Coker: Even With Fedor Win, Overeem Fight No Guarantee

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Coker: Even With Fedor Win, Overeem Fight No Guarantee
DCRage
5/16/10 2:05:16PM
Scott Coker has a little bit of advice for those assuming Fedor Emelianenko vs. Alistair Overeem for the Strikeforce Heavyweight Title will happen if Fedor beats Fabricio Werdum next month: Don't. It's not guaranteed. Coker says it's wait and see, and of course they would have to talk to M-1 Global after 6/26. And if Werdum wins, forget it.

Article
mrsmiley
5/16/10 2:29:22PM
Death to M1.
I love Fedor and consider him the best HW out their but their comes a time where perhaps if he feels that he is as good as we the fans make him out to be,then he's just gonna have to buck up and make choices for himself.
In some ways I could see Fedor becoming to the opening of the 21st century what Rickson Gracie was to the end of the 20th.
Twenty20Dollars
5/16/10 2:41:35PM

why coker?
Kpro
5/16/10 2:52:20PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

why coker?

He knows how negotiations with M1 go but can't flat out say it publicly or he'd risk M1 being even worse in negotiations than they have been in the past.

I bet Coker will have many many many things to say about M1 publicly once he no longer has a reason to deal with them.
Aether
5/16/10 2:57:46PM
God I hate M-1. I really hope Fedor jumps ship when his contract is finally done with them. I'm not very optimistic that that will happen. If he doesn't then I'd say his career is pretty much over in the competitive sense. He might make a bunch of money fighting in strikeforce, but if he stays with M-1 we're never going to see him fight the new crop of top heavyweights.

I've defended Fedor for a long time from people saying this and that about how he would lose to so and so, but the HW landscape is finally starting to look like it can pose real problems for him. I still have to pick him against anyone, but things are now getting to the point where I feel that the HW division is catching up with him, and M-1 are doing everything in their power to prevent him from continuing to improve by preventing him from fighting the best HWs.

I still have no clue where Fedor himself stands in all of this. ie: if he genuinely agrees with M-1 or if he's just going along amicably to finish out his contract. I know he owns part of the company, but that doesn't mean he agrees with what it's become or that he has any direct control over how it operates. I guess we'll have to wait to see what happens when the contract expires, if M-1 doesn't drag his next 2 fights out for 5 years and 15 contract re-negotiations.

Scumbags.
wrona666
5/16/10 3:44:37PM
Because M1 knows that Fedor can lose to Overeem and they won't let that happen
Giant_Ochai
5/16/10 8:22:13PM

Posted by wrona666

Because M1 knows that Fedor can lose to Overeem and they won't let that happen

M-1 is not a living being. The people who run it do know that Fedor can beat Overeem just like Werdum did.
bjj1605
5/16/10 9:14:26PM
This right here is the argument for why Dana White's micromanagement is good for the sport. This would never happen with two fighters under UFC contract.

This is a perfect example of why Fedor is no longer P4P champs or maybe even #1 HW. He's not fighting anyone.

The winner of Brock vs Carwin will take his spot. And if not one of them the winner of the next UFC HW Title Fight. Fedor can't keep a number one spot when his management refuses to let him fight anyone. I started losing faith in Fedor's mystical powers after he struggled against Brett Rogers (IMO he was never close to a top ten HW).
ChokeUout
5/17/10 12:44:36AM

Posted by bjj1605

This right here is the argument for why Dana White's micromanagement is good for the sport. This would never happen with two fighters under UFC contract.

This is a perfect example of why Fedor is no longer P4P champs or maybe even #1 HW. He's not fighting anyone.

The winner of Brock vs Carwin will take his spot. And if not one of them the winner of the next UFC HW Title Fight. Fedor can't keep a number one spot when his management refuses to let him fight anyone. I started losing faith in Fedor's mystical powers after he struggled against Brett Rogers (IMO he was never close to a top ten HW).

This guy hit the nail on the head.

Is there anyone still complaining about the exclusive contracts the UFC uses?

This is a perfect example that even if the contracts aren't exclusive, it doesn't mean "dream fights" are more likely to happen. In fact, it could mean the opposite.

Fedor says he'll fight Overeem, I'll beleive it when I see it.

With the Antics that Fedor/M-1 has pulled, I'm actually glad that Fedor didn't sign with the UFC last July when Affliction folded.

