.

I think he losses rather quickly in the first like the rest(excluding Hendo and No Shot Lutter)

But hey, that just shows how much Cote wants to win, to come from an 0-4 record would be extremely hard, both physically and mentally.
AchillesHeel
7/7/08 10:40:45AM

Posted by Figsak

You gotta question the guy though... He WAS on a big slide, and NOT that long ago.

I wasn't expecting a title shot for Cote, but I have to disagree with this.

Cote is 7-1 in the last 29 months. Actually he's 9-1, but his TUF wins over Jorge Rivera and Edwin Dewees aren't official. His loss was to Travis Lutter, who subsequently gave Anderson Silva and Rich Franklin a hard time (I don't think a squid could submit Franklin, and Lutter was a half-second away from doing it).

His earlier losses - almost 3 years ago now - were a Split Decision to Leben and a UD to Tito Ortiz, a 205-lb fight that Cote took on short notice. The only loss that I think is a real blemish on Cote's record is the Sub by Doerksen, who isn't quite a UFC-caliber fighter (although he is a good submission fighter). Still, Cote has clearly improved against submission fighters since then, with wins over Jason MacDonald, Kendall Grove, and now Ricardo Almeida.

I don't think Cote is a 1st-tier fighter, but Franklin and Henderson are out of the title picture for the time being. I don't see anyone who's more deserving of a chance to lose courageously to Anderson Silva than Cote is.
Darnok
7/7/08 11:34:23AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I don't see anyone who's more deserving of a chance to lose courageously to Anderson Silva than Cote is.

cowcatcher
7/7/08 11:42:08AM
heres my problem with the whole thing, if AA/werdum is deemed too boring of a fight to give the winner a title shot, then why should the winner of the cote/almaida snoozer get one. i wasnt impressed by either guy in that fight and frankly im not sure either deserves a title shot, but then again, there isnt exactly a long list of great MWs on the UFC roster.
L-Dahab_87
7/7/08 12:26:32PM
If Cote barley beat Almeida, hes not touching Silva. Think about it, Cote's game is to sprawl n' brawl, to basically stand up with his opponent and try and use his KO power. Silva's game is to stand up and pick you apart with pinpoint strikes and dance around you with some insane footwork. Cote is a good stand up fighter with some sick KO power but where Cote is at his best (standing), Silva is even better.Cote could try and take Silva to the ground but Cote would then be taking himself out of his element. Cote's best shot at beating Silva is to stand up and try knocking out the champ, but in my opinion, this would place him where no one in the world has been successful; standing toe to toe with the pound for pound best fighter in the world. I'm sorry if I'm being too harsh, but i just don't see Cote beating Silva in a stand up fight, it;s not happening.
RNC
7/7/08 12:39:30PM
Cote gets knocked out late in the first.
Figsak
7/8/08 8:09:56PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by Figsak

You gotta question the guy though... He WAS on a big slide, and NOT that long ago.

I wasn't expecting a title shot for Cote, but I have to disagree with this.

Cote is 7-1 in the last 29 months. Actually he's 9-1, but his TUF wins over Jorge Rivera and Edwin Dewees aren't official. His loss was to Travis Lutter, who subsequently gave Anderson Silva and Rich Franklin a hard time (I don't think a squid could submit Franklin, and Lutter was a half-second away from doing it).

His earlier losses - almost 3 years ago now - were a Split Decision to Leben and a UD to Tito Ortiz, a 205-lb fight that Cote took on short notice. The only loss that I think is a real blemish on Cote's record is the Sub by Doerksen, who isn't quite a UFC-caliber fighter (although he is a good submission fighter). Still, Cote has clearly improved against submission fighters since then, with wins over Jason MacDonald, Kendall Grove, and now Ricardo Almeida.

I don't think Cote is a 1st-tier fighter, but Franklin and Henderson are out of the title picture for the time being. I don't see anyone who's more deserving of a chance to lose courageously to Anderson Silva than Cote is.

PLUS, I keep betting against him, and he keeps screwing me >,< *shakes fist*
bobbydoomocculta
7/8/08 8:34:14PM

I don't thing he'll screw me this time though...
Kracker_Jap
7/8/08 8:39:53PM
This is going to be Silva=Leban 2 the only differance is it is going to be Cote and not Leban
Rush
7/8/08 8:42:04PM
I am thinking Okami gets dropped by Silva in one or two rounds.

I say give Patrick the shot since there is nobody else with a 4 fight win streak in the division.