If Coleman beats Shogun,does that put him in the LHW top 10?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » If Coleman beats Shogun,does that put him in the LHW top 10?
POLL: Where would he stand
Right at 10th 75% (15)
Between 6-10 25% (5)
mrsmiley
1/15/09 2:45:18PM
Well I'll be the first to admit my rankings are flawed (i'm sure everyone's are to a certain degree)
However,I was just wondering about the possibility of Coleman beating Shogun.
I currently have Shogun ranked 8th in the LHW top 10.
For everyone else that has Shogun in their top 10,I must ask the question,
"Where will Coleman stand if he defeats Rua yet again?"

I know Coleman haters would automaticly rule out putting him in the top 10,but I think I honestly might have to possibly,just possibly put him right at 10.
It would be a tough call,but that's why I'm asking the question now,instead of everyone shaking their heads after the fight if Coleman was to win.

So what do you do?

EDIT:Messed up the poll.Sorry guys
grimreaper
1/15/09 2:47:56PM
He does not belong in the top ten
wiggum
1/15/09 3:04:33PM
i currently have rua around 5......i say the rankings change in the manner of defeat....rua wins, no matter what, he doesnt move in my opionon....if coleman wins in lay and pray style, i dont think it gets him to close to the top 10...on the other hand if coleman comes out and blasts away and stops rua in the first rd, then i say he's right on the brink, and needs one more decent win to get him in the top 10......one win doesnt make a top 10 fighter, look at jardine was in alot of peoples top 10 when he got blasted out by houston alexander, and alexander didnt make it in (just an example)
aaa9erh8er
1/15/09 3:40:06PM

Posted by wiggum

i currently have rua around 5......i say the rankings change in the manner of defeat....rua wins, no matter what, he doesnt move in my opionon....if coleman wins in lay and pray style, i dont think it gets him to close to the top 10...on the other hand if coleman comes out and blasts away and stops rua in the first rd, then i say he's right on the brink, and needs one more decent win to get him in the top 10......one win doesnt make a top 10 fighter, look at jardine was in alot of peoples top 10 when he got blasted out by houston alexander, and alexander didnt make it in (just an example)

a win can happen at any time for any reason it doesnt matter imop someone has to have a bunch of quality wins b4 they enter the top ten
sparky
1/15/09 3:48:05PM
Coleman will never be in the top ten this cant be serious even if he completely dominated Shogun I still dont not think he is top ten material!!!
Twenty20Dollars
1/15/09 3:55:26PM
ha
Wolfenstein
1/15/09 4:22:57PM
A lot of meta-rankings probably will list Coleman as top ten, especially a system like Fight Matrix that automatically puts you one spot ahead of your previously beaten opponent. It's the reason I hold rankings based upon opinion in higher regard because a mathematic formula for ranking fighters is never going to be 100% accurate. Instead I think you need a combination of a mathematic formula, a meta-ranking that takes into account the rankings of several respected sites, and the opinion of MMA experts all weighed as an equal third of the ranking criteria.

Anyways I wouldn't rank him as top ten. I think it would definetely plummet Rua further down my rankings than it would elevate Coleman in my rankings.
nellyhiphophead
1/15/09 5:39:32PM
maybe 12th-15th i would say just by beating one guy can't put you that high in teh lhw div its not like the hw div you got to many guys that are to good at 205 to put mark ahead of them all off one win. even with a win for shogun i won't put him any higher then 8th
NatedawgThaM
1/15/09 6:52:52PM

I think it gets him pretty darn close. I think it gets him a shot at somebody at the bottom of the top 10 to get into it. Then he can go from their if he actually is the real deal. I don't know but I actually think he could pull it off agianst Shogun. I mean if he's as commited as he says he is and is training his butt off like he said he is and would.

I definitely think you got to give anybody who's mad strong with great wrestling a good shot in any fight. I mean Shogun has never really wow'd anybody off his back yet IMO. I think with working that submission defense he could definitely grind out a decision. I'm actually picking that. We've seen crazier things, I just believe it.
prozacnation1978
1/15/09 7:04:27PM
i have rua in top5 just cause wandy and lidell are out of it

top 5 no order

evans
machida
rampage
rua
giffin

even a upset win over shogun would not push him in top 10 maybe top 13 though another win say over a lidell in march would be huge
keith-hackney1
1/16/09 6:16:11AM
anybody eles on here taking coleman ??
I know both fighters well as a fan of pridefc. I have all of each fighters bouts under the pride organization.
I seriously believe coleman can do it. At 205 - weve never seen a scaled down coleman. Shogun looked like he had the skill set of giant silva in his UFC debut.
Coleman has only fought the best of the best in last few fights, loosing twice to fedor and once to crocop. Just think how much more coleman could have improved, he's taken two years out, healed up, dropped down to 205 and worked out with some of the best in the game, he's even began to train jj.
If coleman pulls the upset, i will laugh my head off. I think he could do it.
casey64
1/16/09 9:46:28AM
A win over Shogun, for Coleman wont launch him to the top ten.
JimiMak
1/16/09 9:44:32PM
First off this is why I don't believe in rankings. But no matter how mark wins he'll need to do more that beating a questionable Shogun. If Shogun loses, no matter how, he prob'ly drops from the top ten just cuz the div is so stacked. We may never see in the UFC the Shogun we once knew, hell he loses a lot of his weapons cuz of the rules, nevermind the fact that he has been so injured etc lately.

JMO
Tonley
1/17/09 11:34:42AM
I've got Shogun ranked 10th so it Coleman pulls it off I say it puts him in the 10th-15th range.