Ever had to use your combat experience in real life?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Ever had to use your combat experience in real life?
EON
7/12/08 2:07:57AM
I can only think of 2 offically, I dont think it counts if you get into fights when your young or with no combat experience since you were never properly trained unless it was a vigilante situation or a must fight situation.

So using any of the facets of MMA, JJ, Kickboxing, Wrestling, or what have you, has anybody ever had to?
mkiv9secsupra
7/12/08 2:16:44AM
i guess i never really HAD to but i when i drink its hard not to get pissed. Generally at bars watching UFC events with other loud idiots my boxing seems to emerge and its never my f'ing fault! its usually my bro that shoots off his mouth. thats happened quite a few times in the past couple years. thankfully the cops around here arent to concerned with two dudes brawling so no convicitions of anything yet.
Pookie
7/12/08 2:45:33AM
Yeah, ive been in a few street fights where my training has helped... i dont train much anymore but i used to do boxing briefly, and Muay thai for a few years.

Ive been jumped for my basketball before by two dudes, luckily where im from alot of the people who do things like that cant fight well and usually show up in huge packs of people to compensate. I had a black eye a sore jaw and bruising on my cheek but i was able to win that fight with ALOT of footwork, leg kicks, a right, and a single leg that luckily dumped the last guy on his head.

Other than that all my fighting experience has either been in the gym, with friends, or having to do with school in some way. Luckily in school the only people that know how to defend a takedown are on the wrestling team. , guillotine chokes are really easy to get when people dont know to watch out for them.
Jason-plata
7/12/08 2:52:02AM
Only once at a local bar. I chocked out this gangster dude.
Manfred
7/12/08 3:28:25AM
I tried Hunt's flying ass drop on my brother when I was a kid. Does that count?
EON
7/12/08 4:08:59AM

Posted by Manfred

if it worked then yeah
joshryanshepherd
7/12/08 4:47:29AM

Posted by EON

Posted by Manfred

if it worked then yeah

i hear that josh barnett said to hunt that theirs no flyin ass drops, but i diddnt know he acctully did them. is their a Video?
Manfred
7/12/08 4:53:50AM

Posted by joshryanshepherd

Posted by EON

Posted by Manfred

if it worked then yeah

i hear that josh barnett said to hunt that theirs no flyin ass drops, but i diddnt know he acctully did them. is their a Video?

Yeah, PRIDE Shockwave 2004 (I think) He did it against Wandy.
joshryanshepherd
7/12/08 6:30:52AM

Posted by Manfred

Posted by joshryanshepherd

Posted by EON

Posted by Manfred

if it worked then yeah

Yeah, PRIDE Shockwave 2004 (I think) He did it against Wandy.

k thanks gotta go watch. ( i did always hear about his fight with wand but never went to watch it. silly i guess, me missin out on the ass drops and all...lol)
Mastodon2
7/12/08 8:30:14AM
Not since I started training Muay Thai. I think of the benefits of training in a Martial art, and something that should be impressed on all students of the arts, is that yes, the learned student now has the ability to easily deal with thugs on the street, but just because he can does not mean he should.

Once you know you can defend yourself in a fight, you should be more confident in finding other ways to solve disputes. I for one, would not want someone to sustain the kind of injuries a Thai boxer could give them unless they absolutely had to.
Khaos
7/12/08 10:21:20AM
Some guy was ******* with me all day, I had some food I was eating, he smacked it out of my hands and to the ground, so I got up in his face, but I'm rather sensible, he's 17 or 18 and stronger then me, I'm 15 and would probably get me ass kicked, so I walked away and called my then girlfriend, 'bout minutes later the same guy comes up takes my phone out of my hand and start runnng, I got in front of him, and sce I'm terrified of getting hit, I pulled guard, the guy was shitfaced, so I was able to get his back with ease, I put on a Rear Naked Choke, but was pulled of by some of my friends before I could choke him out.

