Colorado commission confirms Shields' suspension, UFC 150 win changed to no-contest

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Colorado commission confirms Shields' suspension, UFC 150 win changed to no-contest
prophecy033
10/15/12 2:22:33PM
Jake Shields' win over Ed Herman at UFC 150 has been changed to a no-contest, and the fighter has also been fined $5,675.

A disciplinary complaint from the Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies' Boxing Commission also confirms a six-month suspension for Shields, who announced this past Friday that he'd tested positive for a banned substance.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) obtained a copy of the complaint, which became effective today. It did not disclose the substance for which Shields tested positive

LINK
grappler0000
10/15/12 2:31:29PM
I'm assuming that means PED (real and/or perceived).
Kpro
10/15/12 2:45:31PM
Well he said after the Herman fight he was still 6-7 pounds of muscle away from being the right weight on his move back to MW so it's definitely not of the PED variety that would assist in cutting weight. But he's in the process of bulking back up to being a 185er so that's the perfect time to be taking something for mass building if that ends up being what it is.

Personally if I was a pro fighter, I'd cycle oral mass/recovery PED's between fights if I was moving up a division to speed up the process in double time. Gotta do your homework and know how long it stays in your system though, if that's even the type of dirty test it was. I'm curious to hear what it is, just because Shields is one of the last guys I would've expected it from.
Kpro
10/15/12 2:50:30PM
Funnily enough, the Colorado law on prohibited substances is anything other than water or a sports drink during an event so in that state you can techniclly be fined and suspended for drinking chocolate milk while you walk out to the cage.

Obviously it's not something light like that by his apology, but it's strange the way some of these states are set up.
george112
10/15/12 2:53:58PM

Posted by Kpro

Funnily enough, the Colorado law on prohibited substances is anything other than water or a sports drink during an event so in that state you can techniclly be fined and suspended for drinking chocolate milk while you walk out to the cage.

Obviously it's not something light like that by his apology, but it's strange the way some of these states are set up.

I noticed that to.

Consistency is key.

In the end though Jake needed to do just a tad more homework
Kpro
10/15/12 5:23:11PM
The picture doesn't get old, it will find it's way into ever Shields thread until this blows over.

bjj1605
10/15/12 6:18:02PM
Now I really want to know what it is.

I might have been wrong before.

The severity of the punishment makes it look like it was a PED. At least I HOPE they wouldn't make this big of a deal out of pot.
ry_dawg63
10/15/12 6:56:26PM
they gave a year suspenion to nick for testing possitive for pot. but i doubt its the case here.
FlashyG
10/15/12 7:16:39PM

Posted by ry_dawg63

they gave a year suspenion to nick for testing possitive for pot. but i doubt its the case here.

Diaz got a year for a second positive test for pot, he got 6 months the first time around.
tallica62
10/15/12 7:29:37PM
Do I get my fantasy money and points back that I lost?