Computer Phone Scam

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Computer Phone Scam
Aether
9/15/11 11:47:26PM
Someone just tried to scam me, so I looked up some information that I got off of them and found that this is apparently a pretty large and successful scam operation, so I decided I would post about it wherever I can just in case anyone else gets a similar call and doesn't have the computer knowledge to spot their bullshit.

They claimed that they worked for Microsoft (Microsoft Care Center I believe she said) and that they received an error message on their end from your machine. Right away, this is bullshit. Microsoft can not monitor your system files and they will not go out of their way to call you and tell you about viruses on your computer even if they could.

If you call them out on it they will persist obviously and tell you that they can prove it. They will tell you to open your command prompt by opening the run interface and typing 'cmd' then they will tell you to write in "ASSOC" and hit enter. This produces a list of file associations, basically it's just a list that tells your computer which file extensions belong to which programs. They'll tell you to scroll to the bottom, and look for this line:

zfsendtotarget clsid 888dca60-fc0a-11cf-8f0f-00c04fd7d062

and proceed to read the ID to you as proof that they are legit. THIS IS NOT A UNIQUE VALUE. The vast majority of windows systems will have this value.

after this, they'll tell you to go back to your run prompt, and launch the event viewer with the eventvwr command, a list which will contain records of any trivial error that may have occurred on your computer, they will use this to try to trick you into believing that you have some kind of virus which is causing the errors you see listed.

This whole part above is all just the setup to convince you of the veracity of the call. Once you're convinced that they're telling the truth they will ask you to allow them remote access to your computer so that they can fix it for you, they will install a bunch of spyware and **** onto your computer, and ask for your credit card to pay for it.

They have found some kind of loophole where they can actually get away with this, because by installing the spyware on your computer, they have provided you with a "service" for which you are paying them, and since you've manually granted them access to your computer, what they're doing seems like it might not be technically illegal (at least not in India, where the scam is being run from).

If the payment goes through your money is gone, and your bank will not be able to reverse the transaction. Normally I wouldn't even bother alerting people about a scam because the chances of it happening would be minimal, but this one seems to be pretty prolific, it's been happening to A LOT of people for quite a while now, authorities can't do anything about it and their methods are very convincing to anyone who doesn't know a good deal about computers, so I decided to warn anyone I could.

oh and here's an article:
scam artists
Twenty20Dollars
9/16/11 12:26:26AM
And what's your credit card number?

I don't have one. I can just pay you cash if you come pick it up. -Readies his gun-

I seriously hate this type of sh*t. Too much evil in the world.
Chael_Sonnen
9/16/11 12:56:33AM
Luckily for me, I can spot a scam artist a mile away....interesting article
kopower
9/16/11 10:49:16AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

His name wouldn't be Anderson Silva by any chance would it? Seemed like he scammed you out of a championship belt.
emfleek
9/16/11 10:54:27AM

Posted by kopower

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

His name wouldn't be Anderson Silva by any chance would it? Seemed like he scammed you out of a championship belt.

Oh snap!
Chael_Sonnen
9/16/11 1:36:00PM

Posted by kopower

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Kind of like your boy (Forrest) getting scammed in his last fight against Shogun.....friendo.
KungFuMaster
9/16/11 1:40:14PM
Thank you for posting this...

I am no computer whiz and I will likely believe it but I would never give my account over the phone unless it is I who made the call to a billing agency.
kopower
9/16/11 1:52:48PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by kopower

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Kind of like your boy (Forrest) getting scammed in his last fight against Shogun.....friendo.

Yeah, I haven't updated my profile in awhile. Forgot I had him as my favorite fighter. Oh how things can change. Shogun didn't bother scamming Forrest, he just took whatever he wanted.
Shawn91111
9/16/11 2:38:33PM
Was ripped off years ago on paypal. Someone got a hold of my banking info and charged like $400 worth of computer games, didn't even know it until the next day when my bank called me. Needless to say the bank looked into it, took 5 days and put the money lost back into my account.

My mom on the other hand had her identity stolen and was ripped off of over $3,000.
Chael_Sonnen
9/16/11 3:07:39PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Was ripped off years ago on paypal. Someone got a hold of my banking info and charged like $400 worth of computer games, didn't even know it until the next day when my bank called me. Needless to say the bank looked into it, took 5 days and put the money lost back into my account.

My mom on the other hand had her identity stolen and was ripped off of over $3,000.

Same thing happened to one of my friends.....I invested in a shredder for any of my documents that I don't need anymore.....comes in handy
gartface
9/16/11 3:16:25PM

However, the telemarketers only charge the credit card for the amount the customer agrees to and, according to the vendor's research, do not use the card details again.

This seems dumb at first glance, but on second thought is pretty smart on their part.

Man oh man, scams are getting complex.
scoozna
9/16/11 4:32:23PM
Wow. I tell my wife, over and over again, no one will ever ask you for your password or ask you for your credit/bank card information. If you call them (if you are ordering something or have an issue) that's one thing, but you'll never have to give payment information to someone who calls you.

Aether
9/16/11 4:35:46PM

Posted by gartface

However, the telemarketers only charge the credit card for the amount the customer agrees to and, according to the vendor's research, do not use the card details again.

This seems dumb at first glance, but on second thought is pretty smart on their part.

Man oh man, scams are getting complex.

Yeah that's part of what makes it legal. Whoever thought up this scam is probably pretty rich now, because it's been going on for like 2 years and the police can't do anything about since they're not actually breaking any of the country's laws out of which they are operating.

It's pretty brilliant, to be honest.