When college football rivalries go too far.

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » When college football rivalries go too far.
FlashyG
2/17/11 1:43:25PM

Auburn University trees at historic Toomer’s Corner were deliberately poisoned, according to college officials. The oaks trees were in an area where fans of Auburn University’s Tigers have long celebrated big wins. Hundreds gathered there after the Tigers won the national football championship on Jan. 10. The university said an herbicide was used in large amounts to the soil around the two trees. The trees will likely die, officials said. Auburn officials discovered the poison after taking soil samples on Jan. 28. A unknown caller dialed into a local radio show and said he had poisoned the more than 130-year-old trees. "The weekend after the Iron Bowl, I went to Auburn, Ala., and I poisoned the Toomer's trees," the caller told The Paul Finebaum Radio Show. In that game, Auburn defeated longtime rival Alabama and went on to defeat Oregon in the championship. Auburn quarterback Cam Newton also won the Heisman trophy. The caller said he used a herbicide named Spike 80DF, also known as tebuthiuron, and said the trees "definitely will die."

The accused culprit is a 62 year old Former State Trooper named Harvey Updyke. What kind of a failure at life do you have to be to think this was a good idea?

Doesn't look good for their chances to save the trees, and now the herbicide could potentially taint the ground water. That could lead to some serious charges against Mr. Updyke

Story
gartface
2/17/11 1:49:25PM
I'm absolutely disgusted as an Auburn fan and as a human being in general. This isn't some statue that can be recreated or a building that can be painted over. This goes far beyond vandalism and rivalry. This is just downright disgusting. Those trees are older than any human on the face of this Earth. I hope he gets serious charges levied against him.

I saw on a Facebook page an idea from a fan that interested me. He said as a show of good faith and no ill will, have the Alabama team and Nick Saban come plant the new trees.

I know plenty of die hard Alabama fans that would never even think about doing something as heinous as this. Just shows the pure stupidity of some people, and a former cop at that.
mkiv9secsupra
2/17/11 1:55:16PM

Karma at its best...
gartface
2/17/11 2:53:59PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Karma at its best...

Karma for what exactly?
emfleek
2/17/11 3:30:17PM

Posted by gartface

I hope he gets serious charges levied against him.

Even if he doesn't, he'll end up wishing he hadn't done this. Unfortunately, I think he may have to end up fearing for safety of himself and even his family. There are some extreme fanatic nutbags out there as evidenced by the original story.
RyanC
2/17/11 4:33:27PM
His punishment should be that he has to drink the same herbicide.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/17/11 6:10:47PM
While I don't agree with poisoning the ground, I think too much is being made of this. Fanaticism is part of the game. USC actually removes Tommy from corner and places him under lock and key during rivalry week. Bevo (Texas' mascot) was cooked and served.

Football is ubiquitous in the south, especially in Alabama where they really only have two college teams to cheer for; Alabama and Auburn. People are going to be pissed surrounding Auburn & the NCAA's very sketch way of dealing with Cam Newton. I'm not really surprised something like this happened.

It doesn't mean that I agree with it, but destroying something that's precious to your rivals has been part of the long standing tradition that helped make some of these rivalries as great as they are.

It's not just the games on the field. Fans getting crazy, kidnapping mascots, destroying property, defacing Heritage Halls, etc..all helped make these rivalries as intense as they are.

Like it or not, stuff like this is the reason that college football is so great. It's part of its past.

People take out disrespectful billboards after big wins. TCU boosters did it after being Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. Bands make obscene and disrespectful gestures during their performances.

For Pete's sake, TOTOTTILSJUMB once did a skit at BYU during halftime where the band manager knelt down and proposed to like 5 different Dollies while the announcer referred to marriage as "the sacred bond that exists between a man and a woman... and a woman... and a woman... and a woman... and a woman."

They're banned from the state of Oregon.

It's never cool when it happens to your team, but I'm not really all broken up about this because I realize that it happens. Most people are usually charged with a crime and learn their lesson. It's really the onus of the universities to make sure that they help quell these rivalries and that the important places of the university are under constant surveillance. Doesn't excuse the actions, but it's just rivalry football at its finest.
warglory
2/17/11 6:30:58PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

While I don't agree with poisoning the ground, I think too much is being made of this. Fanaticism is part of the game. USC actually removes Tommy from corner and places him under lock and key during rivalry week. Bevo (Texas' mascot) was cooked and served.

