college football... a couple of questions.

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » college football... a couple of questions.
big_timmy
12/30/08 5:01:19AM
What the bloody hell is the deal with all the bowl games? I dont get why all these teams are playing against each other.

Im from Australia, and i watch ESPN like its going outta fashion. And i love nothing more than to watch some NBA or NFL, and college sports.

But what is the deal with all these teams playing bowls? Cause its hardly the top ranked teams playing.... Even in the rose bowl which is the big one apparently, but its got the 5th and 8th ranked teams in it? Im lost.

Please explain.

And also, with over 100 teams competing, which one should i follow?

I watched North Western today i think it was, and i liked their style. They lost, but i think they might be the one thats worth my support.

I follow teams cause of the ideas i got about where they come from. I love dixie stuff, im a bit of a redneck, or a bogan over here, ove my southern rock, beer, bbq, cars, so i like Alabama or Texas, but with bloody 6 teams for either, i dunno.

Any ideas?

Wolfenstein
12/30/08 6:10:46AM
As the number of bowl games has grown (in 2008, there were 34), a bowl game has become a season-ending event for virtually every team with a winning record and the games have gained increased importance for the revenue they bring to participating programs and the opportunity to recruit new players to the teams. (Wikipedia)

That's it in a nutshell.
emfleek
12/30/08 8:59:23AM
The reasoning behind bowl games?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I wouldn't expect a playoff system anytime soon.
cj_striker
12/30/08 9:27:43AM
It's all about money and exposure. It's mostly the more popular teams that get invited to bowl games. Notre Dame for example has really sucked for the past nine or ten years maybe more, but they always get to play in a bowl game because they draw large crowds and support, so the bowl game they play in gets more viewers than a lot of other bowls (therefore bringing in more money for everyone involved)
As far as rooting for someone, you need to root for a Florida team, like Miami Hurricanes, Florida Gators, or USF Bulls. NOT FSU though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/30/08 12:16:06PM

Posted by emfleek

The reasoning behind bowl games?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I wouldn't expect a playoff system anytime soon.

HA! We have an honnest man on the playground lol. Couldn't of said it better myself
big_timmy
12/30/08 5:13:43PM
So... what happens to the top 2 teams? do they play each other in a bowl game? If not, what the **** is the point of playing the season?
RampageOwnedYou
12/30/08 5:21:05PM
Thats why i never watch college football U.S.

Its bowl idea, has to be the stupidest idea EVER.

Thats why for us college sports, all I will ever watch is NCAA Basketball. March Madness is amazing!!

I hope they listen to Obama, and do his playoff idea, lets hope he one day, makes it change. How cool would it be, if football did the march madness idea? But obviously not in March.

Call it, "December Elimination".
FrankTheTank1181
12/30/08 7:04:29PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

Thats why i never watch college football U.S.

Its bowl idea, has to be the stupidest idea EVER.

Thats why for us college sports, all I will ever watch is NCAA Basketball. March Madness is amazing!!

I hope they listen to Obama, and do his playoff idea, lets hope he one day, makes it change. How cool would it be, if football did the march madness idea? But obviously not in March.

Call it, "December Elimination".

They will never get rid of the bowl games, there is too much money involved. However, they can work the playoff system into the bowl games by using the top 8 or 10 or however many teams they want to involve in the playoff. I.E. Winner of Bowl A plays the Winner of Bowl D, and the Winner of Bowl B plays Winner of Bowl C or something like that.
FrankTheTank1181
12/30/08 7:11:04PM

Posted by big_timmy

So... what happens to the top 2 teams? do they play each other in a bowl game? If not, what the **** is the point of playing the season?

The #1 (Oklahoma) and #2 (Florida) BCS-ranked teams play eachother in the top bowl game of the season for the BCS National Championship. This year it is in Florida but it changes every year.
higdon10
12/30/08 7:12:55PM

Posted by big_timmy

Yes, the BCS #1 plays the BCS #2 for the National Championship. Florida will be playing Oklahoma for the title this year.
roadking95th
12/30/08 10:19:27PM
People have already nailed it. It is all about the $$$. There won't be a playoff for a long time, even if one were to use the bowls. The host sites want the teams and fans in the city for the whole week, not just the weekend.

It frustrates me when an ESPN talking head says we need a playoff. He/She should check with their bosses. I read, and I wish I cold now find it now, that ESPN has organized and/or injected the necessary capital to get a lot of the new bowl games started. They want to fill their programing.

I guess getting invited to a minor bowl is exciting if you are the little guys, but it is rather depressing for the powerhouses.

Big Timmy, I would think LSU would be a good fit for you. They start partying at 8am for an 8pm game. I root for Penn State. We know a thing or two about tailgating. Beaver Stadium holds 109,000 fans and there are probably another 20,000 outside partying their asses off during the game.

Oh, as far as the Rose Bowl is concerned, it very well could turn out to be one of the best games! If both teams show up, WOW! I think only the Title game has a chance of being better. Both PSU and USC lost games they shouldn't have. But hey, they both F-ed up.