Competition for Brock Lesnar

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Competition for Brock Lesnar
GrandMaster313
12/3/08 4:56:30PM
Ok, so I gave a look at the current UFC roster as it is on their website 12/3/08 and I have stumbled into a delima. We all know the Heavyweight division is probably the weakest link of the UFC. With Brock Lesnar being 3-1 right now and fighting the winner of the Mir/Noguiera fight what other competition does this guy really have. Now before you reply to this please understand that I have never been a Lesnar fan and don't feel the way the UFC is pushing this guy upon us fans. He beat a lost fighter in Heath Herring( and by lost I mean a fighter trying to find himself right now).
Then of course he lost to Frank Mir. And finally beat Randy couture for the title. What I am wondering is this... In a Division that is hurting who really has a chance with Lesnar. I could only think of 3 and this is pushing it!!!

1.Shane Carwin
2.Cain Valasquez
3.Gabriel Gonzaga

Now these fighters i have mentioned are assuming that he steam rolls past either Noguiera or Mir. If he does who else in this division remotely has a chance ???

JimiMak
12/3/08 5:18:44PM
Well seeing as how he stands no chance against Nog and a very small one against Mir, I wouldn't go worrying. A lot of guys have a good shot at him.
Ordep
12/3/08 5:46:01PM
Shane Carwin
Has the size, athleticism and skill to KO Lesnar and he will. Hope he doesn't fight Cain before one of them gets the belt first.
wiggum
12/3/08 5:52:01PM
i'd say other than the interim two that gabriel gonzaga has the best chance....he's a big guy and keeps getting bigger...he's been in with the best, including a title fight.....he's standup is excellent for a heavyweight and very very powerful...wrestles better than most bjj guys and of course is supurb on the ground...he has all the tools to beat lesnar and would in my opionon as long as his mental game is there........after that, as of right now, i'd say carwin, that guy sits at 260 so he isnt giving up that much weight....he actually has bigger hands (and better boxing) than brock, his gloves are 5xl, brocks 4xl....i only added that cuz everybody seems amazed at brocks, haha.....wrestling brock would be better, but carwin is former div 1 all american, so he's no slouch...i think he moves better than brock too....both chins havent been tested nor cardio.....cain would give brock a good run too for the same reasons, but i think the size difference would play in there....but i honestly think cain is the future of the division in the ufc...after that, if cheick landed the shot before getting taken down, that would be intersting, but thats an if not a guarantee
higdon10
12/3/08 6:57:42PM
Cain Velazquez is my favorite HW prospect. The kid is a beast. I think that right now he would beat Lesnar up.
Matimus
12/3/08 6:58:36PM
Gonzaga would give him a go.
If he could stay on the feet, he'd smash Lesnar
DCRage
12/3/08 6:58:58PM
I certainly believe Carwin can, if just because his hands might be bigger than Brock's. That can be a big physical, and perhaps psychological advantage.
The_Ho_Bag
12/3/08 7:48:34PM

Posted by JimiMak

Well seeing as how he stands no chance against Nog and a very small one against Mir, I wouldn't go worrying. A lot of guys have a good shot at him.

i think that in a rematch lesnar would beat mir
postman
12/3/08 7:57:14PM
I think Kongo would pick him apart standing could he keep it there im not sure.
tdietel01
12/3/08 8:03:07PM
it seems like nobody is giving lesnar any respect. didnt everyone think that the only way couture would win was standing? Maybe it was just me, lesnar won anyway! and wasnt herring on top of his game and really getting his mind right? that was the word before brock handled him. Does everyone think he is gonna go straight to the ground with nog? I think if he stands I think he will win. We know he can handle mir on the ground if he doesnt stand. I think gonzaga has the best chance if he stands with him. i think on the ground he is a beaten man.
The_Ho_Bag
12/3/08 8:03:43PM

Posted by higdon10

Cain Velazquez is my favorite HW prospect. The kid is a beast. I think that right now he would beat Lesnar up.

deff is a beast but i think he needs time to grow before he fights lesnar, they should build him up
cmill21
12/3/08 8:55:27PM
In the UFC, Nog, Mir, GG, Cain, and thats about it I guess, but then again thats the only good HW's in the UFC. Out side the UFC, Fedor, Barny, Overeem, Hunt(yep I said it), and both AA and Cro Cop would beat him if they could keep er standing.
juanez13
12/3/08 9:14:56PM

Posted by postman

If he could keep it standing, maybe. But Kongo has probably the worst takedown defense amongst the HW's, so I doubt he'd keep Lesnar from taking him down.
GrandMaster313
12/3/08 9:23:28PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by postman

If he could keep it standing, maybe. But Kongo has probably the worst takedown defense amongst the HW's, so I doubt he'd keep Lesnar from taking him down.

exactly that is why i didnt have him in the 3 fighters i proposed!!!
aaa9erh8er
12/3/08 10:07:14PM

Posted by cmill21

In the UFC, Nog, Mir, GG, Cain, and thats about it I guess, but then again thats the only good HW's in the UFC. Out side the UFC, Fedor, Barny, Overeem, Hunt(yep I said it), and both AA and Cro Cop would beat him if they could keep er standing.

i gotta agree here i think any of the above fighters have a really good chANce at beating him. now mir won i think becouse he has more experience by far overall and in the octagon. now im sure brocks been training the cage alot more i could see him beating mir this time NOG no way the otheres i think would all be great fights i maintain and im not a fedor fan but theres no way hed last 15sec.
GrandMaster313
12/3/08 10:17:29PM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

Posted by cmill21

i gotta agree here i think any of the above fighters have a really good chANce at beating him. now mir won i think becouse he has more experience by far overall and in the octagon. now im sure brocks been training the cage alot more i could see him beating mir this time NOG no way the otheres i think would all be great fights i maintain and im not a fedor fan but theres no way hed last 15sec.

we are not talking about FEDOR. realistically who has a chance????
higdon10
12/4/08 7:16:28PM

Posted by GrandMaster313

Nog
GG
Carwin
Velazquez
Mir
Wolfenstein
12/4/08 7:55:58PM
I'm going to throw this out there since it hasn't been said...Randy Couture. I felt like Randy was winning before he got caught, and Ithink he would have a really good chance to beat him in a rematch. Don't be surprised if it happens before Randy retires.

Guys that I think have a shot at beating Lesnar

Antonio Noguiera
Randy Couture
Gabriel Gonzaga
Cain Velasquez
Shane Carwin
Junior Dos Santos
Frank Mir

The UFC only has 19 fighters on its HW roster. So a little over 1/3 of the division has a decent chance of whupping Brock. I'd say that's not bad.
GrandMaster313
12/4/08 11:52:59PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I'm going to throw this out there since it hasn't been said...Randy Couture. I felt like Randy was winning before he got caught, and Ithink he would have a really good chance to beat him in a rematch. Don't be surprised if it happens before Randy retires.

Guys that I think have a shot at beating Lesnar

Antonio Noguiera
Randy Couture
Gabriel Gonzaga
Cain Velasquez
Shane Carwin
Junior Dos Santos
Frank Mir

The UFC only has 19 fighters on its HW roster. So a little over 1/3 of the division has a decent chance of whupping Brock. I'd say that's not bad.

well Santos only has 1 fight so c'mon !
dannyfrank
12/5/08 9:19:51PM

Posted by higdon10

Posted by GrandMaster313

Nog
GG
Carwin
Velazquez
Mir

i dont think that mir would win if they had a rematch. he was getting beat pretty bad until he was able to get a hold of lesnar's leg and that waslesnar's first fight. if they fought now, mir wouldn't last very long IMO