Football is ubiquitous in the south, especially in Alabama where they really only have two college teams to cheer for; Alabama and Auburn. People are going to be pissed surrounding Auburn & the NCAA's very sketch way of dealing with Cam Newton. I'm not really surprised something like this happened.

It doesn't mean that I agree with it, but destroying something that's precious to your rivals has been part of the long standing tradition that helped make some of these rivalries as great as they are.

It's not just the games on the field. Fans getting crazy, kidnapping mascots, destroying property, defacing Heritage Halls, etc..all helped make these rivalries as intense as they are.

Like it or not, stuff like this is the reason that college football is so great. It's part of its past.

People take out disrespectful billboards after big wins. TCU boosters did it after being Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. Bands make obscene and disrespectful gestures during their performances.

For Pete's sake, TOTOTTILSJUMB once did a skit at BYU during halftime where the band manager knelt down and proposed to like 5 different Dollies while the announcer referred to marriage as "the sacred bond that exists between a man and a woman... and a woman... and a woman... and a woman... and a woman."

They're banned from the state of Oregon.

It's never cool when it happens to your team, but I'm not really all broken up about this because I realize that it happens. Most people are usually charged with a crime and learn their lesson. It's really the onus of the universities to make sure that they help quell these rivalries and that the important places of the university are under constant surveillance. Doesn't excuse the actions, but it's just rivalry football at its finest.

Sorry man, I understand your reasoning, but there's just no justification for this. Sport is supposed to be fun, and when you take stuff to the next level like this, then it becomes obsessive and ludicrous, and is no longer under the tenets of jest and rivalry.
FlashyG
2/17/11 6:33:23PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn
but it's just rivalry football at its finest.

If thats a rivalry at its finest, people need serious mental help in Alabama.

"Bevo" based on my reading was cooked and eaten by his own school so its hardly the same and it certainly posed no risk to the student body and surrounding area.

This guy poured poison on campus and now they are worried it will taint the ground water. I don't know what the health risks are from the herbicide but I'd be pretty pissed if I had any gardens in the area that share the water table.

Its not like it was some group of students playing a prank either like in many of the other instances you mentioned, it was a 62 year old former State Trooper who never even went to the school.

gartface
2/17/11 6:35:01PM
"Gary Keever, a horticulture professor, said Thursday that Spike 80DF can sometimes inhibit growth for as long as seven years."

You can fix a statue, you can replace a steer, but killing 130 year old oak trees and poisoning the soil all around it isn't exactly fixable. Above all else, is this not a public safety issue? When a statue gets vandalized, or when Bevo was eaten, no one was in danger. Sure the steer was killed, but it was eaten, which if I'm not mistaken, is quite common to do in Texas.

We're talking about monuments that aren't replaceable and the tainting of all the vegetation around it and possibly the water in the ground. I'd say this is pretty heinous whichever way you want to look at it.

And you're right Fleek. If the cops don't put him away for a while, someone just as crazy as him on the other side of the state is going to have their way with him. And I'd think they'd much rather like it that way.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/17/11 6:48:40PM

Posted by warglory

Sorry man, I understand your reasoning, but there's just no justification for this. Sport is supposed to be fun, and when you take stuff to the next level like this, then it becomes obsessive and ludicrous, and is no longer under the tenets of jest and rivalry.

What I'm trying to make you understand, and I'm not sure how big of a college sports nut you are, but you're not going to find too many true college fans that haven't seen or heard something like this before.

It's going to happen. It is, whether people like it or not, what makes college sports so great. This sh*t doesn't happen in the NFL, NBA, MLB, or NHL. Only in college sports.

ESPN didn't make these commercials for no reason

This guy ONLY wanted to be the mascot to do this to his rival

The Cougar pissed of the Oregon student section

It *IS* college football. As I mentioned, TOTOTTILSJUMB took a shot a the entire Mormon population by calling them all polygamists. They're banned from the state of Oregon for calling their logging practices in to question. At Notre Dame their drum major led a halfime show in Habit and directed the band with a wooden cross.

