The 5 Most Complete fighters in MMA.....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The 5 Most Complete fighters in MMA.....
StriderXero
1/22/09 7:58:50AM
#5 Anderson Silva- Everyone knows that Andy is a beast standing up, but his BJJ is also pretty damn good. One ofthe only guys to every stop Hendo.

#4 Kid Yamamoto- This dude comes from a wrestling family, and is pretty dam good at it too. Pretty dam good standup He more than held his own in the k-1 matches he fought in. And the guy has such raw power, he was fighting in 2 classes above his natural weight. For anyone who hasn't seen Kid fight, I suggest you youtube it now. This guy is crazy.

#3 BJ Penn- Everyone knows BJ is good all around. Heck I was surprised when Freddy Roach said BJ had the best boxing in MMA that he has seen. The only thing that I see truly missing with him is more head kicks. Everyone knows he has the flexibilty for it, so why not use it more?

#1 is a tie for me...........GSP/Fedor

GSP- He started martial arts karate, but basically everyone knows the guy as probably haviing the best wrestling in MMA. The dude I dont think ever competed in a wrestling competition before even starting MMA. He has cardio that can probably go on for days. The Guy improves everytime he fights.

Fedor- this guy is such a durable machine. A multiple sambo champ, pretty athletic for a pudgy guy. He moves around like a freakin lightweight. And I think he is probably the smartest fighter in MMA. He can basically do it all. Just take a look at his record and how he won those fights.

The difference to me with GSP and Fedor is basically Fedor's genius and GSP's athleticism and TDD.

Give me your lists and opinions.
mentalcase
1/22/09 8:15:01AM
shinya aoki

melvin manheof
Shawn91111
1/22/09 8:32:43AM

Posted by mentalcase

shinya aoki

melvin manheof

Melvin as a complete fighter?
mentalcase
1/22/09 8:42:15AM
in case u didn't get my joke, both the fighter i listed are the most one dimensional fighters in mma aoki all grappling manhoef all striking
chuckw94
1/22/09 8:48:20AM
1. fedor
2. gsp
3. penn
4. anderson silva
5.faber
Shawn91111
1/22/09 9:21:42AM

Posted by mentalcase

in case u didn't get my joke, both the fighter i listed are the most one dimensional fighters in mma aoki all grappling manhoef all striking

lol yanno it went right over my head, my fault
cj_striker
1/22/09 9:34:16AM
posted below

ohiostate1016
1/22/09 9:36:22AM
1 - Fedor - I just don't really see a hole in his game that anybody could exploit. Plus he transitions from one aspect of the sport to another almost seamlessly.

2 - GSP - His karate got him to the top, his jiu-jitsu kept him there, and his wrestling is going to make him dominant

3 - BJ - Other than wrestling, there are really no holes in his game. He has top-notch boxing, and his BJJ is off the charts.

4 - Anderson - We haven't really gotten to see his ground game recently, but there's a reason why he's a black belt. He may not be on the level of a Nog, BJ, or Aoki, but he's near the top. And his striking...well, just ask Rich Franklin.

5 - Kid, Evans, Torres, Faber - There really isn't an obvious choice here. They all have pretty decent all-around games, but none of them are really on the level of the four above them.
cj_striker
1/22/09 9:38:18AM

Posted by StriderXero

#5 Anderson Silva- Everyone knows that Andy is a beast standing up, but his BJJ is also pretty damn good. One ofthe only guys to every stop Hendo.

#4 Kid Yamamoto- This dude comes from a wrestling family, and is pretty dam good at it too. Pretty dam good standup He more than held his own in the k-1 matches he fought in. And the guy has such raw power, he was fighting in 2 classes above his natural weight. For anyone who hasn't seen Kid fight, I suggest you youtube it now. This guy is crazy.

#3 BJ Penn- Everyone knows BJ is good all around. Heck I was surprised when Freddy Roach said BJ had the best boxing in MMA that he has seen. The only thing that I see truly missing with him is more head kicks. Everyone knows he has the flexibilty for it, so why not use it more?

GSP- He started martial arts karate, but basically everyone knows the guy as probably haviing the best wrestling in MMA. The dude I dont think ever competed in a wrestling competition before even starting MMA. He has cardio that can probably go on for days. The Guy improves everytime he fights.

Fedor- this guy is such a durable machine. A multiple sambo champ, pretty athletic for a pudgy guy. He moves around like a freakin lightweight. And I think he is probably the smartest fighter in MMA. He can basically do it all. Just take a look at his record and how he won those fights.

The difference to me with GSP and Fedor is basically Fedor's genius and GSP's athleticism and TDD.

Screwed up on above post.

