Colorado boy floats away in balloon

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Colorado boy floats away in balloon
emfleek
10/15/09 3:17:33PM
This is crazy! YOu can stream the live video @ CNN.com

LINK
emfleek
10/15/09 3:27:12PM
This is friggin' crazy!!! This 6-year old kid has been flying around inside this experimental balloon for nearly 90 minutes. At times, it looks like he's flying at least 80mph!
grappler0000
10/15/09 3:32:12PM

Posted by emfleek

This is friggin' crazy!!! This 6-year old kid has been flying around inside this experimental balloon for nearly 90 minutes. At times, it looks like he's flying at least 80mph!

I think they said it was only about 30mph, but with the camera moving, it sure makes it look a lot faster. I bet he's freezing his ass off.
emfleek
10/15/09 3:35:47PM
30mph is definitely a little better but when you're that high, I guess it really doesn't matter.

Apparently, they're worried the boy may have already fallen out.
emfleek
10/15/09 3:42:10PM
The balloon has landed...and there's no one inside.

Hopefully this kid's okay...
pv3Hpv3p
10/15/09 6:01:19PM
From what I've heard, there's a sherrif's debuty that saw something plummet from the balloon... Unfortunatley they think that it was the basket that the kid was riding in... I really hope he's just hiding in a closet, scared that his dad's mad at him for messing with his stuff, but they sure aren't making it sound too optomistic
grappler0000
10/15/09 6:09:22PM
Good News...he's been found and is alive.
kopower
10/15/09 6:12:01PM
Good to hear. Has it been confirmed he's alright? In my car so I haven't heard any updates yet
emfleek
10/15/09 6:47:09PM

Posted by kopower

Good to hear. Has it been confirmed he's alright? In my car so I haven't heard any updates yet

He's fine. He was hiding in a box in the attic of his house.
breakdown5
10/15/09 7:24:35PM
papercut
10/15/09 8:17:13PM
reading an article about this incident and the family I think it was just a publicity stunt. I mean honestly, they had the police AND military involved. and they delayed planes for some dumbass kid decided he wanted to play a prank. I hope they have to pay a fine or something. for the kid.
DCRage
10/15/09 8:32:02PM
And they've actually been on TV already-supposedly they were on "Wife Swap" (twice), wouldn't know because I don't watch that stuff. Aparently the boy was upset about dad yelling at him so he went into the attic to hide.
emfleek
10/15/09 11:10:36PM

Posted by papercut

reading an article about this incident and the family I think it was just a publicity stunt. I mean honestly, they had the police AND military involved. and they delayed planes for some dumbass kid decided he wanted to play a prank. I hope they have to pay a fine or something. for the kid.

I think you're dead on. This has publicity stunt written all over it.

"Hey, world! Look at our super cool weather balloon!"

I, too, hope they get fined if that's the case. They cost the government a lot of money today...
ncordless
10/16/09 1:47:32AM
I think the family's eagerness to entertain the media immediately after he was found definitely casts some doubt on their intentions. Most people would be ashamed to have done what they have today and the time and money that has been spent. Instead they have been on every news show that will have them.
ncordless
10/19/09 10:24:34AM
Pwned
emfleek
10/19/09 10:25:33AM
The sad thing is...

After their legal issues are settled, they will *still* more than likely get some sort of reality TV deal.
Rush
10/19/09 11:21:43AM

Posted by emfleek

The sad thing is...

After their legal issues are settled, they will *still* more than likely get some sort of reality TV deal.

They probably need it to pay all the fines and legal fees.
DCRage
10/19/09 1:20:27PM
That show could be a while off if they're convicted on the most serious charges. The maximum punishment there is 6 years.
emfleek
10/19/09 1:36:07PM

Posted by DCRage

That show could be a while off if they're convicted on the most serious charges. The maximum punishment there is 6 years.

I'm betting there will be a plea bargain. No jail time. Fines. Community service, maybe. Probation.
ncordless
10/20/09 12:09:37PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by DCRage

I'm betting there will be a plea bargain. No jail time. Fines. Community service, maybe. Probation.

TV commercial warning against the ills of being an attention whore.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
DCRage
12/23/09 12:54:26PM
Bump...They are being sentenced, this is still breaking:
Richard (father) gets 90 days in jail. That includes 60 days of work release that will let him pursue work as a construction contractor while doing his time.
Mayumi (mother) gets 20 days in jail. She'll serve her time after Richard does his.
Both are also on 4 years probation. They cannot profit from the spectacle in any way during that time.
Prosecutors are still seeking to recover the costs of the search and investigation which they say could exceed $50,000. An earlier article I read put the fighre somewhere around $46-48K. And while it's very unlikely, there is an extremely slim chance this could resort in Mayumi being deported to her native Japan. No mention of that today though, so they might've avoided that with the plea deal.

Edit: More details...
Richard starts a 30-day jail term on January 11. The last 60 days are under work release-he can leave to work in the day but must spend the nights in jail.
Mayumi's 20-day term is flexible, meaning, for example, she can serve 10 weekends to insure the kids are taken care of.
The Heenes' probation will be revoked if they are found to be profiting from any book, TV, movie or other deals related to the stunt.
emfleek
12/29/09 9:33:03AM

Posted by DCRage

The Heenes' probation will be revoked if they are found to be profiting from any book, TV, movie or other deals related to the stunt.

I'm glad this was included in the sentencing. We don't have to hear about these idiots for (at least) the next 4 years.

Awesome.