Texas A&M's border collie, Reveille, was kidnapped and held hostage. Texas' massive steer was kidnapped and COOKED.

People are pissy because a "living" thing *MIGHT* die. It happens ALL the time. Never mind the assault that occurs on mascots, the religious taunting and stereotypes, animal cruelty that occur all the damn time. It's just part of the game.
gartface
2/17/11 7:04:58PM
Because of this idiot, I'll more than likely never get to TP Toomer's in my lifetime.
FlashyG
2/17/11 7:14:59PM
This kidnapped Steer? are you talking about the original BEVO?

I've read about the history of their mascot and according to my reading he wasn't kidnapped. He was cooked by the University of Texas and served to the Varsity Students.

Story

The worst done to him was branding 13-0 on his hind, which was later turned into BEVO and what spawned his name.

I get that people are passionate about college sports but I'm not sure how you can defend this guy with a straight face.
BigMattZeus
2/17/11 7:39:07PM

ESPN didn't make these commercials for no reason

This guy ONLY wanted to be the mascot to do this to his rival

The Cougar pissed of the Oregon student section

It *IS* college football. As I mentioned, TOTOTTILSJUMB took a shot a the entire Mormon population by calling them all polygamists. They're banned from the state of Oregon for calling their logging practices in to question. At Notre Dame their drum major led a halfime show in Habit and directed the band with a wooden cross.

Texas A&M's border collie, Reveille, was kidnapped and held hostage. Texas' massive steer was kidnapped and COOKED.

People are pissy because a "living" thing *MIGHT* die. It happens ALL the time. Never mind the assault that occurs on mascots, the religious taunting and stereotypes, animal cruelty that occur all the damn time. It's just part of the game.

This all just sounds like a good time! Roll Tide

It's all fun and games till Auburn has to suffer... Now all of your children will have a real reason to hate Alabama, other than the overt racism. I agree that this guy took it too far, but it's usually the psycopaths who do. Roll Tide
BlueSkiesBurn
2/17/11 7:46:30PM

Posted by FlashyG

This kidnapped Steer? are you talking about the original BEVO?

I've read about the history of their mascot and according to my reading he wasn't kidnapped. He was cooked by the University of Texas and served to the Varsity Students.

Story

The worst done to him was branding 13-0 on his hind, which was later turned into BEVO and what spawned his name.

I get that people are passionate about college sports but I'm not sure how you can defend this guy with a straight face.

I'm not defending HIM. I'm simply saying that I'm not upset about it and I don't care. Most of my friends don't care, either. Most people I know don't care. Since this story broke, no less than 15 people that I know who are college football nuts have called this "rivalry at its finest." Everyone thinks the guy is an idiot, but the act, itself, doesn't bother them.

Auburn fans are making a mountain out of a molehill. They're saying "what if people had been hurt?" Guess what, they weren't. Quit using what if's to make it worse than it actually was. I hate that.

My question is this, Auburn has cameras on Toomer's Corner, how did they not notice the HUGE undertaking that it would have taken to poison the entire ground surrounding that area? It's not like you can just act like you're dumping out your cup and kill the entire land surrounding that. It would have taken a massive effort and a lot of poison.

The trees haven't even died yet and people are passing it off like they are absolutely going to. When they do, it will suck for Auburn fans. I have a sneaking suspicion, however, that they're milking the hell out of this and MAGICALLY Toomer's Corner will be saved by a miracle experimental treatment that has a 1-1,000,000 chance of working, but does.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/17/11 7:56:11PM
Your first clue that too much is being made out of this story: The man was only charged with a misdemeanor of Criminal Mischief.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/17/11 8:01:32PM
Here's a real story of a rivalry gone wrong

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- To some Oklahoma football fans, there are things that just aren't done in the heart of Sooner Nation, and one of them is to walk into a bar wearing a Texas Longhorns T-shirt.

That's exactly what touched off a bloody skirmish that left a Texas-shirt-wearing fan nearly castrated and an Oklahoma fan facing aggravated assault charges that could put him in prison for up to five years.

The shocking case has set off a raging debate in this football-crazed region about the extreme passions behind a bitter rivalry. Some legal observers have even questioned whether this case could ever truly have an impartial jury.

