UFC coming to Hawaii with or without BJ Penn

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC coming to Hawaii with or without BJ Penn
emfleek
2/9/12 9:10:20AM
The UFC’s goal of landing in Hawaii is still happening, but not the way they wanted.

The promotion has long talked about landing on the island where MMA continues to be a thriving and very popular sport, but their best laid plans took a hit last October.

According to UFC President Dana White, the plan for the UFC’s first ever show in Hawaii was to have former lightweight and welterweight champion B.J. Penn headline a card at the Aloha Bowl.

Unfortunately when Penn lost to Nick Diaz at UFC 137 last October, the Hawaiian has opted to take some much needed time off and it threw a bit of a monkey wrench into their plans.

“We’re still working on that, but we want to do it. I was kind of hoping to go to Hawaii again and do a B.J. (Penn) fight at the Aloha Bowl, but B.J. wants to take some time off. He’s going to relax for a while,” White revealed about the UFC going to Hawaii.

LINK
KingCmb
2/9/12 10:16:58AM
its been awhile hes had enough time i know im just greedy but enns always fun to watch
airkerma
2/9/12 10:34:27AM
I'd wager on "without"
Bubbles
2/9/12 11:00:25AM
so almost a year off isnt enough time?
emfleek
2/9/12 11:07:50AM

Posted by Bubbles

??

He just fought 3 months ago.
Budgellism
2/9/12 11:10:53AM
I'd love to see Penn come back and fight at Lightweight against Cerrone or the Diaz/Miller loser.
lohmann
2/9/12 11:11:03AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Bubbles

??

Hey!

If he didn't have to put in a bunch of work, like training and dieting and training and dieting and training and dieting, before October, that would be almost a year off.
Kpro
2/9/12 12:23:51PM
What, like they can outdo Kendall Grove vs. Minowaman? Hawaii already had a top level main event this year from ProElite.
postman
2/9/12 12:28:21PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Bubbles

??

My thoughts as well. It almost seems wrong for them to do a cards without him.
emfleek
2/9/12 12:28:44PM

Posted by Kpro

What, like they can outdo Kendall Grove vs. Minowaman? Hawaii already had a top level main event this year from ProElite.

CAAAAABBAGE!!!!

Bubbles
2/9/12 12:57:46PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Bubbles

??

by the time they schedule the event, which most likely wont be til near the end of summer, it will be close to a year
prophecy033
2/9/12 1:17:10PM
You would almost have to have Penn on the card, wouldn't you? It would still sell without him but to have the States top fighter in the main event, that's where its at. I could see a scene like Aldo's in Brazil if he won
ghandikush
2/9/12 2:11:46PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Kpro

CAAAAABBAGE!!!!

This This This This, I know Tank Abbot or Shamrock could use the money for someone he could beat.
Lesnar1
2/9/12 7:54:36PM
Just wana say that the 'Aloha Bowl' is the coolest name for an arena i've ever heard.