Confidence Points

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Confidence Points
POLL: Thoughts?
Wow, great idea Kpro! 6% (2)
With a little ironing out this could work! 26% (9)
WTF are you talking about? 26% (9)
I hate Don King. 41% (14)
Kpro
5/27/08 2:06:35AM
I'm not a website designer and I don't even know how this would work out or if it would just make things complicated, but an idea came to me so I figured I'd at least toss it out for discussion.

So say there are 11 bouts on a card. After you're done making your picks, and method, and round; You rank the fights in order of most confident to least confident. Somehow a point system is awarded for winning the fights you are the most confident in, however that would be decided. Whether you rank all 11 or just your Top 5?

So if you rank a fight at the top in Confidence for the card and your guy loses, you are missing out on points to someone who ranked that fight much lower or not at all in their Confidence rankings.

Ok, so either this idea gets expounded upon or it will die out, but I figured I'd toss out the idea for discussion
bullettdodger
5/27/08 2:30:43AM
DAMN YOUSE DON KING!!!!! (you know what you did)
ocho-cinco
5/27/08 2:36:08AM
I like this idea in principal. I think it's missing something, I'm not sure what, but I think it's good outside the box thinking.
Mabey have one fight every event that you can designate as your confidence pick, and it can't be against an underdog. If you get it right, you get 5 points, if you don't you lose 5 points. How about that one?
Props to you Kpro
Mchubb316
5/27/08 2:37:59AM
I like the idea. The picks are hard enough sometimes, and adding that would make it a little more challengeing. Nice thought.
Raykill
5/27/08 2:40:44AM
I had to vote that I hate Don King, but as for the idea I think you have something here.

It would be cool to at least give it a test run and see what happens.
Kpro
5/27/08 2:56:11AM

Posted by ocho-cinco

I like this idea in principal. I think it's missing something, I'm not sure what, but I think it's good outside the box thinking.
Mabey have one fight every event that you can designate as your confidence pick, and it can't be against an underdog. If you get it right, you get 5 points, if you don't you lose 5 points. How about that one?
Props to you Kpro

Very true; tossing the x-factor of "losing points" into the equation and it would make some people play their "Confidence Picks", and some avoid making them altogether.

There's usually a fight or two every event which is an obvious mis-match though so we'd have to hopefully have a way of not just having everyone pick the blowout if you could only make 1 Confidence pick.
jiujitsufreak74
5/27/08 2:59:55AM
i like the concept but think it needs some ironing. maybe if enough people get behind something like this we can test drive it in secondary league
DCRage
5/27/08 6:45:17AM
I've done this in a couple of non-MMA Fantasy games, and personally I'm not a big fan of it. Adds a little too much unneeded complexity to the game among other things.
ohiostate1016
5/27/08 6:55:16AM
This is a decent idea, but I'd have to hear how it would work exactly though. I'm listening...
emfleek
5/27/08 9:51:37AM
Though I've never done something like this before, I was thinking along the same lines as what DCRage stated. It sounds to me like it was basically over-complicate things.
DCRage
5/27/08 10:46:15AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

This is a decent idea, but I'd have to hear how it would work exactly though. I'm listening...

An example from a wrestling forum's game that uses this:
Let's say there are 8 matches on the card. In addition to picking who would win a match, you then assign a number value, in this case 1-8, to winner of said match based on how confident you are they'll win. 1 is least confident, 8 most. Each number may only be used once. If your guy wins, you get assigned number of points. If your guy loses, you get zero. Sample:
Wrestler A vs. Wrestler B-Wrestler A (5)
Wrestler C vs. Wrestler D-Wrestler D (3)
Wrestler E vs. Wrestler F-Wrestler E (8)
And so on down the rest of the card. In the end, they determine winners by total points earned, not actual pick record. So it's possible for someone with a 7-1 record to beat someone with an 8-0 record.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/27/08 11:58:41AM
decent idea, but i hate doing confidence points when i make my college football picks so not sure if i'd like it here.

but i'd be willing to try it in the 2ndary league, couldnt hurt
rabbit915
5/27/08 12:04:53PM
One of the problems with polling the forums is that it usually only represents the most dedicated group of playgrounders. While i think this would definately represent who is better at picking, it adds quite a bit of complexity which could turn off a lot of new people and more casual players. Making pick and wagers is already fairly complex, this will just make it more complicated than it needs to be.
stock
5/27/08 12:25:06PM
I like the idea if was just picking winners (kind of like many College Football Bowl Pools I have been in or ran myself).
However, think it gets a little too complicated if you have to factor in round and method of victory as well.

I wouldn't mind running something like this myself for the next UFC if there is enough interest.
bobbydoomocculta
5/29/08 11:39:02PM
Bobby no likey... If your more confident in one fight over another, then that's what ya play dollars are for... imo...