"I've actually heard callers on talk radio say that this guy deserved what he got for wearing a Texas T-shirt into a bar in the middle of Sooner country," said Irven Box, an attorney in this city 20 miles from Oklahoma's campus in Norman.

According to police, 32-year-old Texas fan Brian Christopher Thomas walked into Henry Hudson's Pub on June 17 wearing a Longhorns T-shirt and quickly became the focus of football "trash talk" from another regular, 53-year-old Oklahoma fan Allen Michael Beckett.

Thomas told police that when he decided to leave and went to the bar to pay his tab, Beckett grabbed him in the crotch, pulled him to the ground and wouldn't let go, even as bar patrons tried to break it up. When the two men were separated, Thomas looked down and realized the extent of his injuries.

"He could see both of his testicles hanging on the outside of his body," said Thomas' attorney, Carl Hughes. "He was wearing a pair of white shorts, which made it that much worse."

It took more than 60 stitches to close the wound, and police interviewed Thomas at a nearby hospital emergency room.

Beckett's attorney, Billy Bock, concedes that his client commented about Thomas' shirt, but said it was just good-natured ribbing and that he apologized to Thomas when it appeared to upset the Texas fan. Later, Bock said Thomas approached his client at the bar and threatened him.

"My client is a little man, and this guy [Thomas] is 30 to 40 pounds bigger than him," Bock said. "He's bigger, stronger, younger and probably faster, and he aggressively leaned in and touched my client and threatened to beat him up. ... My guy was defending himself and just took control of the situation.

" Thomas' attorney disputes Beckett's version.

"That's total malarkey," Hughes said. "My client never said a word to him. He got up to pay and when he paid and left a tip, the guy grabbed him."

Beckett, a 53-year-old church deacon, federal auditor and former Army combat veteran, has pleaded not guilty. His next court appearance comes Oct. 4, two days before the Sooners and Horns tangle in their annual football game at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

Thomas, who once lived in Houston and became a Texas fan during the heyday of star running back Earl Campbell, is still recovering from his injuries but has returned to work as a meat cutter at a Sam's Club warehouse store.

Like Beckett and Thomas, many fans of the two college squads never attended either university, but have come to identify so closely with these teams that they attach banners to their cars, wear team colors on game day and even have programmed their car horns to play school fight songs.

Dallas police Sgt. Andy Harvey, a 12-year veteran of the force, said it's not uncommon for fights to break out between fans of the two schools.

"People are passionate about their teams and their universities, and that's a good thing," he said, "but when you mix a real passionate sports fan and then get a little alcohol in there, sometimes it's not a good mix."

On both Texas and Oklahoma fan Web sites, boosters trade familiar tales of having their car tires slashed or windshields smashed for sporting the opposing team's sticker in enemy territory.

Assistant District Attorney Scott Rowland said the rivalry will have no bearing on the way the case is prosecuted.

"It appears that it played a part in the fight," he said, "but that won't play any more of a role in our handling of the case than would a fight over a girl or a car or a song on the jukebox."

Source: CNNSI
BigMattZeus
2/17/11 8:06:58PM

The trees haven't even died yet and people are passing it off like they are absolutely going to. When they do, it will suck for Auburn fans. I have a sneaking suspicion, however, that they're milking the hell out of this and MAGICALLY Toomer's Corner will be saved by a miracle experimental treatment that has a 1-1,000,000 chance of working, but does.

Kind of like how Cam Newton had a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of not getting fined and punished by the NCAA?

Yeah, this guy is retarded, but if holding the whole tradition to the flames for one idiot was par for the course, than Republicans would never have recovered from George W. Bush.

BlueSkiesBurn
2/17/11 8:07:39PM

Posted by BigMattZeus

Kind of like how Cam Newton had a 1 in 1,000,000 chance of not getting fined and punished by the NCAA?

Yeah, this guy is retarded, but if holding the whole tradition to the flames for one idiot was par for the course, than Republicans would never have recovered from George W. Bush.

You ARE Republican. In my eyes, you haven't recovered, Matt.
BigMattZeus
2/17/11 8:09:19PM
Again... Just seems like a good time
BigMattZeus
2/17/11 8:26:49PM
87 seats in the House of Representatives would disagree, but we don't talk politics here brah
mkiv9secsupra
2/18/11 12:16:48AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Karma at its best...

