The Company Making the UFC Undisputed Video Game May Be Going Under

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » The Company Making the UFC Undisputed Video Game May Be Going Under
MMAcca
3/5/09 6:27:29PM
The first UFC videogame, titled Undisputed, for the next generation of consoles is currently in development by THQ. But the international developer and publisher of videogames is facing tough financial times.

THQ has lost $334 million dollars this year and their stock prices has fallen from $20 a share to $2 a share.

Now according to Michael Hickey of Janco Partners, the company has a fifty percent chance of going bankrupt (via gamereplays.org).

Currently THQ is trying to save over $220 million next year and are preapring to slash over 600 employees. However, the prognosis remains dark for THQ.

LINK
mkiv9secsupra
3/5/09 6:40:04PM
well the optimistic view is that even if THQ goes under, whoever buys them out will surely still have the rights to continue development of the game which would only be a tune up by that point and the game would only be pushed back 6 months and not ultimately abandoned
cmill21
3/5/09 6:41:42PM
Well other then this game, what have they done? lol
motorboatensob
3/5/09 6:50:41PM
I don't even care any more I've been waiting so long for this game. By the time this game comes out all of the fighters will all be retired.
bjj1605
3/5/09 6:57:13PM
good, I hope THQ goes under and EA sports takes over making UFC games.
gabe531
3/5/09 7:07:19PM
can i just get a ufc game on ps3? damn i already rented ufc for ps2 just because and while its nice they have a date now this crap comes out. THQ stay in business til september atleast
RampageOwnedYou
3/5/09 7:13:37PM

Al their really known for is, WWF and the WWE games.
bojangalz
3/5/09 7:43:33PM
I think this is a big reason why UFC made such a big deal out of getting fighters to sign the licensing agreement. I think ZUFFA are probably considering the idea of purchasing the trouble company and wanted to lock up the rights to as many guys as possible. There is definitely money to be had in the video game industry. And with the explosion of the sport, ZUFFA could have an ancilary money maker on their hands.
Sam_Rothstein
3/5/09 8:04:46PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

No they also do the Saints Row franchises which are pretty big. I don't really mind since im more of a GTA fan but im sure some people will be real pissed if they go under.
wapttn
3/5/09 8:47:07PM

Posted by bojangalz

I think this is a big reason why UFC made such a big deal out of getting fighters to sign the licensing agreement. I think ZUFFA are probably considering the idea of purchasing the trouble company and wanted to lock up the rights to as many guys as possible. There is definitely money to be had in the video game industry. And with the explosion of the sport, ZUFFA could have an ancilary money maker on their hands.

gotta spread the love... but bingo
Boo_Radley21
3/5/09 8:50:39PM
...****
theguido
3/5/09 9:08:00PM
This is MMA news???
gabe531
3/5/09 9:49:34PM

Posted by theguido

This is MMA news???

since they are under contract with the ufc's video game and that could AGAIN be delayed or worse i would say so. but im not a mod
Loot613
3/5/09 11:23:50PM
You get this far down the post list u must have cared
cmill21
3/6/09 3:22:48AM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

No they also do the Saints Row franchises which are pretty big. I don't really mind since im more of a GTA fan but im sure some people will be real pissed if they go under.

Yeah I hate all of those games lol. Hoping EA will get the new contract.
EvenFlow
3/6/09 4:00:08AM

Posted by motorboatensob

I don't even care any more I've been waiting so long for this game. By the time this game comes out all of the fighters will all be retired.

I disagree with this mentality simply for this reason..

There arnt a whole lot of attributes on fighters to make the game realistic enough and theres too much human element for video games yet, it will probably take a few years before videos games are up to par with this element of realism in games. I really dont think this game would be as great as the hype it got which is okay because I dont really wanna play another full contact game until gaming improves overall.
jakeiceman
3/6/09 4:27:05AM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by motorboatensob

There arnt a whole lot of attributes on fighters to make the game realistic enough and theres too much human element for video games yet, it will probably take a few years before videos games are up to par with this element of realism in games. I really dont think this game would be as great as the hype it got which is okay because I dont really wanna play another full contact game until gaming improves overall.

Well I disagree with this mentality simply for this reason..

Its a game man!! They are not supposed to be as realistic as the real deal. I understand that in past fighting games that the motions were not realistic and kinda horrible so I hope the new UFC effort is and improvement but it doesnt change that it is still a GAME. If your getting to the point where you wont play a game because it is not perfectly in sync with reality then maybe its time to go out and do the REAL thing.

For example:

you could hijack cars and beat up hookers

you could play in a crappy rock band with a plastic guitar

or you could get all of your buddies together with some tanks and laser guns in your back yard and play capture the flag ala Halo style.

Damn I don't know what the point of my post was because now I kinda wanna go beat up a hooker with a plastic guitar.....

CwB
3/6/09 6:46:27AM
This could be bad news for the game as THQ could rush a release and skip out on quality

I hope if they do go under the game isnt just released i hope someone else picks it up and finishes it
EvenFlow
3/7/09 4:20:49AM

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by motorboatensob

Its a game man!! They are not supposed to be as realistic as the real deal. I understand that in past fighting games that the motions were not realistic and kinda horrible so I hope the new UFC effort is and improvement but it doesnt change that it is still a GAME. If your getting to the point where you wont play a game because it is not perfectly in sync with reality then maybe its time to go out and do the REAL thing.

For example:

or you could get all of your buddies together with some tanks and laser guns in your back yard and play capture the flag ala Halo style.

Damn I don't know what the point of my post was because now I kinda wanna go beat up a hooker with a plastic guitar.....

I dont understand you're rant, I choose quality over convienience.....so what?
mentalcase
3/7/09 4:43:30AM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by motorboatensob

For example:

i understand his rant

he means NO games in the world, even all the greatest critically claimed games in the history of video gaming in any genre are perfectly realistic or are a true simulation

you can always fault a video game that is trying to recreate real life for not being perfectly realistic, there are just too many variables

so i guess u don't like any video games, cause none are perfectly realistic, some do a great job and come close (like certain racing simulators) but none are prefect

EvenFlow
3/7/09 7:11:57AM
Again I take quality over anything else, I guess I'm not a video game nerd I dont play them too often.
mentalcase
3/7/09 7:36:52AM
i am a video game nerd
jakeiceman
3/7/09 1:45:47PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by jakeiceman

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by motorboatensob

For example:

Dont stress buddy I was just kidding. My response was a parody of your rant. I'm not a big gamer so I was just having a good time, I dont really have an opinion either way.
Styles
3/7/09 4:15:22PM
I too would like to see EA do these games, but the chances of that happeneing are slim. Zuffa wouldn't profit much as EA would take probally close to 80% of the net. ow if Zuffa was smart, they would use the games through EA to draw more fans while making a little money at the same time. EA is the biggest company out there when it comes to sport games....