4 confirmed fights for WEC 3/24

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » 4 confirmed fights for WEC 3/24
ffforgottenx
2/21/07 4:38:21PM
source

some of these have been common knowledge/rumors for a little while (like mccullough/crunkilton), but now there are 4 CONFIRMED fights for the upcoming WEC card.. with jason miller and joe riggs also rumored to be on the card, i think WEC is on their way to having a pretty nice event..
hippysmacker
2/21/07 5:29:29PM
Dude you get around, don't cha? Lot's of articles. ANyway I hope it's MAyhem vs Riggs. hat would be a good fight and Riggs would be at 185, which is where I think he belongs.
ffforgottenx
2/21/07 5:33:33PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Dude you get around, don't cha? Lot's of articles. ANyway I hope it's MAyhem vs Riggs. hat would be a good fight and Riggs would be at 185, which is where I think he belongs.

haha somedays there is just more to report than others.. today was a day where i kept finding shit that i thought was legit and worth talking about.. but yea, i did post a ton of articles today haha

anyway, that would be great if it was mayhem vs riggs at 185.. thatd be a great fight.. id take mayhem by submission
Lay_N_Pray
2/21/07 6:53:47PM
Crunkilton vs McCullough will be pretty good
Stickan
2/21/07 8:51:13PM
I like both Alessio and Condit and they should make for a great fight.

Riggs vs Mayhem would be main card material on a UFC card IMO. Mayhem got a lot of shit after he got wasted by Trigg but he's an awesome fighter and hopefully he'll come back stronger. And Riggs is Riggs.
The only problem I have with this match-up is that one of them have to lose and both are in need of a V.

Not a very big fan of either Razor Rob or Crunkilton but they're both very good LWs and hopefully it'll be a more exciting fight than I think it will.
madmarck
2/21/07 9:44:24PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I think that is a Wec 185 title fight right there. I will be cheering for Riggs. Although i think he might lose to a bad Sub. I think there is a good chance he cna pull out the win.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/22/07 7:47:09AM

Posted by ffforgottenx

Posted by hippysmacker

haha somedays there is just more to report than others.. today was a day where i kept finding shit that i thought was legit and worth talking about.. but yea, i did post a ton of articles today haha

anyway, that would be great if it was mayhem vs riggs at 185.. thatd be a great fight.. id take mayhem by submission

naw man,its cool that you post tons of articles......thanks to you MMAplayground is my 1 stop shop!

soo...keep them comin!
ffforgottenx
2/22/07 8:23:25AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by ffforgottenx

Posted by hippysmacker

naw man,its cool that you post tons of articles......thanks to you MMAplayground is my 1 stop shop!

soo...keep them comin!

haha alright good deal man, i'll keep them coming as i keep finding them and no one else posts them.. glad to contribute

and speaking of jason miller, the MMAweekly rumors page no longer has mayhem listed as a rumored fighter.. not sure why..
madmarck
2/22/07 3:37:42PM
No more Mayhem? Ah man that sucks. I was hoping for Miller\Riggs ever so much. Hmm Joe is probably gonna fight some random can now.
hippysmacker
2/22/07 10:17:42PM
UFCmania.com says he is fighting in the WEC specifically because his contract allows him to also fight in ICON. Then he might go to the UFC. No mention of opponent though
aceprone
2/22/07 10:23:39PM
I hope this fight card will be televised! That's all I care about. Hopefully Riggs and Jason work out!
xthe_scottx
2/23/07 12:06:04AM
Apparently Jorge Gurgel is on this card too. Here is the source, it's in the third paragraph.

Link
ffforgottenx
2/23/07 8:17:52AM

Posted by xthe_scottx

Apparently Jorge Gurgel is on this card too. Here is the source, it's in the third paragraph.