Karma for what exactly?

ummmm CHEATING
gartface
2/18/11 8:36:26AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by gartface

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Karma at its best...

Karma for what exactly?

ummmm CHEATING

Oh you have proof of this? When did Auburn cheat?

I'm going to assume you're talking about Cam Newton. And given that you live in Atlanta, I'm going to make the assumption you're a UGA fan. I'm going to follow that with saying that maybe UGA could have lured Cam into coming to Georgia if they didn't try to recruit him as a tight end.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/18/11 3:47:26PM

Posted by gartface
Oh you have proof of this? When did Auburn cheat?

I'm going to assume you're talking about Cam Newton. And given that you live in Atlanta, I'm going to make the assumption you're a UGA fan. I'm going to follow that with saying that maybe UGA could have lured Cam into coming to Georgia if they didn't try to recruit him as a tight end.

For God's sake, let's NOT rehash the Newton-eligibility argument. You either care about what happened to Auburn or you don't.

I'm on the "I don't care" side of things.
kopower
2/18/11 5:30:12PM
My take on it is that people are idiots. It's just sports. It's one thing to joke around about something but to actually kill trees that have been around for over a hundred years is ridiculous. Call me an environmentalist or whatever but people take things to far. Its even worse that this idiot is 60 years old and didn't even go to the rival college. Im all for having fun but grow up. I can say the same thing for soccer fans as well. Have some respect.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/18/11 5:35:16PM

Posted by kopower

My take on it is that people are idiots. It's just sports. It's one thing to joke around about something but to actually kill trees that have been around for over a hundred years is ridiculous. Call me an environmentalist or whatever but people take things to far. Its even worse that this idiot is 60 years old and didn't even go to the rival college. Im all for having fun but grow up. I can say the same thing for soccer fans as well. Have some respect.

People are making too much of the fact that he didn't actually go to Alabama. That's neither here nor there. Some of the biggest fans of a school don't actually go there. Some of the school of which these people are fans are beyond the majority of the population's price range. Duke, Stanford, BYU, and Vanderbilt would hardly have any fans if only students and alumni supported them.

The guy named his kids Crimson and Bear, I'd say he probably knows more about that team than some of the students.

I got nothing, however, for the age the thing. 60 is too old for evil shenanigans. Cheeky and fun, maybe, but not evil and cruel.
kopower
2/18/11 7:00:40PM
You are right about attending the college one roots for. That's not such a big deal.
BlueSkiesBurn
2/18/11 7:43:01PM

Posted by kopower

You are right about attending the college one roots for. That's not such a big deal.

I've just noticed it in a lot of arguments, both, here and on other outlets. It's like the guy can't be batshit crazy just because he never attended Alabama.

As I explained to FlashyG in my PM's football in the south is ridiculous. In Alabama, you're either Roll Tide or War Damn Eagle. There's no fence to balance on. Oregon is very similar. You're a Duck or you're a Beaver. Here in Southern California, you're USC or UCLA.

Honestly, I blame a lot of the universities for fostering this kind of hate. Indirectly as it may be, universities have a hand in creating the loony behavior of people who cannot separate reality from sport.

USCTMB has fight songs that end with the lyrics "UCLA SUCKS." We sell shirts that say UCLGAY or FUCLA or Don't Bruin Your Life.

I personally have a shirt with a four leaf clover crossed out that says "F*ck The Luck, The Irish Suck" It's in Cardinal and Gold.

Alabama approved the playing of "Go On Take The Money and Run" & "Son of a Preacher Man" during the Iron Bowl which fueled fans who felt that Auburn was cheating. Only problem is that Alabama forgot to win the game.

That's going to leave a lot of people angry and upset and stew over the fact that they felt Auburn were cheaters, Alabama supported that Auburn were cheaters, and, therefore, Auburn MUST have cheated to win. They rationalize this stuff in their heads and then go and do stupid sh*t thinking that they're doing it for the "honor" of their school.

Alabama didn't need to fan the Newton fire any higher than it was already burning under their fans' asses. They should have just played the Iron Bowl like it's always been played. Alabama couldn't leave well enough alone. This is the kind of fanaticism that comes out of feeding those fires.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1