Up and Comers in Each Division (Guys who aren't quite top ten yet, but have/or will have the training/talent to be one day)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Up and Comers in Each Division (Guys who aren't quite top ten yet, but have/or will have the training/talent to be one day)
cj_striker
2/20/08 2:04:52PM
Of course this post will be open to a lot of speculation, because it all depends on who you consider to be the top ten fighters in each division. To make this post a little easier to answer, I'm just going to use the UFC and WEC (with the exception of two or three guys). Because it's too hard IMO opinion to add Gomi, Fedor, JZ and all the overseas guys to the mix. So who do you feel isn't in the top ten in each divison, combined fighters together (because in reality only Filho and maybe Condit have the right to say they would be top ten UFC guys, seeing how Faber and Curran are screwed due to no FW division in the UFC), but has the talent to one day be a top ten guy. Here's just a few IMO!

HW-Big Foot Silva and Ben Rothwell (already ranked top ten in some people's mind), Jake O'Brien (depending on what I see in the AA fight), Hardonk and Sanchez have the standup, but need a lot of work, and I have to add Kimbo and Lesnar, just because both the guys have rare talent in certain areas, so with the right training they could make waves within a year or two.

LHW-Gouveia, Hamill, Soko, Alexander are obvious, then after Boetsch's performance you have to add him, Brian Stann (WEC guy with killer hands)..just to name a few.

MW-Jason MacDonald, Nate Quarry, Patrick Cote, along with Leben (some may argue are already bottom top teners), Ed Herman, Kalib Starnes, Sonnen (guy has been around awhile, but looks really good as of late), Blas Avena (WEC guy, who has impressed me, War Machine (that crazy f**ker, has talent, just needs guidance)

WW-Chris Lytle, Thiago Alves, George Sotiropoulous, Luke Cummo, Matt Arroyo, Ben Saunders, Brock Larson (strong dude).. This said considering IMO opinion Condit is already top 9 or 10 as far as talent is concerned..But a lot of guys could be added here depending on who your top ten consist of.

LW-Clay Guida, Joe Lauzon, Kurt Pelligrino, Nick Diaz, Mac Danzig, Sam Stout are definitely up there to be top ten, right behind Huerta, Edgar, Griffin, Fischer, and all those guys about mid way through the top ten.Jorge Gurgel (has to come around, guy's jiu-jitsu is just too sick), Gray Maynard, Corey Hill (look at how tall that dude is), Manny, Jamie Varner (people should start seeing now that this dude is badass), Terry Etim and Sherron Leggett (WEC guy has a lot of raw talent)
Throw some more out there guys............
disturbed_fighter
2/20/08 2:41:45PM
joege gurgel is a welter i think
wolfman
2/20/08 2:57:00PM

Posted by disturbed_fighter

joege gurgel is a welter i think

No, TS is correct, he is a LW.
cj_striker
2/20/08 3:18:15PM
come on guys, give me some feed back here, agree/disagree, add some of your own. help me out.
richieb19
2/20/08 3:23:18PM
Semtex, Big Foot, Joslin.
wolfman
2/20/08 3:29:25PM

Posted by cj_striker

come on guys, give me some feed back here, agree/disagree, add some of your own. help me out.

I think you have yourself a pretty good list there. I am going to add two names to the MW. I think Kyle Noke and Hector Lombard are definite up and comers. Yeah, I know, Noke just got KTFO by Scott Smith. Yet, I think the guy is for real and we all know Smith has heavy hands so that outcome was not that surprising. IMO Kyle Noke would have won that fight had it gone all three rounds, he is more well rounded as a fighter and I think he could have controlled the fight. Yet, that obviously did not happen. lol So, props to Smith for letting his guard down in the second and swinging for the fences! That was the KO of the night!

Hector Lombard is a tough guy. He is very versatile and a complete fighter. He has the tools to be a force in the UFC's MW division. I hope he is able to come to the UFC. He was supposed to fight Karo at 78 I believe.

fedorwins1
2/20/08 3:55:13PM
Jeff Joslin is a great fighter, sucks that he's had a lot of injuries sidelining him lately though or else he'd be tearing up the WW division in the UFC. Paul Daley is a great fighter also, good striking, good power, and improving grappling. One other fighter I can think of is kind of a local fighter for me, but Eddie Alvarez is a well rounded young fighter who should make some impact at LW since he dropped down.
JWils
2/20/08 4:05:15PM
I know I'm looking forward to seeing Stann vs. Marshall in the WEC. I think Stann could go places if continues to develop more skills.
roger
2/20/08 4:40:07PM
corey hill he uses his reach very well, and has great take down defense, if he would get his ground game better he would be a force to be recan with
cj_striker
2/20/08 4:43:36PM
i agree about Hill in the LW divison roger, he was on my list.
roger
2/20/08 4:46:44PM
Jake O'Brien if he fights all his fights like he did against heath people will have trouble slowing him down can wait to see the Jake O'Brien vs AA fight i got Jake O'Brien winning in the second round ko/tko
richieb19
2/20/08 4:47:46PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Jeff Joslin is a great fighter, sucks that he's had a lot of injuries sidelining him lately though or else he'd be tearing up the WW division in the UFC.