Agree, with a lot of what you said Kid Yamamoto does look like a complete fighter in a lot of ways, but I'd like to see him fight a like better competition before I consider him in the top 5 most complete fighters. He's beaten Curran which is impressive, but besides that only Caol Uno and Yahya ( only because he is such a great jj practitioner) stand out. Then the NC vs. Thomson
I would replace Kid Yamamoto with maybe like Miguel Torres.
And if Fitch stepped up his striking just a little or Florian stepped up his wrestling they would definitely be on the list.
Great post though
cj_striker
1/22/09 10:52:35AM
I wouldn't say Evans, Mr. Ohio State guy, because his jj hasn't been proven to be anywhere near great.
cowcatcher
1/22/09 11:17:23AM
i like cj's addition of torres replacing kid, other than that ill agree with the TS's list. i also think a guy like gegard moussasi deserves mention, as well as a couple of the tuffers like florian and forrest.
TheCatFather
1/22/09 11:34:26AM
Silva, GSP, Fedor, BJ and L. Machida.
StriderXero
1/22/09 12:27:33PM

Posted by cj_striker

Posted by StriderXero

Agree, with a lot of what you said Kid Yamamoto does look like a complete fighter in a lot of ways, but I'd like to see him fight a like better competition before I consider him in the top 5 most complete fighters. He's beaten Curran which is impressive, but besides that only Caol Uno and Yahya ( only because he is such a great jj practitioner) stand out. Then the NC vs. Thomson
And if Fitch stepped up his striking just a little or Florian stepped up his wrestling they would definitely be on the list.
Great post though

thanks dude
but I still stand by Kid being more well rounded than Torres. I was having trouble deciding who was more well rounded between them 2. Alot of people give Kid the if he were to fight Torres, and I do too. Alot of people think that Kid would win against Faber (another well rounded fighter). I dont really see a big hole in Kid's game other than not having great jiu jitsu, but he has like 2 sub wins though(probably against guys with horrible jiu jitsu defense) . I actually see him as a miniture version of GSP.

All in all though this topic is about the fighters' well rounded game, not who they have beaten. LOL dont mean to be a dick.

But come to think of it I will have to take Anderson Silva out of my list and put Torres in his spot. I see Torres more well rounded with less holes in his game.
postman
1/22/09 1:58:45PM

Posted by StriderXero

Both Nogs and Anderson Subbed him hes never been knocked out. Seems like the only ppl who can finish Dan are Black house guys.
cmill21
1/22/09 2:33:05PM

Posted by cj_striker

Great post though

You missed the most impressive part of Kid's resume, Genki Sudo. Also he was an olympic calibur wrestler, and held his own in K-1 against the top of the head.
pv3Hpv3p
1/22/09 2:51:24PM
Is this just a sneaky way to ask the #4# question???

Anyway... I'd go with Torres, Penn, A.Silva, GSP, Fedor... From ifth to first in that order
hotrodttt
1/22/09 5:54:50PM
I'm surprised Akiyama hasn't been mentioned yet
Boo_Radley21
1/22/09 8:04:38PM
Can't believe it took so long, it always gets mentioned in these threads so I'll give the obligatory nomination of Wayne Weems!
higdon10
1/22/09 8:05:58PM
BJ Penn
Fedor
GSP
Anderson Silva
Dan Henderson
Wolfenstein
1/23/09 2:55:46PM
Fedor
Miguel Torres
Lyoto Machida
BJ Penn
Nate Marquardt
Kenny Florian
Urijah Faber
Gesias Calvancanti
Yoshihiro Akiyama
Luis Cane

Pitbull09
1/23/09 4:30:31PM
I would give more credit to Kid than Fedor. Though Fedor is a beast, I think his stand up isnt like lower weight classes, as Heavyweights seems to be more brawlers. There Cro Cop and Kongo but they can be and do get taken down.

Kid to me is crazy and the mold of a fighter that makes for a tough fight. Like a lot of other great wrestler (Kid being olympic class), they are able to have very heavy hands and beat a threat standing. So this make the style game even harder for the other guy as facing a wrestler, they arnt getting them down or going to be able to defend the takedown so the wrestler is deciding where to fight. Kid can chose to stay up and force the guy to stand with him or if he is losing the exchanges, he can get him down.

#1 Anderson Silva (I like his BBJ more than GSP)
#2 GSP (Wrestler with good standup and a variety of knowledge in styles growing up)
#3 Yamoto
#4 Penn
#5 Fedor

These rankings easily could get changed in the next two weeks as three of the guys are fighting. I without a doubt would raise Fedor over BJ if he dominates AA standing.
haggiswashere
1/23/09 11:59:56PM
Houston Alexander
copcopps
1/24/09 12:22:55AM
Jason Thacker, Chris Sanford, Jason Rafferdy and Gabe Ruedigar
Pitbull09
1/24/09 2:59:06AM

Posted by haggiswashere

Houston Alexander

Andy Wang- Most Incomplete fighter
Royce Gracie- Most succesful incomplete fighter
Tim Sylvia- Most completely overrated fighter
Wanderlei Silva- Most best paired fighter to complete Chuck Liddel for best fight ever.
Seth Pelutzi (spelling)- Fighter to complete Elite XC's 5 minutes of fame
Mike Goldberg- Most completely worthless commentator
ect