Mark my words, Fedor will be the death of Strikeforce
lohmann
5/17/10 12:54:03AM

Posted by ChokeUout

Posted by bjj1605

This guy hit the nail on the head.

Is there anyone still complaining about the exclusive contracts the UFC uses?

This is a perfect example that even if the contracts aren't exclusive, it doesn't mean "dream fights" are more likely to happen. In fact, it could mean the opposite.

Fedor says he'll fight Overeem, I'll beleive it when I see it.

With the Antics that Fedor/M-1 has pulled, I'm actually glad that Fedor didn't sign with the UFC last July when Affliction folded.

Mark my words, Fedor will be the death of Strikeforce

I disagree with a lot of this.

It's not exclusive contracts that should be complained about; it's about how the UFC can run a fighter's profile into the ground because after a fighter inks one of their contracts they become like chattel for Zuffa brass. Dana White is MMA's version of Don King: how he wanted complete control over Randy Couture's rights to Randy Couture reminds me of how Don King dictates what his clients can and cannot do. I will not give M-1 props for their business management or decisions regarding Fedor Emelianenko, because they are mismanaging his legacy, but I don't disagree with their decision to remove themselves from the UFC's iron-fisted fighter policies. (I really wish a fighters' union happens.)

Fedor doesn't fight cans. He's fight solid fighters that don't happen to be A-level fighters (anymore). Brett Rogers would beat almost everybody at heavyweight in the world except for ten or fifteen of the most skilled competitors, and that does not make him a can.

And Strikeforce has a lot of issues regarding depth and prospects that are much more of a long-term liability, when all their champions jump ship to the UFC, than Fedor Emelianenko.
postman
5/17/10 7:59:18AM
I mean after Rodgers lost I think the obvious choice to fight Alister would be AA right?
darren67
5/17/10 8:46:11AM
What do you mean struggle against Brett, Rogers is twise as big and Fedor kicked his butt.
finnish_line
5/17/10 9:06:58AM

Here's what I don't get.

Coker says that if Fedor loses to Werdum he can forget about a title shot against Overeem.

Why?

We JUST SAW the guy who lost to Fedor via knockout get an immediate title shot.

Strikeforce is problematic.

Posted by postman

I mean after Rodgers lost I think the obvious choice to fight Alister would be AA right?

Arlovski? He just lost bad to Bigfoot.
postman
5/17/10 9:17:12AM

Posted by finnish_line

Here's what I don't get.

Coker says that if Fedor loses to Werdum he can forget about a title shot against Overeem.

Why?

We JUST SAW the guy who lost to Fedor via knockout get an immediate title shot.

Strikeforce is problematic.

Posted by postman

Arlovski? He just lost bad to Bigfoot.

And you answered your own question.

Coker says that if Fedor loses to Werdum he can forget about a title shot against Overeem. We JUST SAW the guy who lost to Fedor via knockout get an immediate title shot.

finnish_line
5/17/10 10:40:58AM

Posted by postman

And you answered your own question.

I was commenting on Strikeforce's lack of sense. Rogers loses and gets a title shot, but the same can't happen for Fedor. No way.

If Coker had come out and said "Well that Rogers title shot was the dumbest thing we've ever done and we've learned from it." that's one thing.
postman
5/17/10 11:04:20AM
You are miss undersatnding me. It was a joke that Rodgers got the title shot after losing to Fedor. It would be a joke if AA got a shot after losing to Big Foot. Its all a big Joke! Get it?
finnish_line
5/17/10 11:28:45AM

Ah.

We're all getting very meta here with our humor.
sbulldavid
5/17/10 1:29:44PM
Werdum might be the best fighter that Fedor has ever fought, skill and physical abilities taken into consideration. I won't be surprised if Werdum is the guy to end Fedor's reign at the top, and I only consider Werdum a top 15 fighter. I am certain now that Fedor doesn't belong in the top spot any longer, I just hope he fights in the UFC before he loses.