Link

thats jorge oliveira bro, not gurgel.. he trains with chute boxe usa and is fighting doug marshall for the WEC LHW belt.. he was in the WFA before that and has already been in the WEC a few times
madmarck
2/23/07 8:21:19AM

Posted by xthe_scottx

Link

I doubt Jorge would be out of the UFC considering he just beat a guy by a dominating descision while injured. I think he might have some injuries that are messing him p. Like long term ones not short term stuff that is fixed with rest.
AchillesHeel
2/23/07 8:42:06AM
Anyone have an update on the supposed deal between WEC and the Vs. cable network? Last I saw, they were supposed to start broadcasting WEC events sometime in '07.
madmarck
2/23/07 8:44:59AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Anyone have an update on the supposed deal between WEC and the Vs. cable network? Last I saw, they were supposed to start broadcasting WEC events sometime in '07.

Wasnt Zuffa in negoations with HBO? If that deal comes through then there is a chance that both orgs, UFC and WEc, could be broadcast there. Most likely Wec though as the UFC has a pretty good relationship with Spike.
BloodandTears
2/23/07 11:56:32AM
Thanks for the info. Hopefully turns out to ba a good card.
ffforgottenx
2/23/07 12:15:10PM
update to the card.. here are all the officially announced bouts i could find..

from my previous post there is:

Rob McCullough (14-3) vs Rich Crunkilton (14-1) - LW title
John Alessio (18-9) vs Carlos Condit (19-4) - WW title
Doug Marshall (5-2) vs Jorge Oliviera (2-1-1) - LHW title
Brian Stann (2-0) vs Steve Cantwell (3-0) - LHW bout

and then today from wec.tv, i found these

Urijah Faber (17-1) vs Dominic Cruz (9-0) - FW title
Chase Beebe (9-1) vs Eddie Wineland (11-4-1) - BW title

so, so far there are 5 title fights on this card.. if they give riggs a shot at the middleweight title (or anyone else), that will be 6 title fights on one card.. the only one missing would be a heavyweight title fight, and i dont think WEC has very many heavyweights at all..

also rumored somewhere, i heard a possible bout between erik apple and brock larson, which would mean apple didnt infact sign with the UFC, but the WEC.. that would be a great matchup..
ffforgottenx
2/23/07 12:27:15PM
damnit.. alright, i need to start looking around before i make a post.. i just found this..

WEC FULL CARD FOR 3/24

FW: Urijah Faber vs. Dominick Cruz
WW: John Alessio vs. Carlos Condit
BW: Eddie Wineland vs. Chase Beebe
MW: Joe Riggs vs. Hiromitsu Miura
WW: Brock Larson vs. Eric Apple
WW: Dave Terrel vs. Tiki Goshn
FW: Cub Swanson vs. Tommy Lee
WW: Alex Serduykov vs. Scott Norton
FW: Micah Miller vs. Jesse Moreng
LH: Brian Stann vs. Steve Cantwell

so it looks like razor rob/rich is off until a later date, as well as marshall/oliveira..

but i was right about larson/apple, which will be a hell of a matchup..
terrel vs goshn is NOT the 'soul assassin' david terrell.. its another dave terrel who is 4-1..
and hiromitsu miura is 6-3, and a veteran of K-1 hero's, pancrase, and DEEP.. should be a good fight for riggs
madmarck
2/23/07 12:36:22PM
I belive the Dave Terrel who is fihgting at WW is a dif one who fights at MW in the UFC.
ffforgottenx
2/23/07 12:44:11PM

Posted by madmarck

I belive the Dave Terrel who is fihgting at WW is a dif one who fights at MW in the UFC.

yea thats what i said, that it is NOT the 'soul assassin', its a different guy whos name is spelled with one L at the end instead of two.. hes a veteran of WEC and KOTC.. figured people would get confused between the two alot
madmarck
2/25/07 10:44:10AM

Posted by ffforgottenx

Posted by madmarck

yea thats what i said, that it is NOT the 'soul assassin', its a different guy whos name is spelled with one L at the end instead of two.. hes a veteran of WEC and KOTC.. figured people would get confused between the two alot

Oh believe me they do. Just like there is a Jason Miller with over 50 fights. and its not Mayhem. Fighters with the same name get mixed up a lot.
SteedTheDeed
2/25/07 8:03:29PM
yay, a fight card on my birthday