Coker Doesn’t Care What M-1 Wants, Says Fedor Will Fight Overeem, Bigfoot or Kharitonov Next

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Coker Doesn’t Care What M-1 Wants, Says Fedor Will Fight Overeem, Bigfoot or Kharitonov Next
SmileR
7/17/10 1:38:22PM
Despite claims by Fabricio Werdum’s manager that his client’s impending elbow surgery is not as severe as initially reported and that he’ll be willing and able to get back in action later this year, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker says a rematch with Fedor Emelianenko isn’t in the cards, at least not right now. Coker told Sherdog.com on Saturday that when he restarts negotiations about Fedor’s future with M-1 Global next week his short list of prospective opponents will include Alistair Overeem, Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva and Sergei Kharitonov.

As for M-1’s insistence that Emelianenko be granted an immediate rematch with Werdum in the wake of the Brazilian’s stunning victory over Fedor late last month, well, the suddenly badass Coker doesn’t appear to give a damn about that.

“I just don’t think they’ll have a choice,” he told Loretta Hunt.

Link
Twenty20Dollars
7/17/10 1:44:14PM
I thought Bigfoot and Kharitonov were fighting each other. I guess whoever fedor picks to fight the other two guys that werent picked will fight each other...
gsp69
7/17/10 3:06:03PM
prob means fedor wil get loser of that fight n overeem gets winner,
that would b sensible move, but who has eva accused strikeforce of being sensible??

Aether
7/17/10 6:00:10PM
ok it's official, no one on earth cares what M-1 wants now.
meier
7/17/10 7:08:45PM
they are like the high school pricks/teacher's pet of mma
icantthinkofanything
7/17/10 9:51:26PM
Coker does have a right to make his own matchups
I want
Fedor vs Overeem
bjj1605
7/17/10 11:16:37PM
There you go, take the UFC approach to handling Fedor. It's worked great for Dana
fizzle
7/18/10 12:12:54AM

Posted by bjj1605

There you go, take the UFC approach to handling Fedor. It's worked great for Dana

Its better than pandering to the every whim of M-1. If there is a united front that M-1 can't do or demand whatever they please they'll have to give in sooner or later or go out of business.
bjj1605
7/18/10 12:41:50AM

Posted by fizzle

Posted by bjj1605

Its better than pandering to the every whim of M-1. If there is a united front that M-1 can't do or demand whatever they please they'll have to give in sooner or later or go out of business.

I completely agree. And if no one would have given in to M1 in the first place than we might have Fedor in the UFC (because there'd be no better option). However I think it is a bit hypocritical of him. He was willing enough to co-promote and give into M1 demands before. Could it have something to do with Fedor's first loss?
BlueSkiesBurn
7/18/10 12:55:24AM

Posted by Aether

ok it's official, no one on earth cares what M-1 wants now.

fizzle
7/18/10 2:09:59PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by fizzle

Posted by bjj1605

I completely agree. And if no one would have given in to M1 in the first place than we might have Fedor in the UFC (because there'd be no better option). However I think it is a bit hypocritical of him. He was willing enough to co-promote and give into M1 demands before. Could it have something to do with Fedor's first loss?

Thats a really good point. I guess I'm just in the "better late than never" boat.
hate4thestate
7/18/10 2:32:37PM
it sucks to say this but im kinda glad Werdum got his elbow injuryed. i know its a horrible thing to say and its not that i dislike werdum but honestly i think fedor dismantles werdum the second time around. but because of the injury it could possibly set up overeem fedor which is much much more exciting imo.

btw i like werdum and wish him no harm but ive been wanting overeem and fedor for awhile and i want to see the **** lol.
Twenty20Dollars
7/19/10 1:06:31AM

Posted by hate4thestate

it sucks to say this but im kinda glad Werdum got his elbow injuryed. i know its a horrible thing to say and its not that i dislike werdum but honestly i think fedor dismantles werdum the second time around. but because of the injury it could possibly set up overeem fedor which is much much more exciting imo.

btw i like werdum and wish him no harm but ive been wanting overeem and fedor for awhile and i want to see the **** lol.

I agree on this, it's like I didnt want to see a rematch of Fedor/Werdum so soon and fedor was like he wants the werdum rematch and if he doesnt get it he might not resign with SF. Fedor could kinda have to resign if he wants that rematch with Werdum.
Pookie
7/19/10 4:13:28AM
Strikeforce finally has all the leverage.

Not only did M-1 lose its trump card, but Since the UFC has formally withdrawn there offers to fedor... Fedor's Management cant mack strikeforce for all its worth anymore.