I sincerely believe he would run through the division fairly easily, with the exception perhaps of GSP, Hughes, Karo and BJ. His loss to Koscheck would have been a win on points if the rulest would be less leneant(sp) to Lay N' Pray. Josh wanted nothing of him in the standup, nor on the ground as soon as he retained guard.
fedorwins1
2/20/08 4:55:21PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by fedorwins1

Jeff Joslin is a great fighter, sucks that he's had a lot of injuries sidelining him lately though or else he'd be tearing up the WW division in the UFC.

I sincerely believe he would run through the division fairly easily, with the exception perhaps of GSP, Hughes, Karo and BJ. His loss to Koscheck would have been a win on points if the rulest would be less leneant(sp) to Lay N' Pray. Josh wanted nothing of him in the standup, nor on the ground as soon as he retained guard.

Not only that, but he IMO beat Fitch and a lot of people see it that way too. That was a great fight though, I would love to see a rematch and also a rematch against Koscheck.
richieb19
2/20/08 4:58:49PM

Posted by fedorwins1
Not only that, but he IMO beat Fitch and a lot of people see it that way too. That was a great fight though, I would love to see a rematch and also a rematch against Koscheck.

He easily deserved the UD against Fitch. Also how the hell do you call a time-out because of a bloody lip lol. He beat Goulet also.
richieb19
2/20/08 5:00:07PM

Posted by roger

Jake O'Brien if he fights all his fights like he did against heath people will have trouble slowing him down can wait to see the Jake O'Brien vs AA fight i got Jake O'Brien winning in the second round ko/tko

Jake O'Brien had nothing on Herring. Herring attempted to win the fight numerous times, Jake simply tried to coast to a decision. AA will murder him.
roger
2/20/08 5:06:20PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by roger

Jake O'Brien had nothing on Herring. Herring attempted to win the fight numerous times, Jake simply tried to coast to a decision. AA will murder him.

how did herring try to win the fight he got man handled by jake and it looked like he was trying to finish him and he did the fight between jake and AA will be a damn good fight
Pitbull09
2/20/08 5:08:31PM
Dude, Varner has always been my second favorite guy to watch in the WEC. The guy is ruthless and I admit I felt like they were feeding him to Rob but he went out and won it. VARNER

Plus he has those sweet naturical stars on his chest. If a got a tatoo, it would be one on my right side of what he has.
richieb19
2/20/08 5:09:04PM

Posted by roger
how did herring try to win the fight he got man handled by jake and it looked like he was trying to finish him and he did the fight between jake and AA will be a damn good fight

He tried several times whilst standing, and aside from being mounted after takedowns, he tried on the ground. All Jake did was take HH down, control him, wait for the stand-up and repeat. Herring also had a blown MCL.
roger
2/20/08 5:14:56PM

Posted by richieb19

Posted by roger

He tried several times whilst standing, and aside from being mounted after takedowns, he tried on the ground. All Jake did was take HH down, control him, wait for the stand-up and repeat. Herring also had a blown MCL.

he blew his MCl that sucks thay should have got someone else for him to fight and i did notice that he layed there but i thought that was his game plan to keep it standing so he could get the ko
Bowen50
2/20/08 5:39:48PM
i think you gotta add Alan Belcher to the middleweight list
roger
2/20/08 5:45:28PM
know what i just relized i was think of Tim Boetsch not jake sorry sbout the mix up
wolfman
2/20/08 5:47:07PM

Posted by Pitbull09

Plus he has those sweet naturical stars on his chest. If a got a tatoo, it would be one on my right side of what he has.

Did you seriously just post that?!

jiujitsufreak74
2/20/08 6:10:30PM
i already have Thiago as top ten at WW. nut some names i will add that haven't been mentioned:

Ricardo "Big Dog" Almeida: the man has sick JJ skills and his 3 year break from MMA seems to have kept him in the same shape that he was in when he left. the guy hasn't missed a beat, he has submitted Marquardt already, defeated Chonan and also has a victory over Minowa. with his JJ skills he can be a formidable MW and can defeat most that the UFC has to offer. i say he breaks top 5 by the middle of next year, beats Marquardt again and goes on to have an exciting match with Rich Franklin.

Marcus "Maximus" Aurelio: this guy has the potential to definitely crack the top 10 at LW. all of his losses are from decision, 4 of them are split decisions. Aurelio has great JJ and a vicious submission game. he tapped out Gomi and broke Rich Clementi's nose. i think he will beat spencer fisher and go on to be a force in the UFC LW division. a lot of fighters have to be careful, clay guida almost lost to him, and i am sure that he will make his mark in this year to come.

