Columbus Hosts UFC 68 - success!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Columbus Hosts UFC 68 - success!
Brick
3/6/07 6:57:21PM
Here in Columbus, we had a great weekend around the UFC 68 event, and the Arnold Fitness Expo was in town. The UFC event was a huge success as described in the attached article, should help us get UFC back to the midwest for future shows. Anybody else that went to the show in Columbus have any thoughts? Even got a chance to run into Andrei at the Arnold.

http://www.newarkadvocate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070305/SPORTS/703050323
Gogoplata
3/6/07 10:24:03PM
I was there this weekend as well. I came up from Cincinnati to watch my first UFC event ever. Was very happy to see Matt Hamill and Rich Franklin on the card as well as what turned out to be an unbelievable main event. Hopefully Rich was not joking when he said they could do the Middleweight Title rematch in Cincy. That would be freaking unreal. I'd like to see Hamill v. Bisping on that card, too.

Nationwide Arena has been good to me. A TOOL show and the UFC within a span of 6 months. Tried to take some pics but they turned out shitty for the most part. Have one of Randy with his belt on right after the main event and one of the empty cage from the view of our seats. Probably the best one out of the bunch. I'll post them if I get a chance.

All UFC stops from here on have Columbus to live up to and that is now a TALL task.

WAR UFC IN CINCY!

jocksmall
3/7/07 12:10:55AM
i will come if ufc comes to cinci
corpsegrinder
3/7/07 12:11:40AM
I came down from MI about 5.5 hours away and it was worth it. we had seats in the upstairs press floor. I saw UFC 52 at the MGM grand and I thought that was a big crowd for MMA but 68's crowd was twice the size but there was a lot of ignorant booing even Matt Hughes.
Gogoplata
3/7/07 1:16:31PM

Posted by corpsegrinder

I came down from MI about 5.5 hours away and it was worth it. we had seats in the upstairs press floor. I saw UFC 52 at the MGM grand and I thought that was a big crowd for MMA but 68's crowd was twice the size but there was a lot of ignorant booing even Matt Hughes.

I agree, there was a lot of ignorant booing but it didn't last for long. The most booing happened during the Gleison Tibau v. Jason Dent fight. I booed Matt Hughes during his entrance because I can't stand the dude, but I never boo when they're on the ground. It's part of MMA, if people want to see boxing they should go to an f'n boxing event.
Brick
3/7/07 4:33:33PM
I hate booing with a passion. No so much booing of particular fighters (allthough that also strikes me a little WWE-ish), but I absolutely cannot stand when people boo when it goes to the ground for more than 20 seconds. Let the booers try that.

Got a couple of decent pics from the luxury box we were in, one of Randy smacking Tim, and another of Rich jacking up MacDonald. Tried to post them but they are too big to attach apparently.
corpsegrinder
3/8/07 11:18:54PM
A luxury box would have been nice, but then I wouldnt have been laughing at the guys behind me talking about how Chuck Liddell killed a guy in a fight once.
CWall33
3/9/07 10:11:10AM

Posted by Brick

I hate booing with a passion.

Kinda pissed me off when the "booers" were booing Silva after the Franklin fight. You just KNOW that cro-cop will get booed when he fights Couture. If he wins, he will be the most hated man if the UFC to these bozos. And if Fedor ever comes to the UFC and lays waste to the whole HW div? Can you imagine the hatred these drunk rednecks will spew at him, a Russian?

Looking forward to seeing these guys fight in the UFC...not looking forward to the reception they will get.

On topic: Didn't make it to the event, but I went to the weigh-ins. Massive crowd. Didn't meet anyone or get any cool pictures. Must join UFC Fight Club next time they come to town.
Brick
3/9/07 2:15:11PM
I was kind of hoping they were booing him because of the Franklin home-town-Ohio-boy factor, but you are probably right. Other than that, I'm not sure what Silvia ever did to deserve getting booed, except absolutely kick ass and take names in the ring, which is his job. Probably as you say, a redneck thing. It is an unfortunate fact that we share some of our fan base demographic with the WWE, and those fans are probably bringing some of their behavior into our sport.