Here Comes Fedor.....and Strikeforce

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Here Comes Fedor.....and Strikeforce
icebergsnoopy
6/23/10 5:15:29PM
By Jason Kelly

Strikeforce is in the usual San Jose this Saturday and they’re giving us arguably the P4P best fighter in the world, Fedor Emelianenko, who will be fighting an opponent I don’t believe he should be fighting. Nevertheless, he’s fighting and we get to be spectators. Fabricio Werdum, Fedor’s opposition Saturday night, is a Brazilian Ju-Jitsu wizard in the heavyweight division with a few KO/TKO’s to his credit. Fabricio is a heavy underdog in this fight as most of Emelianenko’s foes are however, Werdum has a legit chance to win this fight, his grappling is some of the best in the world and Werdum affirmed that last year when he won the ADCC championship along with the correct standup game. Fabricio does impose a threat. Fedor, in a different manner, has a dangerous ground game and menacing punches with which he finishes most fighters dominantly, giving him a 27 fight win streak meanwhile, Werdum has won his last 2.

Although their records don’t match up and Fedor is “FEDOR”, Fabricio says he isn’t nervous, as well as very confident and he will win this fight via first round submission. I’m sure Fedor has other plans for the individual who defeated his brother Aleksander. Fedor said in a recent interview he isn’t interested in avenging Aleks’ loss yet, Strikeforce.com reads “Fedor promises to avenge the loss his brother incurred against Werdum”, who knows if he does or doesn’t but, Fedor has never needed extra motivation to fight and win before so I don’t see it making a difference. Werdum is prepared, realizing Fedor is going to be a mighty task; Fabricio says he has a secret that will make him the successor of the bout. Emelianenko is more skilled than Fabricio’s previous opponents on the other hand; Fabricio is arguably more skilled than Fedor’s recent opponents which results in a great fight for us the fan. There have been rumors swirling lately around the MMA world that Fedor is considering retirement, if that’s got any truth to it, Emelianenko won’t want to lose one of his last bouts. Furthermore, Werdum has said winning this fight would be like bringing 5 belts home, sounds like they both want this win bad.

Let’s try not to forget there are other fights on this card as well, top female fighter Cyborg Santos is going at Jan Finney, another fight which incorporates a heavy underdog. We have seen Cyborg thrashing her combatants savagely barring, Finney is a less known fighter, she brings a lot of power and durability to the game although, she sports an 8-7 record, she’s never been KO’d along with having the momentum of a 4 fight win streak. Cyborg, we know will come out fast and strong, looking for the finish, with the durability to take Cyborg’s onslaught this could be one of the best female matches we have ever seen.

This card provides a rematch with Cung Le and Scott Smith, a fight that embraces fists in faces. Cung lost their first meeting after a long lay-off due to acting, not to take anything from Smith, Cung is more technical and we know Le will be coming hard but, we also know Smith can take punishment, pull off crazy victories, and throw leather; no doubt it will be a burner. Leaving us with former LW champ Josh Thomson and Pat Healy in a bout that doesn’t mean much, if Healy wins it will take him to the next level but, I don’t see a W doing much for Thomson who is coming off a title loss to Gilbert Melendez meanwhile, Healy has had one fight in Strikeforce and is riding a 4 fight win streak.

Strikeforce is starting to put together quality cards, now they have to work on presentation and commentating, I think CBS having “Gus” return is a huge mistake and they should stick with Pat Miletich and Stephan Quadros but, we all know that won’t happen. We get who many claim to be the best male and female fighters in the world in one night, this has potential to be one of their best cards with the fights being delivered; after all… IT IS FEDOR!
Falcons84
6/27/10 1:10:08AM
I think Strikeforce's cards have looked bad lately. Babalu and Lawler on june 16th was a joke.