For the record, I have no formal MMA or JJ training, but I do own some JJ books(Eddie Bravo:Unleashed for example) that I study everyday.

Also, I was able to call my girlfriend back so she didn't think I hung up on her like some asshole or something.
Rush
7/12/08 10:26:54AM
Never had to and hope I never will have to. However, I pity the person that lays a hand on myself or any member of my family. I will probably send them to the hospital with at least one broken bone or ligament.
loller90278
7/12/08 2:45:10PM

Posted by Khaos

Some guy was ******* with me all day, I had some food I was eating, he smacked it out of my hands and to the ground, so I got up in his face, but I'm rather sensible, he's 17 or 18 and stronger then me, I'm 15 and would probably get me ass kicked, so I walked away and called my then girlfriend, 'bout minutes later the same guy comes up takes my phone out of my hand and start runnng, I got in front of him, and sce I'm terrified of getting hit, I pulled guard, the guy was shitfaced, so I was able to get his back with ease, I put on a Rear Naked Choke, but was pulled of by some of my friends before I could choke him out.

For the record, I have no formal MMA or JJ training, but I do own some JJ books(Eddie Bravo:Unleashed for example) that I study everyday.

Also, I was able to call my girlfriend back so she didn't think I hung up on her like some asshole or something.

you can't call yourself a man if you've never gotten hit before.
postman
7/12/08 4:12:07PM
You live anywhere near greensburg? You can come train at my Gym.
EON
7/12/08 4:22:58PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Not since I started training Muay Thai. I think of the benefits of training in a Martial art, and something that should be impressed on all students of the arts, is that yes, the learned student now has the ability to easily deal with thugs on the street, but just because he can does not mean he should.

Once you know you can defend yourself in a fight, you should be more confident in finding other ways to solve disputes. I for one, would not want someone to sustain the kind of injuries a Thai boxer could give them unless they absolutely had to.

yeah thats why i said

"unless it was a vigilante situation or a must fight situation"
asterisk
7/12/08 11:13:35PM
I like to use the Lay N Pray on unsuspecting hot women
misses1112
7/13/08 12:51:02AM
does mexican judo count?

i use it on a daily basis... mostly on senior citizens and the morbidly obese
SpiderSilva
7/13/08 12:55:41AM
A guy said he was gonna kill me and my wife at a bar because I was talking to some dude that stole his girl went out side to see if I was gonna die that night and broke his arm turns out he was just some fat **** who thought he was bad ass I trained BJJ in Boulder through a Renzo Gracie school for 6 years funny thing is the guy looked like Cabbage and too this day when he pops up at some fight my wife freeks and thinks Cabbage is gonna kill us

oh yeah never fight in front of family it the worst thing for them to see
EON
7/13/08 1:14:54AM

Posted by misses1112

does mexican judo count?

i use it on a daily basis... mostly on senior citizens and the morbidly obese

Not sure if thats a fart joke or not
Taylor8766
7/13/08 5:56:30PM
Got in a couple fights, I've taken some boxing and judo classes. The last guy I fought ended up with a concussion, and lost 20% of his eye sight
Jackelope
7/13/08 7:44:23PM
I've been in some stupid scuffles around the bars, but I've never actually had to go full out on someone. Mostly just throwing a punch here or there to get a dude off one of my friends and then drag a friend out of the fray.

I did a couple boxing smokers while I was in the Army and came out on top in them. One of them I knocked the dude out in like 5 seconds- that was pretty cool.

Other than that just training around the gym and inter-school matches. I'm kind of curious to see how a real fight would go, though. Then again, I'm not itching to kick someone's ass or anything like that. Even if I put in a submission or knocked someone out I wouldn't press the matter and would probably let them go once they realized they were up against someone who knows what he's doing.
JimmieDD
7/13/08 9:32:00PM
Yes.. outside a bar.. you can punch a lot harder when you train..