Demian Maia: i can't believe no one mentioned him yet. Maia is probably the best MW at pure JJ. he brings some serious submission skills to the MW division and i believe he will continue his undefeated streak for a while. Maia will prove himself at MW and i think he will be top 10 by 2009. don't sleep on this fighter, he will make his run soon enough.
fedorwins1
2/20/08 6:43:14PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Demian Maia: i can't believe no one mentioned him yet. Maia is probably the best MW at pure JJ. he brings some serious submission skills to the MW division and i believe he will continue his undefeated streak for a while. Maia will prove himself at MW and i think he will be top 10 by 2009. don't sleep on this fighter, he will make his run soon enough.

Ahh yes how could I forget Maia, he's a very good fighter who can handle pretty much anyone on the ground no problem.
cj_striker
2/20/08 7:30:39PM
Great call on Almeida, Aurelio, and Maia, jiujitsufreak74. I especially like Almeida, he'll definitely be a top ten guy very soon.
Ordep
2/20/08 8:04:12PM

HW - Big Foot

LHW - Marshall... he's been looking good, hopefully he'll continue on track

MW - Maia ....... can't wait until he fight Leites, that should an amazing BJJ show

WW - Marcus Davis, 2009 Champ nuff said, jiujitsufreak called this and I agree 100%

LW - Gray Maynard, If he can put Edgar out I think he'll get Nate next (if he wins over Pellegrino) if not Aurelio/Fisher winner
Pitbull09
2/20/08 11:42:05PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by Pitbull09

Did you seriously just post that?!

I guess im glad i dont get tatoos since my taste doesnt seem to be very good
stock
2/21/08 9:10:02AM

Posted by cj_striker

Of course this post will be open to a lot of speculation, because it all depends on who you consider to be the top ten fighters in each division. To make this post a little easier to answer, I'm just going to use the UFC and WEC (with the exception of two or three guys). Because it's too hard IMO opinion to add Gomi, Fedor, JZ and all the overseas guys to the mix. So who do you feel isn't in the top ten in each divison, combined fighters together (because in reality only Filho and maybe Condit have the right to say they would be top ten UFC guys, seeing how Faber and Curran are screwed due to no FW division in the UFC), but has the talent to one day be a top ten guy. Here's just a few IMO!

HW-Big Foot Silva and Ben Rothwell (already ranked top ten in some people's mind), Jake O'Brien (depending on what I see in the AA fight), Hardonk and Sanchez have the standup, but need a lot of work, and I have to add Kimbo and Lesnar, just because both the guys have rare talent in certain areas, so with the right training they could make waves within a year or two.

LHW-Gouveia, Hamill, Soko, Alexander are obvious, then after Boetsch's performance you have to add him, Brian Stann (WEC guy with killer hands)..just to name a few.

MW-Jason MacDonald, Nate Quarry, Patrick Cote, along with Leben (some may argue are already bottom top teners), Ed Herman, Kalib Starnes, Sonnen (guy has been around awhile, but looks really good as of late), Blas Avena (WEC guy, who has impressed me, War Machine (that crazy f**ker, has talent, just needs guidance)

WW-Chris Lytle, Thiago Alves, George Sotiropoulous, Luke Cummo, Matt Arroyo, Ben Saunders, Brock Larson (strong dude).. This said considering IMO opinion Condit is already top 9 or 10 as far as talent is concerned..But a lot of guys could be added here depending on who your top ten consist of.

LW-Clay Guida, Joe Lauzon, Kurt Pelligrino, Nick Diaz, Mac Danzig, Sam Stout are definitely up there to be top ten, right behind Huerta, Edgar, Griffin, Fischer, and all those guys about mid way through the top ten.Jorge Gurgel (has to come around, guy's jiu-jitsu is just too sick), Gray Maynard, Corey Hill (look at how tall that dude is), Manny, Jamie Varner (people should start seeing now that this dude is badass), Terry Etim and Sherron Leggett (WEC guy has a lot of raw talent)
Throw some more out there guys............

You mentioned a lot of names.

For Heavyweight, I really don't know. Lesnar/Kimbo are big question marks for me. It will be hard to tell until they get a definitive win. I like Rothwell the most on that list.

LHW: I think Wilson Gouveia has the best chance of the guys you mentioned. I don't see Alexander ever being a top dog. He is way too old to start learning a ground game. I would also add Thiago Silva.

MW: Who knows. I would definitely go with Bisping.

WW: I like Condit as well, although think he will have to put on a little muscle mass to compete with the strength of the UFC guys. I also would not like to count out Nick Diaz yet. He has all the skills in the world; just needs to get his head together. I also think Swick could really do well. He had trouble with the cutting in his last fight and was still able to pull out a lathargic win. I think once he gets comfortable with the weight, he will rebound.

LW: There are just so many good guys there. I think you him most of them, although most guys you mentioned are already on most peoples top 10. I really think Varner could be a wrecking crew. His newly found standup makes him a 1-trick pony no longer. If he can hang with Rob Mc. then he can hang with ANY UFC LW. I think Danzig has all the skills to be a great star, but just question his strength to EVER compete with guys like Sherk, Griffin, Edgar, ....
I like Lauzon too, but I will have to say not for 2-3 years. I think he will get owned by Florian, but give him some time and he could be better than Florian. They are just throwing him to the lions too early.