Up And Comers You Think Could Be UFC Champs

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Up And Comers You Think Could Be UFC Champs
BlazinSaddle
3/18/08 7:01:54PM
people who could come over to the UFC or are already in the UFC who have the potential to be champions

to be clear they can be people who have been in the UFC for a long time but preferably the choices should be newcomers or have less than 5 or 10 fights

EDIT: less 5 or 10 fights in the UFC, but yeah i was trying to get some perspective on newcomers so it can be whatever record
xchickox
3/18/08 7:23:32PM
thiago alves
JBatch
3/18/08 7:40:20PM
A few guys that have a ton of potential IMO are.
WW- Alves and Davis
MW- Kampmann
LHW- T. Slva
rabbit915
3/18/08 7:41:19PM
Carlos Condit
billycarnage
3/18/08 7:44:43PM
Frank Edgar
Cladrix
3/18/08 8:05:45PM
Frankie Edgar
Thiago Silva
Thiago Alves
Marcus Davis
NatedawgThaM
3/18/08 8:06:44PM
LW- Frankie Edgar
WW- Jon Koppenhaven(if he goes to the right camp)
MW- Damien Meia
LHW- Thiago Silva
HW- Cain Velasquez
imanidiot777
3/18/08 8:08:35PM
LW - Roger Huerta
WW - Carlos Condit
MW - Not any time soon lol
LHW - Thiago Silva / Houston Alexander with a little ground game help
HW - Brock Lesnar with some sub defense / Cain Velasquez
cowcatcher
3/18/08 8:09:54PM
thiago tavares looks like he has a solid all around game, martin kampmann is another that looks good to me. its tough to make that call with guys with only 5 or so fights under their belts because usually they arent fighting great competition at that point.
juanez13
3/18/08 8:23:25PM
HW- Lesnar (if he learns to defend subs, train some stand up so that he isnt completely off his game, i think he could run through most guys, although his biggest challenges would be the guys at the top right now, Big Nog-Werdum and a few others)

LHW- Lyoto machida (fast, accurate, sharp, and is shaping up to be one of the best of the division)

MW- Kampman (solid striker, good ground game, can defenately make a differnce in the division) thales leites can also do some damage in the MW division, and also think drew McFedries can shake things up if he can get back to his game.

WW- Alves (good subs, good stand up, this kid can defenately be a challanger to the title between the next couple of years)

LW- Eddie Alvarez (they kid impresses me everytime he goes outthere, he has good boxing, solid wresteling background, great Ground and pound and can take a punch, he is defenately a dark horse to win the DREAM tourney, although i'd rather see hansen take the cake, but i wouldnt be surprised if he shows up at the finals)
BlazinSaddle
3/18/08 8:24:53PM
EDIT: what i meant by less than 5 or 10 fights was more less abotu UFC experience, so ppl could put down a somewhat veteren, but more less newcomers without and UFC experience or just some
imanidiot777
3/18/08 8:25:12PM

Posted by juanez13

LHW- Lyoto machida (fast, accurate, sharp, and is shaping up to be one of the best of the division)

Good point forgot about Lyoto, I didn't mention him because I was trying to name less known fighters or people that weren't contenders yet. Good one though.
hotrodttt
3/18/08 8:26:45PM
Yoshihiro Akiyama has the best all around game in MMA with his Excellent Judo, Powerful Striking and a complete ground game, to boot he's the most Athletic Fighter in MMA today.

Eddie Alverez is a a Great Stand Up Fighter with Good Takedowns and an ever improving ground game as we saw against Dida. He's so explosive and will definatly be a Champ one day.

Zelg Galasic is the best Striker in the Middleweight Division, he could definatly Strike with Anderson Silva. He has the best Kicks I've ever seen and he implements them Greatly in his combinations. With a Decent Ground Game and Takedown Defence he could become the next Big Thing.

Siyar Bahazurada has Great Takedowns, Striking and Jui Jitsu, he was winning his Fight with Kazuo Misaki until he got caught in that Guillotine, Big Things will come to him.

billycarnage
3/18/08 8:30:03PM
Fabricio Werdum
I would like to see him fight Nog again.
imanidiot777
3/18/08 8:32:42PM

Posted by hotrodttt

Yoshihiro Akiyama has the best all around game in MMA with his Excellent Judo, Powerful Striking and a complete ground game, to boot he's the most Athletic Fighter in MMA today.

There are a lot of guys who have those skills.

Posted by hotrodttt

Zelg Galasic is the best Striker in the Middleweight Division, he could definatly Strike with Anderson Silva. He has the best Kicks I've ever seen and he implements them Greatly in his combinations. With a Decent Ground Game and Takedown Defence he could become the next Big Thing.

Cung Le definitely has the best striking I have ever seen and speaking of Cung Le that's who I'm making my future middleweight contender.

hotrodttt
3/18/08 8:47:20PM

Posted by imanidiot777

Posted by hotrodttt

There are a lot of guys who have those skills.

Posted by hotrodttt

Cung Le definitely has the best striking I have ever seen and speaking of Cung Le that's who I'm making my future middleweight contender.

Have you ever seen Akiyama Fight? You don't know what you're missing, he is so quick and Athletic and could beat anyone given the chance at 185, he is So Strong and could beat on anyone.

As for Cung Le being the best Striker I would say close but he doesn't really utalize his hands and just uses Kicks.
Pookie
3/18/08 8:54:15PM
akiyama put a hole in denis kangs nose with a a jab
Pookie
3/18/08 8:55:05PM
Demian maia and frank edgar
wolfman
3/18/08 9:23:40PM

Posted by Pookie

akiyama put a hole in denis kangs nose with a a jab

He sure did. Dude has some serious power.
chickmagnet
3/18/08 10:16:34PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

LW- Frankie Edgar
WW- Jon Koppenhaven(if he goes to the right camp)
MW- Damien Meia
LHW- Thiago Silva
HW- Cain Velasquez

Koppenhaver?? no way, no time soon anyway...I can agree with Edgar,Meia, and T. Silva. but Koppenhaver wont have a great chance in the UFC for being the champ, GSP is still only 26 or somethin and the WW division is stacked with young fighters, thats basically sayin if Jon is at the right camp he could hang with Diego, Kos, Davis, Alves, Burkman, Swick, Fitch, Karo, P. Taylor and GSP? No way....Koppenhaver would have a good chance in the WEC though but not in the UFC.
Playground_Samurai
3/18/08 10:17:26PM
I'll go with a couple guys that are already signed to the UFC that I would consider actual "up and comers". So if I believe they have already established themselves as legit contenders, I will not mention them.

LW - Nate Diaz...I think his upcoming fight with Kurt will tell us alot....Manny G and Gray Maynard are good for this list also.
WW - Dustin Hazelett...And even though Chris Lytle has been around for a while now, I believe he's a completely different fighter than he was about 3-4 fights ago. I'd put him on this list.
MW - Demian Maia
LHW - A lot of established fighters in this division. I'd go with Thiago Silva. Maybe Matt Hamill or Tim Boetsh would be good for the list also.
HW - Brock Lesnar. No denying the potential there.
Nightmare27
3/19/08 1:02:17AM
If he stays with it Roger Gracie will be a serious threat for somebodies HW belt in the years to come. He already has the ground game, time will only tell how the rest of his game comes along.
loller90278
3/19/08 3:39:13AM
tomazs drawl in 1 year will be a contendor for the LHW belt i think. that guy's got mad skills with his hands and good GnP.
skatenate
3/19/08 5:36:10AM
Brock Lesnar, Roger Huerta
MartinKillMcGill
3/19/08 4:10:14PM
Tyson griffin