I think that he will go down as the greatest winner in MMA history. I just think he will be remembered more like Marciano instead of Ali, and that is because he's hung around too long without fighting the other top contenders, and it really is a shame because it dims his brilliance a bit.
postman
5/17/10 2:02:39PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Werdum might be the best fighter that Fedor has ever fought, skill and physical abilities taken into consideration. I won't be surprised if Werdum is the guy to end Fedor's reign at the top, and I only consider Werdum a top 15 fighter

Come on Werdum's standup isn't anything better then good his wrestling is sloppy and he has fantastic subs. Common opponet in AA Werdum lost a UD Fedor wins by KO. There is no better then a 2% chance Werdum wins that fight. I will be willing to put my avatar up 3 months to 1 if your intrested.
postman
5/17/10 2:06:31PM

Posted by finnish_line

Ah.

We're all getting very meta here with our humor.

I supose. I will have to admit I had to look up Meta humor in order to respond. So I learned something new, some good came of this I guess.
sbulldavid
5/17/10 3:59:40PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Werdum might be the best fighter that Fedor has ever fought, skill and physical abilities taken into consideration. I won't be surprised if Werdum is the guy to end Fedor's reign at the top, and I only consider Werdum a top 15 fighter

Posted by postman

Come on Werdum's standup isn't anything better then good his wrestling is sloppy and he has fantastic subs. Common opponet in AA Werdum lost a UD Fedor wins by KO. There is no better then a 2% chance Werdum wins that fight. I will be willing to put my avatar up 3 months to 1 if your intrested.

I said I wouldn't be surprised, did not say it would happen. I'm just trying to say, that I am ready to say that the Lesner/Carwin winner is the number one heavyweight in the world. Overeem and Silva have just broken down the facade of Fedors recent wins in huge fights.

postman
5/17/10 5:22:57PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Posted by sbulldavid

Werdum might be the best fighter that Fedor has ever fought , skill and physical abilities taken into consideration. I won't be surprised if Werdum is the guy to end Fedor's reign at the top, and I only consider Werdum a top 15 fighter

Posted by postman

I said I wouldn't be surprised, did not say it would happen. I'm just trying to say, that I am ready to say that the Lesner/Carwin winner is the number one heavyweight in the world. Overeem and Silva have just broken down the facade of Fedors recent wins in huge fights.

Ahhh the wonders of MMA Math. And you actually said that "Werdum might be the best fighter that Fedor has ever fought Forgetting Big Nog, CroCop, Renato Sobral, Heath Herring, Ricardo Arona to name a few.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/17/10 7:48:35PM
I'm actually just tired of M-1 period. Their belief in their product astounds me. I mean, seriously, your product IS Fedor and you're not letting him fight anyone of merit. I'm sure the reason they let him fight Arlovski is because he and Fedor are basically mirror images of each other but for the fact that Fedor is a Sith Lord to Arlovski's apprentice status.
sbulldavid
5/18/10 12:24:11PM

Posted by sbulldavid
Werdum might be the best fighter that Fedor has ever fought , skill and physical abilities taken into consideration. I won't be surprised if Werdum is the guy to end Fedor's reign at the top, and I only consider Werdum a top 15 fighter

Posted by postman

Posted by sbulldavid

Posted by postman
Ahhh the wonders of MMA Math. And you actually said that "Werdum might be the best fighter that Fedor has ever fought Forgetting Big Nog, CroCop, Renato Sobral, Heath Herring, Ricardo Arona to name a few.

Nobody those guys have beaten lately are top guys at heavyweight anymore. Werdum is a bigger, stronger, version of Nog. Those are all second generation MMA fighters, and that is why none of them are having much success lately. It means nothing to me that Fedor can beat top 10-15 guys, it's time for him to step up and start destroying guys that are dangerous in reality and not just on paper.
postman
5/19/10 2:12:22PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Posted by sbulldavid

Posted by postman

Posted by sbulldavid

Posted by postman

Nobody those guys have beaten lately are top guys at heavyweight anymore. Werdum is a bigger, stronger, version of Nog. Those are all second generation MMA fighters, and that is why none of them are having much success lately. It means nothing to me that Fedor can beat top 10-15 guys, it's time for him to step up and start destroying guys that are dangerous in reality and not just on paper.

What you fail to understand is Fedor dosn't care about legacy he wants to make money and as much of it as he can. He has a share in M1 and that is how he sees himself having the largest nest egg to retire on. You might not like that but as with Legacys i'm sure Fedor dosn't care who you want to see him fight. I'm not sure how we got to this point but all i was saying Werdum gets beat by Fedor for sure. As far as top 15 goes AA was considered #2 at the time Fedor beat him its not Fedors fault what happend to him after that not that Fedor cares.